• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Debatable. If Mac had his way, North Korea wouldn't exist, China held in check, and the Soviets never gotten a solid foothold in parts of Western Europe.

Yes, unfortunately, everything is debatable. IMO, he is one of the most overrated Generals of the twentieth century. His insistence on retaking the Philippines instead of bypassing them a la Rabaul and Truk cost hundreds of thousands of Filipino lives not to mention our casualties. Even after Pearl Harbor and plenty of notice that he was next he was caught completely flat footed and lost his entire air force by a simple lack of preparation. I'll give him credit for his post war administration of Japan and his landing at Inchon. That's about it.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Don't have to mind read...you just have to research and read. Lots of info out there on both of them. Harry clearly had a different set of problems than Trump. No Nato. 1946 rocketry. Trump? He was looking for hotel acreage. Big difference.

Trump isn't allowed to build resorts and hotels outside the United States? I did not know that!

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    He's not allowed to buy land with Treasury money for his hotels...anywhere.

And we pay him for a full-time position. No moonlighting. He already plays golf more than he works. He doesn't get time off in lieu of overtime he never puts in.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    giphy.gif

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

And we pay him for a full-time position. No moonlighting. He already plays golf more than he works. He doesn't get time off in lieu of overtime he never puts in.

Wow! And I thought you were putting your wishes into interpretation of the Ukraine call...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yeah. I know a few lawyers who have billable 26 hour days.

Me too, but a president, on golf courses, in bed, in the john- he is always on call and frequently more than on call, making decisions and directing actions no matter what it looks like to the armchair politicos he is doing.

This goes for all presidents in recent history. I never thought the "Obama golfs too much" criticism was fair and it's not fair now.

I know, I know, if one doesn't like Trump, then he's an ass in all he does and he's lazy because "lazy" is a negative thing and we must ascribe all negative attributes to our political opponents. Well, that's lazy, unrealistic thinking on every side. No matter what we think of the president of the moment, they are dealing with issues that we in the cheap seats never imagine...though we arrogantly imagine that we have some sort of insight.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Me too, but a president, on golf courses, in bed, in the john- he is always on call and frequently more than on call, making decisions and directing actions no matter what it looks like to the armchair politicos he is doing.

This goes for all presidents in recent history. I never thought the "Obama golfs too much" criticism was fair and it's not fair now.

I know, I know, if one doesn't like Trump, then he's an ass in all he does and he's lazy because "lazy" is a negative thing and we must ascribe all negative attributes to our political opponents. Well, that's lazy, unrealistic thinking on every side. No matter what we think of the president of the moment, they are dealing with issues that we in the cheap seats never imagine...though we arrogantly imagine that we have some sort of insight.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Ho

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

I would agree that outsiders have a very limited view of insider activity. However, when senior officials who have left the administration speak about Trump, and those reports are fairly consistent, it would seem they might be more accurate than your outsider generalization. (with all due respect)

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Trump is so lazy.
    He won't even work 168 hours a week like Obama did and Biden would.

The only way those 2 worked that many hours was from all the daydreaming they accomplished. Obama on the golf course and Biden from the fog of forgetfulness.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I would agree that outsiders have a very limited view of insider activity. However, when senior officials who have left the administration speak about Trump, and those reports are fairly consistent, it would seem they might be more accurate than your outsider generalization. (with all due respect)
    When people get fired for lack of performance, they always say it’s someone else’s fault! I mean “asked/told to resign”.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Well, around here you were certainly in the minority; but I do have to ask this. We already know that Trump lied about not playing golf when he was president. We also know that he's played a hell of a lot more golf than Obama. Ok, it's already been settled that the president should be able to have some leisure time. Now, my question for you is, do you think that the costs associated with such "leisure time," cost passed on to the taxpayer, should be considered by the president?

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana

Each quarter, his salary is donated to a department in the US Government that is allowed to receive citizen donations. Federal Regulations (aka FCR) prohibit federal government agencies from taking donations unless specifically authorized by Congress. In the absence of that, any donation earmarked to an agency that cannot receive it goes into the US Treasury General Fund. Trump's donations go to a different agency each quarter. There is a list of them here up through 3rd Quarter 2019. Article was published in December 2019, hence the 4th Quarter 2019 is TBD.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2019/12/13/president-trump-salary-donation/

John

Shootin45super

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Bloomington
    Cost to the taxpayer?
    Taxpayers have always covered these cost.
    Think thats bad,how about $16,000 for ink pins to sign the papers to impeach Trump.
    Democrats get back in,be ready to pay alot of taxpayer cost!

Top Bottom