• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I am not sure whether you consider yourself a conservative or not, but I'll ask you this.

Have you or anyone you associate with now or at any time considered yourself alt-right, white supremacist or Nazi?

Neither have I or anyone that I know.

There is no reason for conservatives to "break" with them because we have never been in agreement with them.

Democrats have.
    Okay. Fair enough. What I was mostly referencing was the unite the right rally in Charlottesville, a last year. It was organized by the alt right. Do you remember the sea of tiki torches? It made it seem like the alt-right/white nationalists had a huge following. And that’s the way the press covered it.

I watched several video streams of the event that day. These were just regular free speech advocates. They thought they were joining causes with other conservatives. Maybe that was naive. Maybe the alt-right leaders kinda hid who they were. But the people I saw streaming, weren’t white nationalists. There were black people streaming with them for crying out loud! And what they were protesting for free speech. Some of them were juzt there to mix it up with Antifa thugs. And there was plenty of that.

But then the car rammed through the crowd and killed that woman. A year later, 25 people showed up to the 2nd Unite the right rally just a couple of months ago. In think that’s a pretty good sign that when conservatives realize they’ve been tangled up with the alt right, they’re homest enough to reject them. I’ve written about this elsewhere. That statement was just shorthabd for this explanation.

I don’t believe the right IS associated with the alt-right. Those people aren’t even conservatives. Other than the kind of uninformed association like with Charlottesville, the left makes unsubstantiated claims that pretty much anyone on the right is “alt-right”.

As for me, I lean conservative. That’s my bias. But, I’m a fiscal conservative. Socially I’m moderate to classically liberal. In other words, live and let live.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Your knowledge of these things puts you closer to the three people that make up their core (probably Russian hackers) than I.

The hacker thing is a sort of unverifiable claim. But anyway, if you use social media and you pay attention to the people who talk about culture war issues, you’ll hear about the people who are legitimately alt-right. Probably not Rissian hackers.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Rational conservatives have never embraced the far right idiots. Can't say the same for liberals. Antifa is alive and well due to this seeming acceptance of their activities.

This is exactly how the KKK survived for so long and so well in certain areas of the country.

Folks nearby where the KKK thrived would say, internally, "Well... I really don't agree with what they're all about or what they're doing but some folks are coming around, stirring up trouble, and getting uppity. So I won't do anything to oppose them as I sympathize with their anger and frustration."

The same goes for some moderate liberals and moderate conservatives. They don't like what the Alt-Right or Antifa does or how it does it, but they DO sympathize with their extremists frustrations and rage.

I see this more from liberals today than conservatives, but not completely. Most folks on the right denounce the racism and violence entirely, while liberals tend to equivocate and fail to completely denounce the Antifa movement. Not entirely, but mostly.

The last presidential election hit EVERYONE hard! For conservatives Wednesday was a day of joy. For liberals it was a day of shock and despair, even more so due to the overwhelming media AND polling data that was contributing to an expectation of victory. Imagine what will happen in 2020 if Trump is ahead in the polls by about 5 - 10% everywhere and then LOSES? Then the conservatives will be equally shellshocked as the liberals today.

What the media and pundits have failed to push and ram home is the failure of the Clinton campaign! There were reports out of Michigan (a state she lost) from democratic operatives calling her campaign extremely worried as they were NOT seeing the enthusiasm and yard signs that they should. The Michigan democratic party did its job! They watched, analyzed, and reported problems. Yet the Clinton campaign did NOTHING! She never visited the state even once after the primary defeat of Bernie Sanders. NEVER. ONCE! Had she gone back and campaigned throughout Michigan for a day or two she may well have energized the democrats and taken the state, but she didn't.

This is another reason liberals are angry, they aren't having their noses rubbed in their candidates poor campaigning, along with their parties internal favoring of Clinton over Sanders. Had the DNC not "cheated" against Sanders she still would have won and not angered Bernie supporters, some of whom did not turn out for her once they realized they were stabbed in the back.

Regards,

Doug

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Okay. Fair enough. What I was mostly referencing was the unite the right rally in Charlottesville, a last year. It was organized by the alt right. Do you remember the sea of tiki torches? It made it seem like the alt-right/white nationalists had a huge following. And that’s the way the press covered it.

I watched several video streams of the event that day. These were just regular free speech advocates. They thought they were joining causes with other conservatives. Maybe that was naive. Maybe the alt-right leaders kinda hid who they were. But the people I saw streaming, weren’t white nationalists. There were black people streaming with them for crying out loud! And what they were protesting for free speech. Some of them were juzt there to mix it up with Antifa thugs. And there was plenty of that.

But then the car rammed through the crowd and killed that woman. A year later, 25 people showed up to the 2nd Unite the right rally just a couple of months ago. In think that’s a pretty good sign that when conservatives realize they’ve been tangled up with the alt right, they’re homest enough to reject them. I’ve written about this elsewhere. That statement was just shorthabd for this explanation.

I don’t believe the right IS associated with the alt-right. Those people aren’t even conservatives. Other than the kind of uninformed association like with Charlottesville, the left makes unsubstantiated claims that pretty much anyone on the right is “alt-right”.

As for me, I lean conservative. That’s my bias. But, I’m a fiscal conservative. Socially I’m moderate to classically liberal. In other words, live and let live.

OK I'll accept that reasoning.

Yeah Trump got, and still gets, a lot of flack over saying there were good people among the Unite the Right crowd. I have not paid a lot of attention to that rally.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The hacker thing is a sort of unverifiable claim. But anyway, if you use social media and you pay attention to the people who talk about culture war issues, you’ll hear about the people who are legitimately alt-right. Probably not Rissian hackers.

Oh, :poop: did I forget to put that in grape cool aid?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

This is exactly how the KKK survived for so long and so well in certain areas of the country.

Folks nearby where the KKK thrived would say, internally, "Well... I really don't agree with what they're all about or what they're doing but some folks are coming around, stirring up trouble, and getting uppity. So I won't do anything to oppose them as I sympathize with their anger and frustration."

The same goes for some moderate liberals and moderate conservatives. They don't like what the Alt-Right or Antifa does or how it does it, but they DO sympathize with their extremists frustrations and rage.

I see this more from liberals today than conservatives, but not completely. Most folks on the right denounce the racism and violence entirely, while liberals tend to equivocate and fail to completely denounce the Antifa movement. Not entirely, but mostly.

The last presidential election hit EVERYONE hard! For conservatives Wednesday was a day of joy. For liberals it was a day of shock and despair, even more so due to the overwhelming media AND polling data that was contributing to an expectation of victory.
    Imagine what will happen in 2020 if Trump is ahead in the polls by about 5 - 10% everywhere and then LOSES? Then the conservatives will be equally shellshocked as the liberals today.

What the media and pundits have failed to push and ram home is the failure of the Clinton campaign! There were reports out of Michigan (a state she lost) from democratic operatives calling her campaign extremely worried as they were NOT seeing the enthusiasm and yard signs that they should. The Michigan democratic party did its job! They watched, analyzed, and reported problems. Yet the Clinton campaign did NOTHING! She never visited the state even once after the primary defeat of Bernie Sanders. NEVER. ONCE! Had she gone back and campaigned throughout Michigan for a day or two she may well have energized the democrats and taken the state, but she didn't.

This is another reason liberals are angry, they aren't having their noses rubbed in their candidates poor campaigning, along with their parties internal favoring of Clinton over Sanders. Had the DNC not "cheated" against Sanders she still would have won and not angered Bernie supporters, some of whom did not turn out for her once they realized they were stabbed in the back.

Regards,

Doug
    Yes, there would be shock and disappointment, but I'd wager conservatives wouldn't be putting on penis hats, having nervous breakdowns, marching on Washington and threatening Democrats with violence and harassment.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    You need to close your sock drawer and get out more. Clintons are no longer in charge of anything.

It's either Hillary or.....

KB4vOb4.jpg

Feinstein can't think for herself.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Yes, there would be shock and disappointment, but I'd wager conservatives won't be putting on penis hats, having nervous breakdowns, marching on Washington and threatening Democrats with violence and harassment.

Hey....
    That's a good idea. :rolleyes:

We could run around and Bullcharge all the *****heads.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

Imagine what will happen in 2020 if Trump is ahead in the polls by about 5 - 10% everywhere and then LOSES? Then the conservatives will be equally shellshocked as the liberals today.

Regards,

Doug

Ah, But the reaction would be QUITE different.

Not you but, some say there is no difference, I would counter there is some difference.

Top Bottom