• ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    the theather is the one by the pizza place and old krispey cream place

furthermore on the subject. i did notice a dodge charge in the lot with a sherrif badge on the side. far as i know most marion county sherrifs drive the full size 'paddy wagon'. thats according to a family member in the MC Sherrifs Dept. also being as it was a private venue, JCS could have been hired as a physical presence and to keep unrulely teens under check in the lot and lobby.

There are lot more Marion Co. Sheriff Dodge Chargers around these days. I'm not sure what their role is, but I've noticed a lot more lately.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    There are lot more Marion Co. Sheriff Dodge Chargers around these days. I'm not sure what their role is, but I've noticed a lot more lately.

agreed. according to a said family member, the chargers are for higher ranking deputies that wouldnt be working a post such as this.. my understanding is that MCS are still in charge of inmate transport and care in the jails. some one correct me and my source if we are not correct. JCS are still the in the law enforceing business right??

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I only have one problem with this particular OCer.

Fobus?

Really?

Comon man.... Class it up a little.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm surprised he didn't tell you to leave the Theater since they have a no guns policy my Sister is actually the genera manager there and she has even told off duty police to leave their guns in their cars... lol I was like at least your consistent... I of coarse carry anytime I am there...

Aren't off duty LEOs required to carry?
    If they are, would this then constitute discrimination?
    . I know, not a protected class. But, required to carry, then asked to put in the car?

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I only have one problem with this particular OCer.

Fobus?

Really?

Comon man.... Class it up a little.

whats wrong with a forbus holster? i have never had a problem with it, and it rides very confortably.

if i could afford another BH serpa like what i carry my M9 in, i would. but being a college student and closing on a house in a few weeks dosent allow the purchase of this i want. only the needs right now

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Dude, that's the perfect opportunity opportunity for a teachable moment. When someone makes a mistake, and you have clear evidence to the contrary, use it in a respectful manner and see what happens next. It will most likely diffuse the situation and you'll be able to educate at the same time.

Also, you were right in covering up, despite not wanting to. People who don't own &/or carry guns simply just don't understand, and it makes some people nervous. They don't know you, or your intentions (unless there's a badge on your belt next the the weapon) and it creates anxiety for some of the general public. :dunno:

In my humble opinion, CC is the way to go. Period. Then those conversations and "run-ins" with LEOs don't even have to take place. I too live in Johnson Co and I carry frequently; you, the LEOs & the public at large will never know, cause you can't see my gun and I hope there is never a day that it will be seen, if you catch my drift. :cool:

That looks like you should be on the OC/CC debate.
    Real quick though, I'll point out....\
    . CCing, do you honestly think over time you've never been "made" by someone???????

I've been carrying over 20 years, and could not even begin to tell you how many CCers I've picked out.
    Or how many people near me have picked out. Such as a lady commenting on someone printing, and telling me about it, not knowing I was CCing that day.
    If you carry, you will get found out.
    If they hassle a OCer.
    They will hassle a CCer.
    Just because they wanted the OP to cover in this situation, doesn't mean that's always what will happen.
    You will still get the "you're making everyone nervous" comment.
    And the "can you please leave it in the car. It would be better for everyone."
    Maybe, you could search for INGO threads where worse has happened to a CCer.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So did you get out your license and prove to him that it doesn't say "concealed"? That would've been the PERFECT opportunity.

Sorry esrice.
    But, just cause the LTCH doesn't say concealed, doesn't really mean anything. It doesn't state the IC, or lack of IC on it. Maybe, they should modify it to say Open Carry OR Concealed Carry somewhere on it.

But you can ask the LEO to go to the Indiana State Police website, go to the FAQS, and look up the answer to question #14.
    It states that either is legal in Indiana, but that they "recommend" Concealed.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Sorry esrice.
    But, just cause the LTCH doesn't say concealed, doesn't really mean anything. It doesn't state the IC, or lack of IC on it. Maybe, they should modify it to say Open Carry OR Concealed Carry somewhere on it.

But you can ask the LEO to go to the Indiana State Police website, go to the FAQS, and look up the answer to question #14.
    Agree 100%.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    agreed. according to a said family member, the chargers are for higher ranking deputies that wouldnt be working a post such as this.. my understanding is that MCS are still in charge of inmate transport and care in the jails. some one correct me and my source if we are not correct. JCS are still the in the law enforceing business right??

My uncle is a reserve deputy with MCSD and his take home is a Crown Vic. When that's in the shop he typically drives a Stratus. All he does is serve warrants. JCSD still patrols and does traffic, albeit mostly the rural areas from what I've seen. Greenwood and other town PDs usually run the city and town stuff with JCSD as backup.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Sorry esrice.

Actually, it means everything. Only saying that it's a LTCH means exactly that. There's no way to prove that the IC says concealed because it doesn't exist. You can't prove a negative.

If it says OC or CC the statement that nowhere on it says concealed would be moot.

I've had that happen, a LEO (special deputy, actually) said that I should have it concealed. I was standing in my own yard (he's a colleague) and he tried telling me that I had a concealed carry license. He's a gun guy, carries regularly, and can be very bull headed. I whipped my Larry out and handed it to him, offering him a chance to show me where it says concealed. Of course he couldn't.

The license shouldn't say anything about how it should be carried because the IC doesn't. We are allowed to carry however we see fit, OC, CC, taped to our forehead, doesn't matter.

I'm not going to tell a LEO to go to the ISP website, I'm going to quote the IC that says that he can't demand that I conceal, I'm going to quote the case law that says that after I've shown him my Larry the discussion is over, and I'm going to tell him to have a nice day and go back to my business, ignoring him. If he attempts then to throw the cuffs on me and arrest me, then I'll make sure that he meets my lawyer in the civil suit.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Actually, it means everything. Only saying that it's a LTCH means exactly that. There's no way to prove that the IC says concealed because it doesn't exist. You can't prove a negative.

If it says OC or CC the statement that nowhere on it says concealed would be moot.

I've had that happen, a LEO (special deputy, actually) said that I should have it concealed. I was standing in my own yard (he's a colleague) and he tried telling me that I had a concealed carry license. He's a gun guy, carries regularly, and can be very bull headed. I whipped my Larry out and handed it to him, offering him a chance to show me where it says concealed. Of course he couldn't.

The license shouldn't say anything about how it should be carried because the IC doesn't. We are allowed to carry however we see fit, OC, CC, taped to our forehead, doesn't matter.

I'm not going to tell a LEO to go to the ISP website, I'm going to quote the IC that says that he can't demand that I conceal, I'm going to quote the case law that says that after I've shown him my Larry the discussion is over, and I'm going to tell him to have a nice day and go back to my business, ignoring him. If he attempts then to throw the cuffs on me and arrest me, then I'll make sure that he meets my lawyer in the civil suit.

It doesn't mean anything, cause IC is not printed there to prove or disprove.
    You could say, go read IC, pay attention to 35-47.
    Easier to point to ISP site.
    Your License To Carry Pistol would say the same thing. Whether the state was OC or CC or either (like us). It is a license. The license doesn't state any qualifications on it.
    Does your Automobile License ID happen to state any of the rules on it. No.
    They expect you to find them out yourself, and go to a place more suitable that a little square.
    By knowing.
    1) ISP website
    2) FAQ
    3) Answer #14.

You have just shown them authority enough to prove your point easier than.
    Read IC.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN

Always taking the words out of my mouth, brother! :rockwoot:

Much like I do when I'm approached by a non-educated citizen.... I educate.

It'd have been no different for me in this situation as long as the other party is respective/courteous about it.
    For as long as I've carried openly, it's been my duty to be kinder, gentler, nicer and more respectful when out and about...
    And if that said person is disrespectful to me (and my rights), even if it's a deputy... then I'll inform where needed and carry on.

It's always unfortunate that many OC threads here are because of a problem or negative experience...
    But Gods' honest truth... Of my HUNDREDS of interactions, only ONE was a negative one, and it was from an IMPD officer.
    (I can't complain much, he admitted to expressing his opinion, even though he knew OC was legal).

Good post. Thanks for sharing. There are a handful of Johnson County Deputies on board here on INGO...
    Maybe one or two will chime in. ;)

Jeff

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have read the WHOLE post, and for the life of me, I just can't understand, why you won't bring this to the attention of the Co. Sherriff ????? If YOU refuse to educate, then why not let the Sherriff, EARN his (or) her pay ..... Isn't the definition of insanity, doing the SAME thing over and over again, and expecting a DIFFERENT result ????? :twocents:

Top Bottom