• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    If it's the theater that I'm thinking of, the sign is located in the ticket window and right beside the door on your left. It's a sign with 5 or 6 rules and that is one of them. As for the whole conversation, I really hope that you take this to the Sheriff. He should be reprimanded and make sure to let them know that you complied with an illegal request and next time you will not.

Joey P

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    I'm brand new, so I'll just say one simple thing. Thank God you simply just didn't concealed carry. :)

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I have been carrying a firearm for 25 + years daily. Never one time have I been asked for my LTCH.....never. I did get pulled over a few years ago and told the ISP trooper I was armed but he never checked my license. Why is it that some of these posters are always getting questioned? Some three and four times. I have an idea.. how about using just a little bit of common sense. But then again common sense ain't too common.

It is more than apparent to me that some people had just rather cause a scene. I just don't get it. Guess I must be a dumb a--

I often see people cite common sense as a reason to see things "their way". Honest question - what is common sense? Isn't it arbitrary from one person to another. For one, jumping out of an airplane with a parachute is absolutely crazy. To another, it is just another day at work. You see how this "common sense" can be developed on an individual basis, based entirely on that person's personal experiences, religion, background, and up-bringing.

Just because your perspective of what constitutes "common sense" may be different than another person's, doesn't mean that you are a dumb a--. Nor does it mean that the other person is a dumb a-- either. It just means that you have both developed your own opinions based on your life experiences and goals.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I've been awat from municipal LE for a while so I could be outdated. If I remember there are only 2 exceptions where an LEO dosn't have officers discretion 1. DUI and 2. Domestic Battery. (both misdemeaners)

Everything else is Officers discretion meaning they don't have too!

As per state law maybe. But most agency's have policy's on violations and how they are handled.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I promise you there are just as many if not more ignorant gun owners than ignorant LEO. Lets try to make negative interactions with LEO or any one that thinks they know but doesn't, learns the truth. It's far better than logging into INGO and bashing LEO.
    Good point. Example: I ran into a guy I used to work with while I was coming out of a bank the other day. He and his wife were getting ready to walk in. I commented about carrying and he said he had just spent a couple minutes disarming so he could go in because, "You can't carry a gun into a bank." I told him you could and I had OCed in that one before. He was stunned. He's been a carrier for a while and has had some firearms and use of force classes. His ignorance surprised me.

Example two: My brother and sis-in-law went to a wedding in a southwest Chicago suburb last year. While at the reception he asked me if I was carrying. I said it was unloaded and locked in the vehicle. He said they had one of their pistols loaded and in the glove box, just the way it was all the way to the reception. I told him he would be in deep doo doo if he was discovered. He said he didn't know you couldn't have a loaded gun in Illinois. "I've got my Indiana permit!"

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Maybe not. But your lack of willingness to impart information that would clear up false beliefs is just going to keep getting you (and every other OCer) the same batch of crap from the same LEO for the same reasons.
    Over. And over. And over.
    If you don't like something...CHANGE IT.
    I don't think it's any of our jobs to educate any LEO. For one, the training and continuing ed should keep them up on stuff like this. If we don't know the latest changes in the law we get busted. For us, ignorance is no excuse. It shouldn't be for them either.

Secondly, arguing with a LEO will only embarrass him/her and could lead to getting busted for a whole host of charges. You can politely point out the law but the LEO has to win in the end to save face.

This should be reported to the sheriff so that if it keeps happening there is a paper trail. Somewhere down the road when some hot head civilian can't control his mouth when he is being illegally hassled and does something stupid and gets tazzed, sprayed, cuffed, whatever and then sues there will be some sort of evidence of a pattern of lack of training or even willful neglect.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I know what the last acronym in your post means, as do lots of other folks. You know that such language will earn you a ban on here. One more slip up like that and you will not be welcome on INGO anymore. I understand this is an emotional issue for you, but come on.....
    Ugh. I had to think about that one for a minute. I didn't think anybody used those kind of references any more!

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I have been carrying a firearm for 25 + years daily. Never one time have I been asked for my LTCH.....never. I did get pulled over a few years ago and told the ISP trooper I was armed but he never checked my license. Why is it that some of these posters are always getting questioned? Some three and four times. I have an idea.. how about using just a little bit of common sense. But then again common sense ain't too common.

It is more than apparent to me that some people had just rather cause a scene. I just don't get it. Guess I must be a dumb a--
    Everybody seems to have a different opinion of what constitutes "common sense." I would rather CC but I will start OCing more lately just because I think it so important when guns and wholesale slaughter is in the news that people who look and act normal be seen going about their every day business while armed. There is nothing unusual about someone being concerned about being the victim of a crime in a convience store, restaurant or even bank, especially in Evansville lately! Seeing a "normal" guy come into a quicky mart for a coke while carrying should be a common occurance.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    LEO: Sir im going to need you to cover that thing up.
    ME: hello sir, is there some reason as to why my rights are being infringed upon. have i commited or been suspected of a crime?
    I don't think he was being an arsehat by asking you to conceal it.
    Sounds like he just simply wasn't aware of the permits cc/ oc law.
    Just my personal opinion, a movie theatre is the last place I'd oc, especially with a line of people behind you.

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    Are you certain he wasn't a Marion Co. guy? That theater is in Marion Co and everytime I've been it has been a MCSD guy. If not, give the Johnson Co. sheriff a call and complain.

Most departments regulate part time work so I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard for them to figure out who it was.

Actually since that theater is on the southside of County Line Road, it is NOT Marion County, it IS Johnson County. Technically speaking, it would be Greenwood Police Departments jurisdiction.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Might save for, or later move this post to a separate thread, since it has to do with a wider context.

I WANT YOU TO COVER THAT THING UP NOW.
    just do what i say
    There you have it - with the rationalizations stripped away. Whether it is one who uses the "authority" of his badge to do it, or someone else who tries to use one or more of those with badges to enforce his/her personal edict, they (a substantial portion of the population) don't want you (anyone they, due to social conditioning don't personally approve of, such as, but not limited to, only those with certain uniforms and/or badges) to carry a gun - any gun, where it can be seen or happens to cross their line of sight.

Even when it was only a pistol instead of a long gun. Even when it was in a holster and not deployed in a threatening manner. Even when the owner/bearer's overall appearance was within the oft-mentioned "societal norm".

... my personal preference is irrelevant to all others.

As I see it, the man has the right to carry as he chooses within the law, which he was doing prior to the LEO introducing himself. Considering that there is no 'right' to never have your sensibilities offended, the LEO has the choice of making a polite request (not order) which may or may not be accepted, or explaining to anyone complaining (if applicable) that he cannot act against someone doing something which is perfectly legal, including bullying such a person into appeasing the expressed concerns of others or simply concerns that the LEO assumes that the others have. Unfortunately encroachments generally don't stop as long as we continue to go along with them.
    Well said.

Last edited:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Actually since that theater is on the southside of County Line Road, it is NOT Marion County, it IS Johnson County. Technically speaking, it would be Greenwood Police Departments jurisdiction.

Actually the theatre is about 1/4 mile NORTH of County Line Rd. Therefore it is Marion County. I just took his word that it was a JCS since he said he read the name and badge. The theater you're thinking of is behind the mall and is a Regal theatre. This theatre that he's speaking of is most likely the Cinemark over by the pawn shop across from Babies 'R' Us.

Last edited:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There you have it - with the rationalizations stripped away. Whether it is one who uses the "authority" of his badge to do it, or someone else who tries to use one or more of those with badges to enforce his/her personal edict, they (a substantial portion of the population) don't want you (anyone they, due to social conditioning don't personally approve of, such as, but not limited to, only those with certain uniforms and/or badges) to carry a gun - any gun, where it can be seen or happens to cross their line of sight.
    One of the most infuriating things you can say to a police officer is a simple, resolute, and unambiguous, "No."

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I don't think he was being an arsehat by asking you to conceal it.
    Sounds like he just simply wasn't aware of the permits cc/ oc law.
    Just my personal opinion, a movie theatre is the last place I'd oc, especially with a line of people behind you.

why would it be the last place to OC? showing the people that a respectable looking individual can, in a lawful manner ie holstered weapon not being touched or paraded around, be carried in a public setting without it being a problem.
    half the people i encounter never even notice it. when it gets pointed out "O i just thought it was a phone or something"

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Actually the theatre is about 1/4 mile NORTH of County Line Rd. Therefore it is Marion County. I just took his word that it was a JCS since he said he read the name and badge. The theater you're thinking of is behind the mall and is a Regal theatre. This theatre that he's speaking of is most likely the Cinemark over by the pawn shop across from Babies 'R' Us.

the theather is the one by the pizza place and old krispey cream place

furthermore on the subject. i did notice a dodge charge in the lot with a sherrif badge on the side. far as i know most marion county sherrifs drive the full size 'paddy wagon'. thats according to a family member in the MC Sherrifs Dept. also being as it was a private venue, JCS could have been hired as a physical presence and to keep unrulely teens under check in the lot and lobby.

Top Bottom