• actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

latin
    The Latin root word mal means “bad” or “evil.” This root is the word origin of many English vocabulary words, including malformed, maltreat, and malice. You can recall that mal means “bad” through malfunction, or a “badly” working part, and that it means “evil” through malice, or intentional “evil” done to another.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    latin
    The Latin root word mal means “bad” or “evil.” This root is the word origin of many English vocabulary words, including malformed, maltreat, and malice. You can recall that mal means “bad” through malfunction, or a “badly” working part, and that it means “evil” through malice, or intentional “evil” done to another.
    Retirement has turned you into a budding etymologist! ;)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Well, to start with...
    • Malum In Se meaning "That which is wrong in itself"
    • Malum Prohibitum meaning "That which is wrong because it is prohibited"

Also.. it was in the Firefly series.
    River: Mal. “Bad.” In the Latin.
    Etymology is one of those fields where if I thought there was money to be made, I would have loved to devote more time to it. I have taken Latin, French, and Spanish classes formally in my much younger days and "self-taught" Greek and just now starting on Hebrew. The latter two with more of an emphasis on reading rather than speaking.

A byproduct of all that is knowing the roots of lots of words and how they got combined and brought down to us in English.

It brings out the geekish side of me. :)

As a jr high student, I took Latin because everyone said that was a great way to learn the meanings of English words. On;ly by studying Greek have I learned the Latins took it all from the Greeks eheh.

Oh but back on topic. Ka MAL a esta mal! Muy mal!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    latin

If we are going Latin, let me state clearly that Kommila is nothing but a communistarum fragmen stercore.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Top Bottom