• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I did not own a centerfire semi auto rifle until today. My personal gold standard was a Springfield M1A Scout Squad, but the price, and setting it up the way I want, was cost prohibitive.

Went to Top Guns in Terre Haute, and they had a used Mini-14 for $685 out the door. Added a Holosun 403C, Vortex 3x magnifier, two 20 rd mags, and a case of Fiocchi 5.56 55gr rounds. So I bought it.

Any advice for a new Mini-14 owner?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    For all I hear about that, I would still take one if the right deal came along...still think I would lean towards the 7.62x39 though.
    I'd give $550 or so for a 5.56 model, if it was a newer one instead of the old school ones that were 4 moa at 100 yards. Might go $600 or so for a .300 BLK model, just because it would be neat. Sort of a modern .30 carbine with better ballistics.

But not as my only centerfire rifle. Especially in these times.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I'd give $550 or so for a 5.56 model, if it was a newer one instead of the old school ones that were 4 moa at 100 yards. Might go $600 or so for a .300 BLK model, just because it would be neat. Sort of a modern .30 carbine with better ballistics.

But not as my only centerfire rifle. Especially in these times.
    True...especially when you can slap a 5.56 together on a platform for even less than that and get better accuracy.

Still wouldn't mind a mini though....just for fun.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I was shooting with my dad, he had a mini14 and on the way to the range he said “there ain’t nothing a ar15 will do that my mini14 can’t!…we were shooting at a plastic bag filled with flour, he fired 4 or 5 shots and didn’t hit it once, I fired 5 times and hit it 5 times…the next time we went shooting he had a ar15 with a red dot on it!

As an older guy I remember when mini14’s were cheaper than ar’s…now it’s the other way around! And I’d love to have an “a team” folding stock for my ruger!

As for the op’s purchase that’s a great price I only hope it’s not a 182 (or is it 186?) prefix serial number, those had specific parts and were known for accuracy issues.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    @Haven just bought one. We were out at proteq and he decided to shoot the 12x12 steel out at 150 yards for his first attempt. He was using irons and had not zeroed it on a test target first. So to be fair, this is not on him.

I put the spotting scope on the target and watched as he let 'er rip. Shots were all around the target but not a single one on the steel.

I exclaimed "It really IS the A Team's rifle. You are hitting everything BUT the target! Just like on TV!!!!"

He didnt find it near as amusing as I did. :):

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Went to Top Guns in Terre Haute, and they had a used Mini-14 for $685 out the door. Added a Holosun 403C, Vortex 3x magnifier, two 20 rd mags, and a case of Fiocchi 5.56 55gr rounds. So I bought it.

I'd like to see a pic of how a red dot and a magnifier are mounted on a mini 14. and hopefully it doesn't look like this;

mini14b.jpg

Last edited:

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I'd like to see a pic of how a red dot and a magnifier are mounted on a mini 14. and hopefully it doesn't look like this;

View attachment 368877
    IMG_6520.jpeg
    Looks fine to me.

Congrats on the rifle, hope you have some fun with it! Take it out and burn some powder. See if you enjoy it or not. The mini seems to be kind of a love / hate thing with people.

The magazines can be a weak point. Use good ruger mags…. The off brand mags can cause some woes.

IMHO a mini should be left in its traditional stock. People try to make it something it’s not. Just enjoy the rifle for what it is.

If you have a modern 580 prefix rifle, it will have the accuracy improvements ruger put forth in the mid 2000s. Ruger claims the improved rifles to be a 2 minute shooter.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I've been shooting M1, M14 mini 14 style Rifles darn near my whole life. Never have been able to warm up to that Stoner design.
    Have a mini 14 in the stable that, while, MAYBE not as accurate as some ARs, it is still plenty accurate!

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    My rifle has a 584 prefix. I got the Mini-14 cuz I just cain't stand the AR platform. Not a big fan of the caliber, either, tho it is less expensive than .308.

I will post a photo after I get everything put on it. I made sure that the dot and magnifier would fit on the rail before I left the store. Would have liked a walnut stock, but the price was very nice, so the black plastic is fine. For now. If I can't live with it, I can get a wood stock for it later.

On a side note, I spent a lot of time comparing the M1A Scout Squad to the Mini-14 Ranch. Both guns are 1.5-2" moa guns out of the box, according to manufacturers and a whole lot of reviewers. There are exceptions both ways, some being better others being worse. I ain't planning on entering competitions with mine, so 2" groups at 100yds is good for me. YMMV.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    A stock standard AR will be more accurate than a Mini 14 but you will have Minute of Man groups at 100 so shoot it and enjoy .Mini 14’s we’re never designed to be match rifles.

Not sure how old hours is the new ones are suppose to have better barrels.
    I had one I bought in 1987 and I had a lot of fun at the range with it even smokes an antelope when I was stationed in Montana.

Enjoy it!

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Don't go online to read about the rifle. Most people hate it.
    Just have fun with it, understanding accuracy limitations.
    I have a mini 30. Took a long time to get an optic mount that worked. Struggled with rings a long time. By the time I had it pretty much figured out, they started making ar15s in 762x39. Haven't shot the rifle in several years.
    The ar15, in my mind, is the better platform. Easier to strip/clean, better optic mount, better magazines, more accessories, (usually) cheaper initial investment, ...
    With all that said, hope you enjoy the rifle.

Ghostface

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2017
    North Central In
    I had one in the early 90’s, I was a fun rifle to shoot but it shot patterns rather than groups. As said before they were cheaper than ARs , I want an A-Team but I’m not willing to spend what they want for them. I put together a BRN 180 in its place and I am happy that I did. It’s almost as accurate as an AR but with a folder.

OP enjoy your new rifle just keep your expectations in check and you’ll be happy.

Top Bottom