• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    His beef was with Chris Kyle. It was impossible to sue Chris Kyle after Chris Kyle's death.

Chris Kyle's property became the property of his beneficiaries after his death, specifically his wife and his child. Jesse chose to sue to prevent them from the receiving it and added Taya Kyle as a party instead of pursuing the publisher and others who had a direct role in the alleged defamation.

Ironically, he has damaged his name and reputation much more through how he has conducted this lawsuit then by whatever happened in the original incident. If he is really worried about his reputation hurting his earnings, he really should sue his own dumb ass.

I do consider his actions dishonorable.

this is a nice thought. But is factually incorrect.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    this is a nice thought. But is factually incorrect.

Not so fast. Bypassing for the moment that Fargo is a lawyer, I will refer to the legal advice I was given regarding the loss of my dad (d. 11/2013, estate settled this month, hence current) that his worldly property became the property of the named beneficiaries the minute he was declared dead, estate and probate notwithstanding.

Bigdaddybell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2013
    Crown Point
    I'm not a Jesse Ventura fan by any means but if I'm not mistaken he is actually not suing Chris Kyle's widow but the publishing company.
    She is not the one actually being sued. But he is still a tool.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    the link you posted doesn't say that he is suing her.
    It is a small, but important point that some seem to be missing.

"In 2014, a federal jury in Minnesota awarded Ventura $1.8 million in his defamation lawsuit against Chris Kyle's estate, deciding that Kyle had libeled the former Minnesota governor in his best-selling book. That decision is currently under appeal".

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    this part...

No one is saying that Ventura didn't sue Kyle's estate. They are saying Ventura didn't sue the publishing company. Kyle's estate essentially belongs to the widow. So, ya know, it's kinda like if a = b and b = c, then a = c.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    From your link. Notice it doesn't say he won his lawsuit against Mrs Kyle.
    In 2014, a federal jury in Minnesota awarded Ventura $1.8 million in his defamation lawsuit against Chris Kyle's estate,

He sued Kyle, when Kyle was killed the suit continued against his estate. His wife is defending his estate as the executor.

No one is saying that Ventura didn't sue Kyle's estate. They are saying Ventura didn't sue the publishing company. Kyle's estate essentially belongs to the widow. So, ya know, it's kinda like if a = b and b = c, then a = c.

They aren't? See below for a few examples provided by Expat.

A-Apple=B-Fruit, B-Fruit=C-Orange. A=C?

Because people like slandering Ventura? The links from those links lead to this link.
    Ex-Gov. Ventura wants to continue lawsuit against murdered author - StarTribune.com

With this in the article.
    Lawyers for Ventura have asked a federal court to continue his lawsuit against Chris Kyle — who was killed in February by a young veteran he was mentoring — by substituting Kyle’s wife, Taya, as the defendant.
    Which isn't accurate even according to the same article. Per the article here is what his lawyers said.
    “it would be unjust to permit the estate to continue to profit from Kyle’s wrongful conduct and to leave Governor Ventura without redress for ongoing damage to his reputation.”
    His lawsuit against Kyle is continuing against his estate. As executor of his estate his wife is defending it.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne

Well said, thank you.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    They are saying Ventura didn't sue the publishing company. Kyle's estate essentially belongs to the widow. So, ya know, it's kinda like if a = b and b = c, then a = c.

I forgot to address this in my earlier reply. Why should he have sued the publishing company? Does he claim that they slandered him? And no his estate belongs to who he named in his will if he had one, or to the rules regarding intestate death in his state. Minus what is owed to creditors and any court issued judgements. His widow is executor of his estate.

Well said, thank you.

Did you happen to notice my Apple=Fruit Fruit=Orange post?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I forgot to address this in my earlier reply. Why should he have sued the publishing company? Does he claim that they slandered him? And no his estate belongs to who he named in his will if he had one, or to the rules regarding intestate death in his state. Minus what is owed to creditors and any court issued judgements. His widow is executor of his estate.

I forgot to address this in my earlier reply. I'm not asserting Ventura should have sued the publishing company. I merely stated that it is factually inaccurate to say that Ventura sued the publishing company rather than Kyle's Widow's future property.

I'm also not saying Ventura should not have sued Kyle for writing unsubstantiated **** about him that has the affect questioning Ventura's manhood. I am saying that Ventura continuing the lawsuit against Kyle's widow's future property doesn't tend to restore Ventura's manhood or honor. It makes him a douchebag and a bit richer if he wins.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I think you're not accurately depicting reality.

A = B. B becomes C. At which point A = C.

Kyle's estate is, for practical purposes, notwithstanding various legal hoops, Kyle's widow's property.

Yes I am depicting it accurately. You are depicting it emotionally. Was Ventura wrong to sue Kyle? If not why is it wrong to continue the lawsuit against the estate? It's pretty much standard in cases like this for the suit to attach to the estate. If someone causes you harm, and then dies does that harm magically go away?

Kyle's estate is for all purposes the property of any creditors, persons owed due to legal judgements, a few others and lastly who he named in his will/rules of intestate whichever applies. His widow is the executor of his estate.

And all Ventura originally asked for was a retraction and apology, he was refused so then sued. He was later found to be harmed by a jury due to slander.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg

Did you happen to notice my Apple=Fruit Fruit=Orange post?

As interesting as it sounds, your equation is not really relevant. You are right, n apple cannot become an orange. But comparing your equation to this is in and of itself, the equation is apples to oranges. If the defendant was first the apple, the orange can be substituted. In other words, and apple was the defendant (the fruit). Then an orange can become the defendant, but still not be an apple. The apple never becomes the orange. That's exactly the point. He is suing the widow and not Chris now.

If his ego wasn't so huge, I'm sure this could be settled out of court, for a fair and just amount. The problem is that the price he puts on his reputation is MUCH higher than its real value, in my opinion. Besides, who is he to talk of lies? He was a WWF (or wtf it is called now). That whole portion of his career was a big lie. Then, he was a politician, which is beneath being a WWF star. His reputation wasn't harmed at all, to me. It was bad enough already, it couldn't be made worse.

I don't believe for a minute that a simple apology or retraction would have satisfied him. That's part of his spin.

Top Bottom