• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    Lousiana National Guard out in the swamps for a weekend and they do something to some backwoods people, can't remember what exactly or much else but they get hunted.
    They borrowed some boats without asking to cross a body of water and then the platoon dumbass unloads on some locals observing the borrowing in progress with blanks from his M60 and that’s how it starts.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    • Energy expended to secure the network: The computational power and energy invested in maintaining the Bitcoin network and verifying transactions.
    • Mathematics and cryptography: The underlying algorithms and encryption techniques that enable secure, decentralized, and censorship-resistant transactions.
    • Scarcity: The limited supply of Bitcoin, capped at 21 million, which helps maintain its value.
    • Demand: The market demand for Bitcoin, driven by its perceived value as a store of value, medium of exchange, and unit of account.
    • Blockchain technology: The decentralized, distributed ledger that records all transactions, ensuring transparency and immutability
    Ok, you've convinced me. Where can I buy a roll.or two of bitcoins?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Ok, you've convinced me. Where can I buy a roll.or two of bitcoins?
    Wow, and I accomplished something I didn't even set out to do! I am amazing!

Just google Bitcoin ATMs or ask your broker.

Reactions: oze

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    . "inflation"
    Yes, there has been inflation. And the last few years have been higher than average (although nothing compared to the 1970s and early 1980s). The market far outperforms inflation over time. I actually wrote a stock-market monte-carlo simulator using the S&P500 (and its predecessors) from 1871 through 2024. It's not even close. There is a greater than 8% spread between stock market yield (averaging 10.4%) and inflation (averaging 2.2%). Even the bond market (based on 10-year Treasury yields) doubles inflation over time.

BTW you are incorrect about "zero growth since after adjusting for inflation".

Attachments

• sp.JPG
      sp.JPG
      32.2 KB · Views: 4
    Reactions: Mij

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I am not a financial guy, nor am I a numbers guy so perhaps it is my ignorance which prohibits me from understanding how the performance of the stock market is supposed to compensate for inflation. Almost every time I see someone mentioning inflation someone comes along to tout how strongly the stock exchange is doing. I get that the two are obviously connected but for me personally, how the stock market is doing is meaningless as far as my cost of living is concerned.

All I see from the cheap seats is the devaluation of the dollar.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks, to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Yes, there has been inflation. And the last few years have been higher than average (although nothing compared to the 1970s and early 1980s). The market far outperforms inflation over time. I actually wrote a stock-market monte-carlo simulator using the S&P500 (and its predecessors) from 1871 through 2024. It's not even close. There is a greater than 8% spread between stock market yield (averaging 10.4%) and inflation (averaging 2.2%). Even the bond market (based on 10-year Treasury yields) doubles inflation over time.

I like your outlook, but it seems your numbers are suited to generational dollars. How many folks are going to live to see the advance in the ~150 years of growth? Am I misunderstanding your words? That’s always a possibility.

As an aside, I agree with you 100%. But most folks want their dollars to work faster for them. At the very least keep up with the Fed. Res. thievery.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I am not a financial guy, nor am I a numbers guy so perhaps it is my ignorance which prohibits me from understanding how the performance of the stock market is supposed to compensate for inflation. Almost every time I see someone mentioning inflation someone comes along to tout how strongly the stock exchange is doing. I get that the two are obviously connected but for me personally, how the stock market is doing is meaningless as far as my cost of living is concerned.

All I see from the cheap seats is the devaluation of the dollar.

If depends on your individual circumstances. If you don't have any money in the stock market, then how well it's doing doesn't help you. But if you have a significant investment, then the increases in dividends and capital gains far outpace your increases in cost of living. (And this includes 401(k) and IRA retirement funds if you have a large amount invested.)

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I like your outlook, but it seems your numbers are suited to generational dollars. How many folks are going to live to see the advance in the ~150 years of growth? Am I misunderstanding your words? That’s always a possibility.

As an aside, I agree with you 100%. But most folks want their dollars to work faster for them. At the very least keep up with the Fed. Res. thievery.

The 150 years is just to give the broadest scope of data to the simulator. What the simulator does is allows you to compare your present financial situation against 150 years of past performance to see how likely you will do. So for example you plug in your specific financial information and ask it to predict the next 30 years for you. It's not 100%. The future is not always the same as the past. But to quote Mark Twain: "History doesn’t repeat itself but it often rhymes".

The basic version of the Retirement Investing Calculator Simulator I wrote is free and available for Android or iPhone.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    If depends on your individual circumstances. If you don't have any money in the stock market, then how well it's doing doesn't help you. But if you have a significant investment, then the increases in dividends and capital gains far outpace your increases in cost of living. (And this includes 401(k) and IRA retirement funds if you have a large amount invested.)
    Again I may be mistaken, but aren’t capital gains taxed? Did your equation take that amount into consideration?

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012

That's all ok if ALL your money (including what you have to spend to maintain or hopefully increase your standard of living) were invested. The problem with inflation is, I believe, that inflation outpaces wage growth and since people are required to spend an ever increasing percentage of their income to maintain their standard of living, less and less is left to invest in a market that might outpace inflation. The end result is declining standards of living, particularly for the middle class.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    The 150 years is just to give the broadest scope of data to the simulator. What the simulator does is allows you to compare your present financial situation against 150 years of past performance to see how likely you will do. So for example you plug in your specific financial information and ask it to predict the next 30 years for you. It's not 100%. The future is not always the same as the past. But to quote Mark Twain: "History doesn’t repeat itself but it often rhymes".

The basic version of the Retirement Investing Calculator Simulator I wrote is free and available for Android or iPhone.
    I’ve found that most people attempting to make a financial point will cherry pick numbers. Such as from point A to point B, then use the results to justify their point of view.

In no way am I saying that is what you have done.

If you want to use a broad scope use 2000 years and gold.

Top Bottom