• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    My guess is that you're typing away as fast as your fingers will type; however, I just found it funny that you're working for "net literacy" when your posts are...well...nevermind. :D

I had the same reaction until I reread "_net_ literacy". Just a fancy way of saying, "teaching people to use the internet" when you can't compose good prose.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Here is the IUPUI statement on guns. Im guessing that at a minimum,a student would be expelled if found to have one by the campus police.

The video they link to is typical abc news,but it does make a good point. Being able to shoot at a target on a range does not translate well into being able to shoot stop a threat(kill,in my book) in a real life scenario. In other words,get some training that tests your ability to be effective under fast,stressful situations. And,do it on a regular basis.

The underlying message from IUPUI is "dont bother with a gun. You probably wont kill the bad guy,you will probably kill some fellow students,and you will probably end up dead yourself"

No Guns on Campus

Published:

April 22, 2009
    View Related Releases:

Share This:

This week is the Empty Holster Protest that is being promoted by the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC). The SCCC is an organization that believes student should be permitted to carry concealed weapons on campus.
    Last week, 20/20 on ABC did a special segment on “If I Only Had a Gun” and the IUPUI Dean of Students Office, the IUPUI Police, and IUPUI Emergency Preparedness want to share two of the clips from this broadcast with you. The videos highlight why allowing anyone other than law enforcement personnel to have weapons on campus is a terrible decision. They are simulations done in a classroom at Muhlenberg College and they are very powerful.
    When you have about fifteen minutes in the next few days, please click on the links below.
    'If I Only Had a Gun': Click Here for 20/20 Special - ABC News
    Shooting Under Fire - ABC News
    While IUPUI is supportive of the students’ rights to express themselves, the University does not support or endorse the views of the SCCC or the students that are participating in the Empty Holster Protest.
    A safe and secure environment is a fundamental prerequisite for fulfilling the University mission of teaching, research, and public service. The University is committed to maintaining a workplace that is free of violence. This obligation includes eliminating recognized hazards from campus communities that contribute to violence or serious harm. The decision to prohibit weapons (except in the hands of trained law enforcement personnel) on campus makes the IUPUI community a safer place.
    I watched this on TV, and it was a set up, the armed student, never won, but the catch is this, the "shooter" knew who was armed, and as soon as the student moved, he was shot .....

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    why was'nt the lady pulled out of the building and beaten in the street for calling the cops on a law abiding citizen?

According to OP's first description, he provided her with information, but telling her he was legal to carry, doesn't mean he _was_ legal to carry; especially since she thought she knew he wasn't supposed to be carrying on campus and he, evidently, did not. I'm not saying she wasnt being a busybody, but there is a whole education culture out there that considers all firearms to be EEEEVILLL, and its members like to cause trouble for anyone so misguided as to think firearms are a tool, like books, blackboards, or union contracts...

cositc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Martinsville
    Writing is a skill any intelligent person with a desire to appear competent can learn. If you can learn to shoot, OC and CC, you can learn to speak and write proper English. Just like the officer you mentioned, you can be unprofessional or you can be wise. Your choice. People will treat you in accordance with the way you present yourself. :twocents:

I know I can always learn and that’s why I am still in school and plan on furthering my education the reason I had so many grammatical errors in my earlier post was do to the fact I was typing as fast as I could and I was on my phone.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I know I can always learn and that’s why I am still in school and plan on furthering my education the reason I had so many grammatical errors in my earlier post was do to the fact I was typing as fast as I could and I was on my phone.

Its ok buddy. There just playin with ya. I can't spell worth a crap on here but I do have a very good education. It the interwebs, your forgiven :D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    There was one officer that I did not like the entire time that he was there when ever he would address me he took a really aggressive tone

It is deliberate. He is trying to provoke you.

Officer Cowboy took the same tone with me in Broad Ripple. Look at the bright side, at least you did not get a spit shower like I did.:D

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute

Officer Cowboy took the same tone with me in Broad Ripple. Look at the bright side, at least you did not get a spit shower like I did.:D

My favorite response to this tactic:

"Wow! You really do the intimidation thing good. Real convincing. Are you in community theater?"

That usually gets a "red face" as the blood pressure rises.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    P.S. There was one officer that I did not like the entire time that he was there when ever he would address me he took a really aggressive tone, like he was using every bit of his self control from not throwing me on the ground and beating the crap out of me.

Can we get a description?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

They like it when you ask, "weren't you Andy Griffith's deputy?"

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Indiana Supreme Court just said that once an LTCH has been provided, there is no more reasonable suspicion. Once they had his license in hand, they should have left him be, instead he was detained for at least 15 minutes according to his post.

They broke the law, and violated his rights. And going after his NFP should simply result in a multi-million dollar lawsuit against them for their willful violation of his rights via the illegal detention.

He says 10-15 minutes, but how long would the LEO say? I'm not saying the OP is wrong and I’m not a LEO, but just because he produces a LTCH, doesn’t mean he just walks away without some checks being conducted. Shouldn’t the officer check to see if any crimes have been conducted in the immediate area? It’s not like the LEO’s saw him OCing and pulled up to harass him; they were called to the area in response to him carrying a gun on campus.

What if he was on his way to commit a crime on campus and wasn't a law-abiding LTCH holding citizen? What if his LTCH was revoked due to a recent incident, but he was still carrying? Are LEO's not supposed to check these things out? Or would you say that once it's shown, anyone should be able to simply walk away?

Indiana is not immune from similar incidents that occured at VT or NIU. I'm not going to give the OP a free pass and take everything he says as the gospel just because he is a member of this forum. The old Black lady may have been nosey, but did she have any indications that he could have possibly been a danger? I'm not sure, because I wasnt' there. If the OP wants to sue, he should do that. If he gets anything I hope he buys a car instead of another gun, so he can stop depending on his dad to pick him up.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    He says 10-15 minutes, but how long would the LEO say? The truth, as required by law. I'm not saying the OP is wrong and I’m not a LEO, but just because he produces a LTCH, doesn’t mean he just walks away without some checks being conducted.Actually, yes, it does. Shouldn’t the officer check to see if any crimes have been conducted in the immediate area? No It’s not like the LEO’s saw him OCing and pulled up to harass him; they were called to the area in response to him carrying a gun on campus. Which is not illegal in and of itself.They chose to continue the interrogation even after his license was verified.

What if he was on his way to commit a crime on campus and wasn't a law-abiding LTCH holding citizen? Unless there is a reasonable suspicion of a crime being committed, he cannot be detained.What if his LTCH was revoked due to a recent incident, but he was still carrying? Are LEO's not supposed to check these things out? They checked the LTCH, and he was good. Or would you say that once it's shown, anyone should be able to simply walk away? Once again, unless there is a reasonable suspicion, yes, he can walk away.

Indiana is not immune from similar incidents that occured at VT or NIU. Correct. But, fear of a crime that hasn't been committed is not grounds for detaining someone. I'm not going to give the OP a free pass and take everything he says as the gospel just because he is a member of this forum. The old Black lady may have been nosey, but did she have any indications that he could have possibly been a danger? I'm not sure, because I wasnt' there. If the OP wants to sue, he should do that. If he gets anything I hope he buys a car instead of another gun, so he can stop depending on his dad to pick him up. Dude, that's low

Maybe your post just hit me wrong today, I dunno :dunno:. Nothing personal, I just disagree with the premise that a law abiding citizen can be detained for not breaking any law.

Now, this is a timely discussion!
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...oncealed_deals_with_reasonable_suspicion.html

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Maybe your post just hit me wrong today, I dunno :dunno:. Nothing personal, I just disagree with the premise that a law abiding citizen can be detained for not breaking any law.

Now, this is a timely discussion!
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...oncealed_deals_with_reasonable_suspicion.html

That's no problem. I just see this different than you. At least you didn't give me negative rep! :laugh:

Some of us are trying to get these "rules" changed. It doesn't help for a member of the most relevant gun forums in the state to intentionally break the "rule" and snub his nose at those who are, in their view, trying to protect themselves and students. Just my :twocents:.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    He says 10-15 minutes, but how long would the LEO say? I'm not saying the OP is wrong and I’m not a LEO, but just because he produces a LTCH, doesn’t mean he just walks away without some checks being conducted. snip

In reference to the part I bolded, that is EXACTLY what it means. Carrying a gun is not legal justification for officers to detain you while they fish around trying to find some other crime. Plain and simple.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    That's no problem. I just see this different than you. At least you didn't give me negative rep! :laugh:

Some of us are trying to get these "rules" changed. It doesn't help for a member of the most relevant gun forums in the state to intentionally break the "rule" and snub his nose at those who are, in their view, trying to protect themselves and students. Just my :twocents:.

What doesn't help is for you to advocate the illegal detention of citizens breaking no law merely because they choose to exercise Constitutionally protected rights. It doesn't help that you apparently share their feelings that carrying a gun somehow casts us as being suspicious, that people have the right to treat us as criminals for no other reason than that we choose to be armed.

I haven't negged you either... but you deserve it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    How does the property of a state owned institution become private property anyway? It seems like it would remain public property in which case they can't keep me from legal carrying.

pillsbury1983

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Open carry on a college campus isn't the brightest idea. I still don't understand this fascination with open carrying that some folks have. Is it a power/attention thing? Great you carry a gun, the bad guys won't show there's until it's time to shoot, why do you feel the need to?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Open carry on a college campus isn't the brightest idea. I still don't understand this fascination with open carrying that some folks have. Is it a power/attention thing? Great you carry a gun, the bad guys won't show there's until it's time to shoot, why do you feel the need to?
    Ohnoyoudidnt.gif

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    How does the property of a state owned institution become private property anyway? It seems like it would remain public property in which case they can't keep me from legal carrying.

Public universities are really nothing more than the first public-private partnerships. IU's state funding only accounts for 1/4-1/3rd of their total budget per year. So 2/3rds-3/4ths of the land, buildings, etc. is private. If the state can ban guns on their 100% taxpayer funded properties, then no court is going to say a private entity that gets government money can't. Now the legislature could, and some in others states have: Don't allow guns on the property=cut or no taxpayer funding.

The thing is, Lucas Oil stadium is more public than any of the state funded universities, but even they could ban handguns if they wanted too (I don't know if they do or not, they may already have a rule in place).

Top Bottom