• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Sweet mother today was a long and rough one! Thank you to all that shot with us and then hung out until the bitter end!

Found out what was wrong with my M&P9....shot through a squib round...barrel bulged to the point of locking the entire gun up. Might be the best built gun out there since that happened and you couldn't tell it by looking at it. Going to see what Smith might do for me...wish me luck but here lately my luck hasn't been that good.

Pretty sure the cosmos is punishing me for shooting 9mm so I'm probably going to just stick with The Lord's Caliber, 45, like I should have all along!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Sweet mother today was a long and rough one! Thank you to all that shot with us and then hung out until the bitter end!

Found out what was wrong with my M&P9....shot through a squib round...barrel bulged to the point of locking the entire gun up. Might be the best built gun out there since that happened and you couldn't tell it by looking at it. Going to see what Smith might do for me...wish me luck but here lately my luck hasn't been that good.

Pretty sure the cosmos is punishing me for shooting 9mm so I'm probably going to just stick with The Lord's Caliber, 45, like I should have all along!

:eek: Wow- that is really impressive. The 9mm is an intense round as far as pressures go. And see, there you was talking down on the M&P when in fact it's excellence saved your hand and probably Steve's face from slaughter.

+1 for S&W:rockwoot:

Suddenly my pathetic classifier run:wallbash: doesn't seem so bad.

:laugh:

redbaron

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Elberfeld
    ...wish me luck but here lately my luck hasn't been that good.

Are you sure about not having any luck??? Read below again!! It didn't exploded!! :yesway:

....shot through a squib round...barrel bulged to the point of locking the entire gun up. Might be the best built gun out there since that happened and you couldn't tell it by looking at it.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    When you see all the pictures of kBooms! out there and you see the damage they cause, I can say that God and Smith were looking out for me today! It might just need a new barrel but I will still contact Smith to have them look at it. I have a new found respect for the M&P now, even more than what I did before today, which says a lot! I moved my 2nd M&P up from storage to take the wounded 9's place until she can be made whole again in the Father Land :D

On a bright note, I checked my last Classifier that I'd shot and I was over 6seconds faster today than then. So, making the switch out from Glock to Smith, despite my earlier hastiness, seems like the right move!

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Wow! That is very impressive. Perhaps next time ten guys behind you going STOP! WHOA! HOLD ON! Will make you check it before you fire again :):

Actually what surprises me most is that it cycled and fired after a squib. I thought most semi autos would have a FTE/FTF after a squib.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    BTW how did you get it apart? BFH?

I kept thinking about it and by the time I got home I had a really good idea of what it was. I took a small screwdriver and put it down the barrel letting it follow the contour...and sure enough, there is a big bulge.

I hate to say it but about the time I registered that people were calling it something I was already tapping, racking and banging through. I need to just stop and check and then call for a reshoot if necessary. No telling what this will end up costing me. At least it didn't cost me anything more than some cash and some time.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    until she can be made whole again in the Father Land

Germany? Sending it to SIG for repairs?

On a side note, had a lot of fun today, outside of the outing going into deep overtime.
    I assume a few others would agree, but then what else would we be doing, at home mowing the lawn or something equally awful? :rolleyes:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Germany? Sending it to SIG for repairs?

On a side note, had a lot of fun today, outside of the outing going into deep overtime.
    I assume a few others would agree, but then what else would we be doing, at home mowing the lawn or something equally awful? :rolleyes:

:laugh:

As I was tellin some of the guys, IDPA gets me out of many other commitments since it is well known I compete on Saturdays!

:+1:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Actually what surprises me most is that it cycled and fired after a squib. I thought most semi autos would have a FTE/FTF after a squib.

The bullet made it past the chamber. As far as the brass was concerned, it was like any other spent round.

It would have been nice for it to have stuck in the chamber and not allow room for another round to chamber. I saw that happen to Matt last year with a 45.

No telling what this will end up costing me. At least it didn't cost me anything more than some cash and some time.

Match grade M&P non-threaded barrels (Storm Lake) run $125.:D

Yesterday was sort of freaky with all the malfunctions and break downs; I saw Trojans go down, CZs FTE, Glocks go into full auto function (which would have been really cool in another setting:laugh:) etc. I think the only gun I saw just absolutely run like a champ was Ben's Taurus:D.

I had mag seating issues, but that was just me. 17 rounds need more of push to get in there:):

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The bullet made it past the chamber. As far as the brass was concerned, it was like any other spent round.

It would have been nice for it to have stuck in the chamber and not allow room for another round to chamber. I saw that happen to Matt last year with a 45.

Match grade M&P non-threaded barrels (Storm Lake) run $125.:D

Yesterday was sort of freaky with all the malfunctions and break downs; I saw Trojans go down, CZs FTE, Glocks go into full auto function (which would have been really cool in another setting:laugh:) etc. I think the only gun I saw just absolutely run like a champ was Ben's Taurus:D.

I had mag seating issues, but that was just me. 17 rounds need more of push to get in there:):

I didn't see Mike Tap/rack/bang I just thought it cycled. And yeah there were a bunch of issues out there! Feels pretty good to have a ridiculously reliable gun after what I had been through with mag issues on my Kimber, my 1st 1911, and then my AR24...

I've put almost 2000 rounds through the Taurus, my mags don't even all work properly and I hardly ever clean it. I run steel cased Russian ammo through it and still can't get it to malf. (Not to brag or anything) :D

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Sweet mother today was a long and rough one!

Don't know if you saw the raccoon that got himself trapped in the dumpster by the rifle range. He was looking a bit ragged but we set some 2 x 4's inside and angled them across so hopefully he is out and doing raccoon stuff today.

Reason I mention it is that I think that overall his day was a whole lot better than mine was.
    Steve has had to buy new software to accommodate a 4th digit for seconds, sort of like a y2k thing.

Appreciate the info on the gun! Squibs scare the snot out of me!!! I had one make it about 1/2 way through the barrel earlier this year but I was just doing slow bullseye practice so there was no instinct working to get off a second round. I don't recommend remanufactured ammo from 'Cheaper than Dirt" by the way. To TF's point, primer only squibs seem to be the safer kind that won't allow the next round to chamber (don't ask me how I know this) partial load or partial burn squibs seem to be the awe shtts.

My broken slide stop on the rubber gun isn't very telling to look at, just kinda makes you think of metal fatigue and a flawed casting.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    That sucks about your 1911 Jeff. The good thing is, true cast metal parts are on MidwayUSA and Gunparts.com.

If they need fitted I could do that with a file at the next match. I installed the ambi-safety on my Kimber.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I seen something very odd with the 2 XDM 5.25s we had in our squad. They dropped the magazines while shooting. Just fell out, more than once 2 different guns and 2 different shooters. I guess they have a mag release button on each side.

MY classifier was bad too on stage 1 I had 3 rounds that had bad primers so TRB 3 times. but on the last string I ended up with not enough rounds to finish the string. I had 1 more on stage 2 but a TRB fixed that as I had enough rounds. That kind of bummed me out but crap happens. Was going to do a re-shoot but after shooting the classifier for 5 hours. I did not want to hold the squad behind us up anymore than necessary. I had a box of primers spill on the bench when reloading and being a cheap guy I picked them up and reused them. I had heard this is a no no but..... I got home and while cooking steaks on the grill I blasted through the 150 more rounds (after tightening my front sight up) in that batch and had 3 more. They are gone, at least I hope they are.

I did decide that I am going to re spring my G19 as someone mentioned it could be light strikes. It has been my EDC for 4 years and has many thousands of rounds through it. So it cannot hurt.

Not a good day as the score will probably say, but still fun and as usual I learned a lesson or 2. That is what it is about.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I had a box of primers spill on the bench when reloading and being a cheap guy I picked them up and reused them. I had heard this is a no no but.....

You're not the only one that has used dumped primers:):

Tim had a lite strike with his glock as well.

Weird deal on the XDs, but yesterday was the day for weird stuff.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    That sucks about your 1911 Jeff. The good thing is, true cast metal parts are on MidwayUSA and Gunparts.com.

If they need fitted I could do that with a file at the next match. I installed the ambi-safety on my Kimber.

Thanks!
    I think I'm going to start with a bit of warranty related fussing at STI though. Might be smart to give them the privilege to replace what broke for free but go ahead & get the Midway part if it looks like there is reason to suspect further failures.

Can't see them giving me any guff on warranty, I mean it ain't like I blew the gun up or something https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Thanks!
    I think I'm going to start with a bit of warranty related fussing at STI though. Might be smart to give them the privilege to replace what broke for free but go ahead & get the Midway part if it looks like there is reason to suspect further failures.

Can't see them giving me any guff on warranty, I mean it ain't like I blew the gun up or something https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I would talk to STI first as well. I'm pretty sure they'll take care of it. Ditching customers for broken slide stops is not something they want to get a rep for doing.

Top Bottom