• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Springfield TRP is the one I want. Shot JoshWard's and loved the thing.

A good friend bought a TRP not long ago and it never ran worth a damn; he ended up dumping it for a loss.

Conversely, I was present when another good friend's glock kaboomed, cracking the frame and pulping the shooter's hands.

Glock vs. 1911 aside, I never had any use for James Yeager after I saw the youtube vids he had posted of his students running SAS type drills shooting past each other/the instructor. While I recognize that there are a very limited number of people with the skills/needs to justify such a drill, I've always thought it grossly irresponsible and a disservice to all gunowners to act like they are a standard part of training.

His IMO whinefest after one of his students shot himself during a Yeager drill that had a planned transition to handgun from a hot, non-malf'd long gun just confirmed for me what I already suspected.

He is the kind of guy who doesn't believe in paying the dues, who thinks you can jump to the end, and who is generally not respected because of it. That is why he is constantly trying to reassert his relevance with BS publicity crap like a video on why the 1911 sucks.

Joe

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    1. I prefer a 1911 any day for beauty of engineering, style and mechanical comfort in my hand.
    2. I own a glock because I can knock pins down faster with it despite buying and selling off nearly every other gun to avoid being a glock owner.
    3. I have seen my fair share of 1911's not go bang in any number of ways at shoots. I suspect 90% are due to playing games with underpowered ammo and light springs, but the other 10% are more to do with the grip safety.
    4. I have never seen a glock failure.
    5. If I had a choice of gun to fondle and love - 1911 no question.
    6. If I had a choice of round to adore and love - .45 ACP no question.
    7. I, however, have a glock 17 by the bedside with a crap ton of 9mm in it to save my life, or at least to fight my way to the AK in order to really have a weapon at hand.

Make of that what you will. However, I will add this one point. If I were presented with two tables of pistols - one full of glocks, one full of 1911's and none known to me, and then was told to randomly pick one to go thunderdome with.....

I would pick from the glock table.

And that is just the sad truth.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    One point that he makes worth noting that I don't think many people can argue with is that most people truly don't know how well or how poorly their pistols shoot. Buying a gun, taking it to the range on a dry, sunny day and shooting 3 boxes of ammo indicates pretty much nothing. I can get a Lorcin to do that. Putting thousands of rounds through it while it's hot, muddy, etc is an indicator of how well it holds up. Some of you here have done this with your 1911 and you, by all means, have earned your right to dispute the fact that 1911's aren't just belt candy.

I've taken only a couple of classes where people had 1911's. Most had problems with theirs at some point during the day. In fact, the only 1911 I've never seen malfunction is the one I've seen Pat Rogers shoot over and over. I can't say the same for Glock (or Sig or any revolver).

I've got a G19 Gen 2 that was manufactured in Jan 1990. I bought it USED in 1994. It has 100k rounds through it by me alone. (I don't know what the guy before me did.) I've carried it on several continents and have never replaced ANYTHING on it or in it. The tritium has long since gone and the front sight housing is all that is left (the inside plastic tritium vial and plastic insert was knocked out long ago). It still functions as well as it ever has.

I've known Yeager for a while now and I've often found it strange that people try to disprove his message simply because of the way he delivers it.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    1. I prefer a 1911 any day for beauty of engineering, style and mechanical comfort in my hand.
    2. I own a glock because I can knock pins down faster with it despite buying and selling off nearly every other gun to avoid being a glock owner.
    3. I have seen my fair share of 1911's not go bang in any number of ways at shoots. I suspect 90% are due to playing games with underpowered ammo and light springs, but the other 10% are more to do with the grip safety.
    4. I have never seen a glock failure.
    5. If I had a choice of gun to fondle and love - 1911 no question.
    6. If I had a choice of round to adore and love - .45 ACP no question.
    7. I, however, have a glock 17 by the bedside with a crap ton of 9mm in it to save my life, or at least to fight my way to the AK in order to really have a weapon at hand.

Make of that what you will. However, I will add this one point. If I were presented with two tables of pistols - one full of glocks, one full of 1911's and none known to me, and then was told to randomly pick one to go thunderdome with.....

I would pick from the glock table.

And that is just the sad truth.

I agree with most of what you say, but unlike you I have seen way too many glock malf's, beginning with my dad's gen 1 17 and including a personally witnessed kaboom of a brand new .357 sig. I also have a LEO friend who had a glock 23 that not only won't run more than 4 rounds without an OOB malf but also refuses to retain the glock brand light he had on it. (It ends up about 4 yards down range every 6 or so rounds.) Then, I have a friend with a recalled gen4 which ran fine with the recalled recoil spring, but now has failures to feed with the supposed "fix".

Going into the thunderdome, I suppose I'll pick up a glock unless there is a wilson/baer/brown/nighthawk on the table. But then again, in the real world, I don't carry a gun unless it has already been put through its paces.

I've used a 1911 for EDC, and I've used a polymer pistol for EDC. Currently, we are on polymer. That said, I would have no hesitation about switching back to a 1911 that I'd run thorough its paces.

Best,

Joe

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    Wow! What a video. :popcorn:Mr. Yeager is point blank in your face giving his opinion. I liked his passion in conveying his message.

To each their own on their choice of a Glock, 1911 or any other brand. I just hope that whatever you choose, you practice often with it and works if you have to use it to defend yourself or others.:twocents:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Yes, I am. In general. I have heard that more times than I can remember. 1911 owners making excuses as to why their finicky pistols don't want to perform that day. I can't say, seriously when I have ever heard a Glock owner make an excuse.

And I am not talking about function firing 14 rounds. I am talking about wringing that beast out. Under demanding conditions, you know, like fighting. Thats why we carry guns, right? Or is it something else perhaps.

Really? I'm no high-speed low-drag kinda guy but I get around and I put quite a few rounds downrange with a pretty fair number of people, including quite a few MOS/LEO and a few high-speed low-dragers. I've seen way too many glock malf's, including a KB, to even pretend to buy your premise here.

Do box stock glocks malf less than box stock 1911's from all manufacturers? Sure, you'll get no argument from me. That said, there are quite a few 1911's I'd have no issue with going into a bad spot with.

Joe

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Who cares? He's obviously TRYING to get a rise out of people because he's an arrogant A-hole. It's simply a matter of opinion. Very FEW shooters in the civilian world are ever going to push a weapon to its limits enough to be concerned with this. On an occasional training course they will, but not in every day carry or even in a "real life" situation for the most part. As long as it's reliable enough to not jam within every few hundred rounds, you are probably going to be ok with it should it ever need deployed. Opinions are like "Yeagers" (A-holes), everyone has one and they all stink.

I've never had any problems with any 1911's I've been around. Actually, not a single malfunction of any kind now that I think about it. As far as combat, I preferred the M9 just because it's a comfortable gun for me and just as reliable as any other out there. There aren't very many guys on teams using Glocks that I've ever seen or anyone I know for that matter. On the other hand, my uncle feels that 1911's served him well as a retired MGySgt who spent 42 years on active duty with USMC infantry from WWII through the Cuban Missile crisis. He knows of a number of IJA's who can tell you it worked well, but you'd have to dig them up.;)

Use what you like so long as it works more often than not. That's all you need. :twocents:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Can we hit 20 pages :popcorn:

Only if we post animated gifs of BBQ 1911's with gold engraving complete with polished brass stovepipes as well as Kabooming Glocks held sideways by rapping youth.

That might get you there.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    A) his customer growth before he posted these vidoes means nothing.

B) TR's classes are relatively cheap. The two day fighting pistol class is $500. You can get more customers when you undercut somebody like Gunsite by 25-30%.

If you follow the interwebz at all you would know that he has been saying this for years. If his classes did not teach relevant, current, and fundamentally strong gun fighting skills he would not be growing his customer base.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    You know I hear this kinda stuff from a LOT of Glock die-hards but really don't you WANT your favorite brand pistol usable by lots of different size people? With out the adjustable back strap Glocks are HUGELY thick in the grip area and UNUSABLE by much of the smaller handed population. The critical distance from back of grip to trigger face is way too large on a stock pre 4th gen Glock for anyone with less than average length fingers. I would think this rather large problem would warrant a redesign.

I guess the 11 yr old girls don't have problems with Glock 19's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCuvmbeX8t0&feature=relmfu

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    In my experience instructing, 11 year olds girls are some of the best students you can ever have. Attentive, smart, energetic and ready for sound foundational work.

Leave the whiney, opinionated, excuse filled drama to middle aged men...

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    I have a glock :D
    I have a 1911 :D
    I am going to get a smaller frame glock and a bigger 1911
    just because :yesway: :draw: :D
    and a taurus! :rockwoot: my wish list keeps me going,what can I say....

Last edited:
    Top Bottom