• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Indiana code only says it's illegal to have a gun at k-12 school not a private college, so it was legal just aginst IUPUI rules.

well since the police there now know your name and that you carry, i wonder if you will get kicked out of your program? i dont think OC after you got out was a wise move while you were still there in the area. cause now i see problems in your future. but i still give you props for staying cool.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Not illegal to have a firearm on IUPUI's campus, just against their policy.

:+1: Indiana law is silent on the issue of guns on college campuses.

Also, yeah, paragraphs would've been nice! Even having paragraphs in nonstandard places would've made it easier to read. But it's okay. We got through it eventually.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I was on the campus 10 feet from the side walk when i meet a friend of mine and we started to talk and then walk out to the sidewalk and thats when she stoped me as i was leaving. Also why do you want to know what summer program?:draw:

It's not illegal to have a handgun on campus, but it is against university rules to possess a gun while on campus. I asked what program because if it is a program that does maintenance, for instance, I would suggest CCing and NOT revealing your gun until your dad picks you up. If it's with students, I would suggest not carrying at all, until your dad picks you up.

I make these suggestions, because I have been communicating with every official with any semblance of authority to have the "rules" about carrying, changed. You being disciplined will not help with this effort. Besides, what's the problem with asking what program you work with?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    . . . Then some old Black lady walked up next to me and asked, "Is that a real gun?" To which I replied yes it is a real gun. Then she asked me "Are you with the campus police?" At which I said No, I'm not with the campus police but I am a holder of a LTCH. Then she asked, "What are you doing here?" Then I replied that I was waiting to get picked up by my father. She then turns around and leaves to go back in side the building and I go back to talking to my friend as we go to leave the campus, then the gets picked and I’m left there all alone waiting to get picked, now fast forward 10-15 min. and that’s when I see a cop car round the corner going the wrong way on a one way street.

Okay . . . this lady has a conversation with you, then she can casually go into a building after you clearly posed no threat to whatsoever and she STILL called the cops?

Oy.

I'll bet she was able to make herself hysterical by the time she was able to "report."

ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    Here is the IUPUI statement on guns. Im guessing that at a minimum,a student would be expelled if found to have one by the campus police.

The video they link to is typical abc news,but it does make a good point. Being able to shoot at a target on a range does not translate well into being able to shoot stop a threat(kill,in my book) in a real life scenario. In other words,get some training that tests your ability to be effective under fast,stressful situations. And,do it on a regular basis.

The underlying message from IUPUI is "dont bother with a gun. You probably wont kill the bad guy,you will probably kill some fellow students,and you will probably end up dead yourself"

No Guns on Campus

Published:

April 22, 2009
    View Related Releases:

Share This:

This week is the Empty Holster Protest that is being promoted by the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC). The SCCC is an organization that believes student should be permitted to carry concealed weapons on campus.
    Last week, 20/20 on ABC did a special segment on “If I Only Had a Gun” and the IUPUI Dean of Students Office, the IUPUI Police, and IUPUI Emergency Preparedness want to share two of the clips from this broadcast with you. The videos highlight why allowing anyone other than law enforcement personnel to have weapons on campus is a terrible decision. They are simulations done in a classroom at Muhlenberg College and they are very powerful.
    When you have about fifteen minutes in the next few days, please click on the links below.
    'If I Only Had a Gun': Click Here for 20/20 Special - ABC News
    Shooting Under Fire - ABC News
    While IUPUI is supportive of the students’ rights to express themselves, the University does not support or endorse the views of the SCCC or the students that are participating in the Empty Holster Protest.
    A safe and secure environment is a fundamental prerequisite for fulfilling the University mission of teaching, research, and public service. The University is committed to maintaining a workplace that is free of violence. This obligation includes eliminating recognized hazards from campus communities that contribute to violence or serious harm. The decision to prohibit weapons (except in the hands of trained law enforcement personnel) on campus makes the IUPUI community a safer place.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    So what if the campus cops know his name? Perhaps I need to re-read the initial post, but did they ask what he was doing there? Did they care? As far as they were concerned, he was a private citizen waiting on a ride in a public place with a legal handgun.

I'm sure I'll have business up on IUPUI campus, Purdue campus, IU campus or any other campus at some point after I get my license and am carrying. There's nothing anyone on any campus can do about it if I'm standing on a public sidewalk.

The campus cops shouldn't have cared what he was doing waiting. They found out he was legal and left him alone.

If he gets called in front of HR, he can tell them to go pound sand, being stopped by campus police and asked about being legal isn't their concern. Him carrying while in the building is, but that's not what he was stopped for.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Yeah, I know. That's why I don't want to see him get harassed because he is carrying out his right to possess a firearm.

yep. i think you and I are on the same wavelength. OC'ing when you know its against the policy and you are there for a program probly was'nt the best choice for this young man. i too, think that he may now be in for some sort of punishment, up to and including being banished from the property indefinatly maybe???

im one of the biggest PRO-OC'ers here, i do it everyday. but i also know when its in my best intrest to CC rather than being banned or ticketed, etc.

OP: I truely wish you all the best, and hope you will please keep us informed if anything new developes from this. sadly I think this thread is gonna turn into why NOT to OC on campus property because heres the outcome. I hope im wrong

cositc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Martinsville
    It's not illegal to have a handgun on campus, but it is against university rules to possess a gun while on campus. I asked what program because if it is a program that does maintenance, for instance, I would suggest CCing and NOT revealing your gun until your dad picks you up. If it's with students, I would suggest not carrying at all, until your dad picks you up.

I make these suggestions, because I have been communicating with every official with any semblance of authority to have the "rules" about carrying, changed. You being disciplined will not help with this effort. Besides, what's the problem with asking what program you work with?

I not a student and I was just volunteering for a summer program that is being heald there. I just hoping that they don't go off blameing the non-profit that I was working with and try to kick out of there. By the way I'm working with net literacy.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    So what if the campus cops know his name? Perhaps I need to re-read the initial post, but did they ask what he was doing there? Did they care? As far as they were concerned, he was a private citizen waiting on a ride in a public place with a legal handgun.

I'm sure I'll have business up on IUPUI campus, Purdue campus, IU campus or any other campus at some point after I get my license and am carrying. There's nothing anyone on any campus can do about it if I'm standing on a public sidewalk.

The campus cops shouldn't have cared what he was doing waiting. They found out he was legal and left him alone.

If he gets called in front of HR, he can tell them to go pound sand, being stopped by campus police and asked about being legal isn't their concern. Him carrying while in the building is, but that's not what he was stopped for.

I hope it doesn't come down to this, but if an employee steps on campus with a firearm, he has violated University policy. It matters not that he was in a building.

It would be much better, for him, if he were able to leave the gun in his car while at work. Sounds like he is without transportation right now and even having a gun in the car is STILL against policy, but at least no one would see it.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Here is the IUPUI statement on guns. Im guessing that at a minimum,a student would be expelled if found to have one by the campus police.

The video they link to is typical abc news,but it does make a good point. Being able to shoot at a target on a range does not translate well into being able to shoot stop a threat(kill,in my book) in a real life scenario.

Hmm. Don't the police train by shooting at paper targets on a range?

In other words,get some training that tests your ability to be effective under fast,stressful situations. And,do it on a regular basis.

The underlying message from IUPUI is "dont bother with a gun. You probably wont kill the bad guy,you will probably kill some fellow students,and you will probably end up dead yourself"

Odd, the gun is a machine that functions the same way whether it is aimed at a bad guy or at a student. I wonder why they think it would work differently depending on who it was pointed at?

No Guns on Campus

Published:

April 22, 2009
    View Related Releases:

Share This:

This week is the Empty Holster Protest that is being promoted by the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC). The SCCC is an organization that believes student should be permitted to carry concealed weapons on campus.
    Last week, 20/20 on ABC did a special segment on “If I Only Had a Gun” and the IUPUI Dean of Students Office, the IUPUI Police, and IUPUI Emergency Preparedness want to share two of the clips from this broadcast with you. The videos highlight why allowing anyone other than law enforcement personnel to have weapons on campus is a terrible decision.

Except that the State and Federal Constitutions say differently. This logic could be used to disarm Americans anywhere. "No citizen other than trained law enforcement should have weapons."

They are simulations done in a classroom at Muhlenberg College and they are very powerful.
    When you have about fifteen minutes in the next few days, please click on the links below.
    'If I Only Had a Gun': Click Here for 20/20 Special - ABC News
    Shooting Under Fire - ABC News
    While IUPUI is supportive of the students’ rights to express themselves, the University does not support or endorse the views of the SCCC or the students that are participating in the Empty Holster Protest.
    A safe and secure environment is a fundamental prerequisite for fulfilling the University mission of teaching, research, and public service. The University is committed to maintaining a workplace that is free of violence. This obligation includes eliminating recognized hazards from campus communities that contribute to violence or serious harm. The decision to prohibit weapons (except in the hands of trained law enforcement personnel) on campus makes the IUPUI community a safer place.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I not a student and I was just volunteering for a summer program that is being heald there. I just hoping that they don't go off blameing the non-profit that I was working with and try to kick out of there. By the way I'm working with net literacy.

My guess is that you're typing away as fast as your fingers will type; however, I just found it funny that you're working for "net literacy" when your posts are...well...nevermind. :D

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Stand outside the same time every day and when you see here again give her the stink eye.
    :):

stinkeye.jpg

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    If you're a registered IUPUI student attending classes, be prepared to be called in front of the dean of students. If you're an employee, be prepared to talk to HR. The policy stinks and does nothing except passify the sheeples, but action can and will be taken against you for violating IUPUI policy.

Do you know what would happen if a visiting alumni were to be called out for carrying? "I have a friend" who has been known to go and do some research on his own at the library of the IUPUI school he graduated from and I'm curious what the ramifications are for a "rule breaker" that isn't a student or employee, but rather just an alumni.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Do you know what would happen if a visiting alumni were to be called out for carrying? "I have a friend" who has been known to go and do some research on his own at the library of the IUPUI school he graduated from and I'm curious what the ramifications are for a "rule breaker" that isn't a student or employee, but rather just an alumni.
    Well, they have a couple of choices. They can ask you to lock it up in a pistol locker at the PD (or you can lock it in the car but they HIGHLY discourage that) or they can ask you to leave IUPUI property. It is usually the former and rarely the latter unless the former does not work. Of course it has been almost 10 years since I've worked there. Keep it well concealed and there will be no problems.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    this whole thing could have been easily avoided...

if she had been in the kitchen.

seriously though... I see that teh police do have the right to stop you if you are OC'ing to determine whether you are committing a crime, but as soon as you present your LTCH, it is obvious no crime is being committed (unless you're in a legal no-carry zone) and they should let you on your merry way.

It would be much better, for him, if he were able to leave the gun in his car while at work. Sounds like he is without transportation right now and even having a gun in the car is STILL against policy, but at least no one would see it.

if you effectively CC, you would satisfy the criteria of "at least no one would see it"

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    this whole thing could have been easily avoided...

if she had been in the kitchen.

seriously though... I see that teh police do have the right to stop you if you are OC'ing to determine whether you are committing a crime, but as soon as you present your LTCH, it is obvious no crime is being committed (unless you're in a legal no-carry zone) and they should let you on your merry way.
    Well that is debatable. However, OCing on IUPUI property WILL get you negative attention. Since firearms are a no-no and the staff know it, they WILL call.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I really hope next year they pass a law protecting handguns on campus. This year they got the parking lot bill, next year I say campus bill!

Top Bottom