• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Gotta reserve any "judgements" until we finally get broadband next Tuesday and I can actually watch the video. Trying to do that on a dial-up connection takes, like, an hour to see 3 minutes of video.

All I can say from personal experience is that both my Springfield 1911A1's have run 100% with the factory, Mec-Gar and Chip Mc Cormick mags. And that I personally ran nearly 2300 rds of assorted ball and JHP 230 gr. .45 ACP ammo through my stainless Champion in one 5-day Defensive Pistol course at the Chapman Academy without a single malf which wasn't deliberately set up for a "clearance/emergency action" drill.

To each his own. Maybe someday I'll make the switch to some sort of "drastic plastic", but for now I'm just fine with my antique 1911.

Seems you're another lucky 1911 owner. I admit I haven't run mine too hard but my springer has been 100% with all types of ammo. My glock 26 has actually jammed more...but only once. ;) I figure 200 to 300 rounds per range trip with 0 malfunctions is just fine for carrying.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Still laughing. Love the arrogance of the guy. Crap, he only has 15,000 students and 15,000,000 rounds as a sample to test his theory. Not much a a sample set! Better wait until his has at least 16,000,000 before we give him any credence.

My G26 never failed to go bang. Never. I could put any kind of ammo through it. Stuff that would foul up my Taurus, Ruger, Springfield (1911 and XD), and Beretta would run just fine through the G26.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Paddling man covered it very well, other than forgetting to mention that Jersey Shore called and they want their shirt back.

Honestly, i agree with his point that there are a lot of bad 1911s out there.

This vid is good marketing for him. The Glock herd will dance and proclaim him the messiah as they salivate over his new Jenny Craig body. The 1911 crowd, which probably is a much smaller revenue stream for him anyway, will either laugh it off or get mad, join his forum to *****, and generate controversy and publicity. Maybe some will even sign up to come show him how well THEIR 1911 runs. Either way, it's good for him. And maybe he'll make enough coin to buy a different shirt.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    He lost credibility within the first two minutes when he asserted that the number of 1911s that work perfect are smaller than the number of Glocks that don't. I must be doing something wrong with my 1911s, as they all seem to work just fine.
    VERY good point, now that you mention it. I don't know what kind of 1911s he's used to seeing but I've had a number of them, some shot a little and some a lot but I've only had an issue with ONE of them. Exaggerating to make a point at the start of your argument has the effect of closing ears and minds from the get go.
    NRA life member.. GSSF member
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock Armorer

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    He lost credibility within the first two minutes when he asserted that the number of 1911s that work perfect are smaller than the number of Glocks that don't.

lost credibility how? 15,000 students is a pretty good sampling. He asserted nothing, he reported his findings. Sounds like his data bothers you.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    VERY good point, now that you mention it. I don't know what kind of 1911s he's used to seeing but I've had a number of them, some shot a little and some a lot but I've only had an issue with ONE of them. Exaggerating to make a point at the start of your argument has the effect of closing ears and minds from the get go.

you would think with 15,000 students, he's probably seen them all...

Again, reporting his findings is not "exaggerating to make a point".

I wanted to be a 1911 fanboy, they are the most accurate guns out there. But I had to try four or five different brands of mags to get my first one to run right. One shouldn't really have to do that.

saying "you've been lucky" or "he's a douchebag" or "i hate his shirt" doesn't really dispute his findings over the years.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Well, there are three things that this video makes clear:
    1. He has a poor understanding of the mechanical engineering principle of "tolerance stack".
    2. He has a worse understanding of modern manufacturing design and assembly methodologies versus early to mid 20th century methodologies.
    3. He has a shoulder twitch he ought to have looked at.

I'm not qualified to comment on the rest of his statements.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana

saying "you've been lucky" or "he's a douchebag" or "i hate his shirt" doesn't really dispute his findings over the years.

Just think about all those 100's of thousands of lucky 1911 users over the past 100 years who have successfully used them, including in combat. They wern't all cooks, truck drivers, tankers and officers ;).

I've never really understood people who make themselves feel good about their choice by putting down others :dunno:.

"Can't we all just get along" :draw:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I wanted to be a 1911 fanboy, they are the most accurate guns out there. But I had to try four or five different brands of mags to get my first one to run right. One shouldn't really have to do that.

Nope, for me, at least, that wasn't my intent. How does one dispute another's findings, short of having the data and pointing out factual errors or interpretation issues? My findings are that the 1911s I've had have been perfectly reliable. I recommend that everyone do their own testing and come up with their own findings. As to the question about mags and 'picky' 1911s, the other side of this manufacturing tolerances issue is that machines or devices made to very tight tolerances are less likely to work with a part that isn't. If they're made loosely and sloppily enough, it's no big deal to put a square peg in a round hole.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Well, there are three things that this video makes clear:
    1. He has a poor understanding of the mechanical engineering principle of "tolerance stack".
    2. He has a worse understanding of modern manufacturing design and assembly methodologies versus early to mid 20th century methodologies.
    3. He has a shoulder twitch he ought to have looked at.

I'm not qualified to comment on the rest of his statements.

And I thought my response was good:lol2: With my limited experience I'm also unqualified to comment, but I'm in good company. :)

Last edited:

PINski1015

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Cyberspace
    lost credibility how? 15,000 students is a pretty good sampling. He asserted nothing, he reported his findings. Sounds like his data bothers you.

He has no place to put the millions of other 1911 owners down for there purchases. No right. I don't care how many students he's taught or what he's seen. Where's his statistical data? Where's your paper proof, Mr. I've taught 15,000 people? What findings? He probably can't shoot one well enough so he feels the need to bash everyone who owns one and asserts he's taught 15,00 people as an example of what he's seen of how bad they are.

If glocks are so amazing why did my dad's jam 5 times in the first 200 rounds? I thought they did'nt need break ins? 5 jams sure seems like alot from a company that asserts it's product as perfection.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven

Again, reporting his findings is not "exaggerating to make a point".

:laugh:
    Does your wife know about your new mancrush?

I normally enjoy reading your posts, but you really seem like you have a chip on your shoulder about this whole topic. But I will admit, all of this is very entertaining. :)

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    And I would also add that despite his years of experience, all of his claims are completely anecdotal. I want to see real statistical analysyes....people will remember what they want to remember. People are terrible witnesses. Ask any cop or da. :)

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Re The shoulder twitch: I'm not joking when I say this, but I think his shirt is uncomfortable and he keeps rolling his shoulder in an effort to adjust his shirt. I catch myself doing the same thing when I wear clothes that are tight through the shoulders.

Re the 1911 hate: I love my 1911's and think they are awesome fantastic machines. If I had to take one handgun and shoot 1,000 rabid dogs in my front yard, I would leave my 1911 in the cabinet and grab my xd (glocks just do not "feel right" to me).

I can see what he means about 1911 owners in his classes. Some guys get all wrecked psychologically when they really love a gun and are proud of it and it just does not work right.

I have seen similar situations in rifle classes. It usually involves some type of gear that's bolted onto their rifle and is screwing them up. The more obvious it becomes that they need strip the offending junk off their rifle, the more hurt the shooter's feelings become about the whole situation. I really do think that some people get their identity all tangled up in their gear (gun or do-dad). I think the guy is right about that.

So, yeah, I don't think the guy is wrong about anything other than his approach and wardrobe. He is condescending and dressed like justin beiber and that makes him being right about the things he is right about all weird and hard to stomach.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    He has no place to put the millions of other 1911 owners down for there purchases.

would you please point me to the TIME in that video where he did that?

He's debating comments 1911 owners made in a previous video.

He probably can't shoot one well enough so he feels the need to bash everyone who owns one and asserts he's taught 15,00 people as an example of what he's seen of how bad they are.

That's really your debate? Straw man? Come on...

If glocks are so amazing why did my dad's jam 5 times in the first 200 rounds? I thought they did'nt need break ins? 5 jams sure seems like alot from a company that asserts it's product as perfection

Don't know, could be limp wristing, bad shooting form, one of the newer ones with a bad springs he can get replaced, high primers for reloads or you just made that up to have a story to tell. How would I know?

I never said Glocks are perfect and I don't buy in to ad campaigns. Did you also vote for "Hope and Change"?

As stated several times in this thread, I've owned 1911's and will eventually get another one.

If you want James to answer your question, go comment on the video. If you are afraid of his response, don't give me grief about it.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    No doubt about it. Glocks are great tools. I bought my wife and son Glocks because I know they will work if/when called upon. However, I have never had a Glock take my breath away the way some of my 1911's do.
    I'm sure Glad my wife didn't pick her husband based on performance alone. She thought I was Cool. After several years a little tweaking and thousands of rounds (including more than a couple FTF's), I have become more reliable and so have my 1911's.

Top Bottom