• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You will be able to in about a year or less. Once people quit paying these inflated prices and when the manufactures catch up, you will be able to find $700 and $800 dollar AR's again.

I'll tell you what. I'll pay you cash money for all of your AR's, AK's, 223 ammo, and 7.62x39 ammo at 6 months ago prices. If you can't replace them within a year, I'll only charge you a 5% repurchase fee at your sale price. Are you that confident that you'll find $700 AR's again?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I think the funny thing about this is If a individual does this Its capitalism. If a gun shop who is a actual business does this its gouging, and they should sell at 6 months ago pricing and watch joe blow make more on gunbroker with their product than they did:twocents:.

As far as the price the op sold his ammo at, I didnt pay it so I really dont care. I just wanted to point out the double standard

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I think the funny thing about this is If a individual does this Its capitalism. If a gun shop who is a actual business does this its gouging, and they should sell at 6 months ago pricing and watch joe blow make more on gunbroker with their product than they did:twocents:.

As far as the price the op sold his ammo at, I didnt pay it so I really dont care. I just wanted to point out the double standard

No double standard on my part. A person or business has the right to price THEIR property at whatever point they want. It's THEIRS. I'm not entitled to it at whatever price I want to pay.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A

I agree, there does seem to be a double standard for dealers. And on top of that, if someone found out that you had an AR in the back that you decided to run on gunbroker, then you are a gouger for not letting them have it at normal retail.:twocents:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I'll tell you what. I'll pay you cash money for all of your AR's, AK's, 223 ammo, and 7.62x39 ammo at 6 months ago prices. If you can't replace them within a year, I'll only charge you a 5% repurchase fee at your sale price. Are you that confident that you'll find $700 AR's again?

I got rid of my "cheap" AR's long ago, if I had a $700 PSA and someone offered me $1800 for it, then I would no longer own it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I got rid of my "cheap" AR's long ago, if I had a $700 PSA and someone offered me $1800 for it, then I would no longer own it.

I don't get the logic here. We were assured that if Obama was reelected, a gun ban was guaranteed. He got elected. Now there's a panic because of the proposed legislation after the Newtown shooting. Now we're told a ban isn't going to happen and that people need to quit paying these inflated prices because everything will return to normal. For those stating that prices will come back down, put your stuff up at 6 month ago prices and buy again when prices go back down. Unless they're not that confident a ban will not go through or that prices will come back down.

For all the bellyaching about price gouging, buyers paying inflated prices, etc, 99% of the posts here regarding it are nothing but noise. Those complaining about the high prices sellers are asking aren't willing to sell their stuff at prices they think others should charge. Those complaining about buyers paying high prices aren't willing to sell their stuff at normal prices and take the bet that they will be able to repurchase later at normal prices.

There are many factors of the buyer/seller relationship. Many only seem to want to cherrypick the factors they want and think those should be the only thing affecting prices. Sellers are taking the gamble that they'll never be able to replace what they sold. Buyers are taking the gamble that if they wait, they won't be able to buy in the future.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I'm not complaining about a free market or anything else. I was just suggesting that if I had a $700 dollar rifle, and someone offered me $1800 for it, I would have sold it. We all know that kind of money could easily buy a better AR in the future.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    300.jpg

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Supply and demand and price curves are a natural rationing system. When .223 goes to $12/round I guarantee there will be some on the shelves if you really need it. I think a gas pump should be programmed to start raising prices when the tank gets to 20% supply. Thenthe last 100 gallons should sell for $100/gallon or whatever it takes to ensure that there is always 10 gallons to sell. This stops the hoarders from going nuts during evacuation time and you only buy enough gas to get where you're going, not to fill every can you own.

The retailer is expected to charge their particular markup and not get sucked into the panic level buying price increase. I generally dislike retailers jacking up the price of the hard to find toy or whatever. That being said, it makes sense during times of crisis.

If a hurricane is going to hit all of Florida and the whole state has to evacuate, the first Georgian hotel should quadruple their rates so Bobby and Jane don't take three rooms for themselves, two kids, and in-laws. Because if they do that at normal rack rates, then Peggy and Jon won't have any rooms for their family and will have to keep driving.

It's up for debate as to whether ammo and gun parts are equivalent to housing during time of extreme weather. I figure if a retailer is getting X% markup all year long and are happy, they should continue to be happy during a crunch time at that markup. The downside is there's no inventory to sell so much like cash-for-clunkers it was really good for a few weeks and then died.

I dunno... retailers just run the risk of putting a bad taste in the mouths of their customers if they inflate prices just because they can. It is a double standard but will probably never change.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Guess I should've written it in purple. As long a people keep prostituting ammo, mags, guns, etc prices will remain high. I have stuff I could sell for big bucks but refuse to do that to my fellow shooters for the sake of the almighty dollar. Many of the people *****ing about prices are the same ones that sell items for inflated prices on other sites. Everyone needs to be able to live with themselves though and it appears from your boasting that you don't see anything wrong in what your doing. Hope it's worth it to you. :twocents:
    You are so clueless on market economics its laughable. Nobody is driving prices up except the people that are trying to buy ammo and willing to pay high prices for the last little bit on the market. It's simple market economics and if you don't understand it then stop blabbering your mouth about it. Some people just don't understand economics, I understand that, but I highly recommend those that don't understand it to shut their mouth about it because it makes ... well, you know, you've heard the saying, "Always better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and confirm that you're a fool"...

The people willing to sell ammo out of their personal stash to help with the supply crunch are doing a favor to those that need ammo and are willing to pay current market price for it. They are taking a risk that they won't be able to replace that ammo for a reasonable price anytime soon. For some its a calculated risk worth taking, for others, they aren't risking it. It's a matter of personal choice so who are you to force your opinion upon others?

When the SHTF good luck throwing 20's at the zombies. You got screwed!
    Most people selling ammo during times like these aren't hurting for ammo (otherwise they wouldn't be selling). Me personally, I'm still considering selling some ammo to help fund other purchases. I have an abundance of factory ammo that I no longer shoot because I reload. As a matter of fact, at current market rates I have nearly $10,000 worth of factory ammo set back. I'm not worried about having ammo to shoot when the SHTF, I have plenty of other ammo. But that $10k will fund some other preps quite nicely, IE, getting my mortgage that much closer to being paid off, or buying a nice chunk of land to live on etc...

Making a profit is called good business.
    Bragging about it to your peers is called arrogance.
    I disagree. The OP is keeping everybody updated on the ammo market. I don't think his post was meant to brag, it was meant to point out how crazy some ammo prices are right now. To be honest, $1200 for 1k rounds of 223 ammo is the highest I've heard of and it comes as a welcome "market update" in my mind.

I think a lot of the "complainers" about shops raising their prices are the same people that are complaining about people selling their personal stash at inflated prices and vice-versa. I personally, am not complaining about anybody that is selling at the high prices. Would I like to buy at prices from 3 months ago? Yes, but it's a unique market and those of us with more brains than money just have to endure it. Nothing will return the market to normal except: #1 change in political climate, #2 the people that need/want these items run out of money, or #3 the people that need/want these items fill their needs.

The supply isn't going to change much except for a few people selling out of their personal stash. The demand is what is driving this.

Hajisc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   1
    Oct 11, 2012
    Westville,In.
    As far as the prices going back to a couple months ago,I believe its just like taxes and the price of gas once it goes up it might fluctuate a little but it will never come back down all the way.The days of cheap ar's and ammo is over. The greed and panic has set in .As you all have seen in the last month people that weren't interested in guns three months ago are flocking to gun shows and stores to buy anything they can due to the panic of everything being taken away and possible profit they can make in the long run.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You are so clueless on market economics its laughable. Nobody is driving prices up except the people that are trying to buy ammo and willing to pay high prices for the last little bit on the market. It's simple market economics and if you don't understand it then stop blabbering your mouth about it. Some people just don't understand economics, I understand that, but I highly recommend those that don't understand it to shut their mouth about it because it makes ... well, you know, you've heard the saying, "Always better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and confirm that you're a fool"...

The people willing to sell ammo out of their personal stash to help with the supply crunch are doing a favor to those that need ammo and are willing to pay current market price for it. They are taking a risk that they won't be able to replace that ammo for a reasonable price anytime soon. For some its a calculated risk worth taking, for others, they aren't risking it. It's a matter of personal choice so who are you to force your opinion upon others?

Most people selling ammo during times like these aren't hurting for ammo (otherwise they wouldn't be selling). Me personally, I'm still considering selling some ammo to help fund other purchases. I have an abundance of factory ammo that I no longer shoot because I reload. As a matter of fact, at current market rates I have nearly $10,000 worth of factory ammo set back. I'm not worried about having ammo to shoot when the SHTF, I have plenty of other ammo. But that $10k will fund some other preps quite nicely, IE, getting my mortgage that much closer to being paid off, or buying a nice chunk of land to live on etc...

I disagree. The OP is keeping everybody updated on the ammo market. I don't think his post was meant to brag, it was meant to point out how crazy some ammo prices are right now. To be honest, $1200 for 1k rounds of 223 ammo is the highest I've heard of and it comes as a welcome "market update" in my mind.

I think a lot of the "complainers" about shops raising their prices are the same people that are complaining about people selling their personal stash at inflated prices and vice-versa. I personally, am not complaining about anybody that is selling at the high prices. Would I like to buy at prices from 3 months ago? Yes, but it's a unique market and those of us with more brains than money just have to endure it. Nothing will return the market to normal except: #1 change in political climate, #2 the people that need/want these items run out of money, or #3 the people that need/want these items fill their needs.

The supply isn't going to change much except for a few people selling out of their personal stash. The demand is what is driving this.

So are you gonna hawk your stuff on INGO classifieds or take to other sites so it doesn't look like you are taking advantage of fellow Hoosiers? Are you gonna jump back on here to brag about your profit like the OP did? Just askin'.

Last edited:

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    The man sold his ammo and is happy.
    The other man bought it and is happy.
    We are reading about it, so that must on some level make us happy.

There is one less person out there with disposable income driving up the price of that ammo, and people want to get mad about it?

I for one, wish them well, and thank (and rep) the OP for displaying (with dismay) current market conditions.

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan

:yesway: Same thing I've noticed to. They Squal when they go to buy it at inflated prices and Cheer if they sell it at inflated prices.
    Double standard for sure. Better off to shut up, chill out, and ride the wave till the storm passes :banana:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    So are you gonna hawk your stuff on INGO classifieds or take to other sites so it doesn't look like you are taking advantage of fellow Hoosiers? Are you gonna jump back on here to brag about your profit like the OP did? Just askin'.
    Burl, I shouldn't even glorify this with a response but I will just for the sake of playing along with your games.

First of all, I, nor anybody else selling stuff right now, is "taking advantage of" anybody. The people that don't understand that just don't understand economics. Those people had years to prepare, the fact that they spent all their money on lavish vacation or other junk rather than stock up and prepare is no fault of mine. It is only their fault. The fact that they are now scrambling to buy the things they should have bought before is a testament to this and is the cause of the market bubble we're in right now. While there are certainly a FEW exceptions to this, the large majority of people paying these prices are learning the lesson the hard way. If you see it as "taking advantage of them" then thats the way you see it. I see it as taking advantage of a high market period to reward myself for being prepared. The only people that seem to be complaining about the prices are the people that need the ammo. I don't have pity for them.

To answer your question, no I won't be selling in the INGO classifieds for 2 main reasons. #1 INGO members as a whole are not willing to pay what the market will bear at this point in time. I commend them, they are wise spenders. #2 INGO is a limited market, if I sell my stuff it is going to be 100% motivated by profit. I'm not ashamed to admit that. I layed out lots of cash years ago to stock up on this stuff and if I sell any of it I'm going to reap the benefits. If I'm not reaping benefits I'm just going to keep it. I'm not here as a charity to help sheeple that had their heads buried in the sand for years. I'm here to look out for what is best for me, and my family first and foremost, and others after that fact. What will be most beneficial to me and my family is to sell for as high a price as possible to pay off my mortgage and other debts and/or cash reserve emergency fund. That means I will take my wares to gunbroker, the place that seems to be best on prices right now.

Now, why would one be greedy like this? It all goes back to taking care of me and mine first and foremost. The writing is on the wall that I'll be taking a large cut in hours (in addition to the cut in hours I've already taken) and that I'll be taking a pay-cut later this year. Yes, it's a long time overdue as most people dealt with this in the last few years, but I blessed to not have to deal with it until now. I am going to make 100% sure that we are in the best financial position we can be in going into this and if that means selling off some ammo that I will probably never shoot while prices are high, then thats what it means. If you don't like it, thats tough.

BTW, the OP isn't bragging about it. If you can't figure it out then too bad for you. There have been many links posted here in the last few weeks pointing to ammo that sold for crazy prices. The OP has done nothing more than point out that the latest lot of ammo that sold for a crazy price just happened to be his. I didn't see anything in his ad that screams "bragging" to me. It screams, "Holy cow, look what somebody paid for ammo on gunbroker!".

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

So I have a question here:

A few weeks ago I released some of my stash of .223 and 5.56 brass when folks were complaining of not being able to find any. What the heck, I have a lifetime supply of it and can easily get as much more as I want. I've never sold any before because frankly it used to be so cheap as to not be worth my time and I'd always kinda sat on it in case I was ever desperate for money.

I limited people to 400 (200 fit in a small flat rate box) cases at a time because I was watching people flip it to make a profit and I sure didn't want to be part of that.

I sold it for about 30% more than the pre-craze prices which just barely brought it up to the "worth my time" point. Not such a crazy price to put it out of reach for anyone starting out, but a reasonable price for the new reloader who might be looking for a small quantity to get started, much like all new reloaders overpay for components because they haven't learned to buy in bulk quantities yet.

I got one guy who in a PM out of the blue told me how I was scalping it and he wasn't going to be buying any at that ridiculous price. I'd seen he'd had a WTB ad for that brass. The a couple weeks later I saw he was now selling brass at a price higher than I'd been asking, so maybe he was just mad I wouldn't sell him something so he could make money :dunno:

I did end up selling 4-5k brass to folks who seemed happy to get it.

So, the question here is: were my actions taking advantage of "my fellow Hoosiers" who I don't know in this time of shortage or should I have simply kept sitting on my supply and not let any out except to close friends who I will GIVE it to because they are friends?

I have a crap-ton of primers, powder, and bullets that I bought pre-panic at decent prices, a little at a time as I could afford them, and the fact that I have them now means that I don't need to buy any right at the moment when both the prices are high AND the supply is low, thus freeing up supply for people who do need them: should I continue to sit on them, or would it be unethical of me to sell some to people who are actually going to use them at current market prices?

Keep in mind, I don't need to sell anything right now as I don't NEED money, but I sure as hell am not going to allow a flipper to use my stores as profit generator, and if selling any of them at current market prices means that some of my "fellow Hoosiers" are going to view me as a scalper then I'll happily keep sitting on those supplies until I either really do need the money, or I've shot them all up, which at this point could take the rest of my life, any children I might have lives, and maybe even grandchildren...

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    All you guys can spout off about theories of economics and how smart you are and how dumb I am all you want. But in reality it still boils down to greed. Greed and fear of not getting items by the people buying and greed on the part of those selling at inflated prices. This so called crisis is made and fueled by those two groups. I have a Bachelors Degree from IU and I don't think I'm dumb, not the smartest person around but certainly not dumb. I also don't get on here and call people names for expressing their opinions. I didn't flame the OP for his actions but I stated that I thought it was part of the problem. I may not be that versed on economics but I can see things for what they are. And as far as telling others to keep their mouths shut some of you should practice what you preach. :twocents:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    All you guys can spout off about theories of economics and how smart you are and how dumb I am all you want. But in reality it still boils down to greed. Greed and fear of not getting items by the people buying and greed on the part of those selling at inflated prices. This so called crisis is made and fueled by those two groups. I have a Bachelors Degree from IU and I don't think I'm dumb, not the smartest person around but certainly not dumb. I also don't get on here and call people names for expressing their opinions. I didn't flame the OP for his actions but I stated that I thought it was part of the problem. I may not be that versed on economics but I can see things for what they are. And as far as telling others to keep their mouths shut some of you should practice what you preach. :twocents:
    A basic understanding of economics: You still are lacking it. So I will help you out with a short lesson on how economics works.

See below:
    Nothing will return the market to normal except: #1 change in political climate, #2 the people that need/want these items run out of money, or #3 the people that need/want these items fill their needs.

This is not my opinion, this is from many economics classes in high-school and college. It is a basic understanding of economics.

If people want more of something than production can produce, the price will rise. This is because demand is high and production is fixed. OTOH, if people demand less with fixed production prices fall (what we all hope will happen).

As prices rise, people demand less of a particular thing. At some point the "amount demanded" will equalize with the "amount supplied". The price at which this happen is the equilibrium point where we find the "fair market price".

Now in simple economic theories it is assumed that supply is fixed, and that prices will rise to the point that the "demand" equals the production limitations (supply). This will often yield a very high price. This is because most consumables are consumed and therefore cannot be sold bank into the supply chain. However, ammo is somewhat of a cross between a "durable good" and a "consumable" in that it will store for a long time and some people store a lot of it. Durable goods can be sold back into the supply chain.

In economic scenarios involving durable goods what we see is that as prices rise, some people are willing to sell their goods back into the supply stream. What this does is tips the supply higher as demand also rises and it results in a lower equilibrium price. As demand falls, bringing the price down, the number of sellers willing to sell their good back into the supply stream decreases, causing the prices to fall a bit more slowly, but they price-point they are falling from wasn't as high in the first place.

So for everybody that is crying for people to stop selling their personal goods back into the supply stream because it's "causing all of this" read this carefully. I have 2 diffrent economic scenarios.

#1 If nobody is willing to sell their goods back into the supply stream the equilibrium price will rise much more sharply to a much higher price and will fall much faster as demand wanes or supply catches up with demand (that takes years of capital investment in ammo manufacturing).

#2 If, OTOH, people are willing to sell their goods back into the supply stream the equilibrium price will rise more slowly, peaking at a lower equilibrium price, and then falling a bit more slowly.

The latter is how most economic scenarios work for goods like guns and ammo. The former is how it works for things like gas that are consumed very rapidly and most people don't "store" extras. Now, that model only applies to things that are at fixed production levels and therefore it won't apply directly to gas, it is only an example. Because ammo is mostly a "fixed production level" good, we are sticking with this model.

Now, a bit of theory on my part. Because the demand we experienced was driven by a change in political climate and some tragic events, a panic ensued and demand rose sharply. Therefore the rise in demand is not going to follow the model of #2 perfectly in the sense of "slower" rise in demand. This is because the demand rose so sharply that it really can't even be predicted. However, the peak equilibrium price, and the wane in demand will follow it very closely to scenario #2.

So while you may think you're "right" in that the people selling their goods back into the market are "driving this" the only thing they are really driving is keeping the prices somewhat lower by adding their good back into the supply chain, keeping the prices lower than if they weren't selling them back into the chain.

ETA, call it greed all you want. I call it a wise decision on the part of somebody that was wise enough years ago to stock up on these things. People stock up on gold expecting it to go up in price so they can sell. Why is somebody all of the sudden greedy if they sell ammo for a profit? How about this, do you own a home? How about when it comes time for you to sell, you sell it to me at the price you paid or the fair market value, whichever is lower. Because selling it for more than the lower option would be greedy... right? The asinine, thinking by some people just atonishes me...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom