In the corn and beans
    Last edited:

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Just an observation, the futures markets are falling like a rock. Those people selling have to park there money somewhere. Don’t think they want to put it in the bank. So demand for safe haven grows. Just a thought.

eta: typed this at ~9:00 am, forgot to hit post
    You're saying the future stock market is dropping? Is their a silver futures indicator or chart? I do understand there is 400:1 paper/physical in the silver Comex. It'd be nice to buy silver at less than 30 spot although that ship may have sailed.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks, to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    You're saying the future stock market is dropping? Is their a silver futures indicator or chart? I do understand there is 400:1 paper/physical in the silver Comex. It'd be nice to buy silver at less than 30 spot although that ship may have sailed.
    I don’t trade in paper so my knowledge in that area is extremely limited. I made some observations and in my reasoning,
    thoughts as to why physical metal and contract price was on the rise. And I could very well be mistaken, I often am.

I note others here are quite fluent in the paper markets, they may chime in and give a much more comprehensive answer.

That said, keep your eye on the market. What goes up must come down, just be ready to jump when it happens.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks, to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    With gold/silver ratio at 85.63, is now the time to trade gold for silver?
    Only my opinion, but you must take the premium for each into consideration, then do the math and see if it works for you personally. Large decoupling events are rare.

A good DCA (dollar cost average) per oz. is very helpful.

In the best of both worlds I myself like as close to 50:1, silver to gold, or 100:1, gold to silver. Remember those are perfect world numbers. We rarely live in a perfect world. In reality anytime you can grow your stack by even 1 oz. You gain.

The paper traders usually keep the ratios just inside the premium so honest physical traders can’t make it worthwhile.

Of course it’s almost impossible to hit any market at its peak. So when it gets tolerable to my expectations I trade.

Just guessing, but it seems like I get 1 trade about every 3 years. Give or take.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    It's been, I dunno, three years since I bought my first silver.

Spot today is less than I paid in 2021, while the money supply and prices of almost everything ballooned 40% in the same time.

Just keeping up with inflation, spot should be around $40.

Is it just me or is silver a massive money loser and a disaster as a hedge against inflation?

nonobaddog

Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Spot today is less than I paid in 2021, while the money supply and prices of almost everything ballooned 40% in the same time.

Is it just me or is silver a massive money loser and a disaster as a hedge against inflation?
    Well there is a long stretch between August 2020 and February 2024 where it actually lost money so in that time frame it really sucks as a hedge and as an investment. But it did go up significantly before that period and after that period.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Depends on your objective. Not in it for investment return - that's what the mutual funds and annuities are for. As for an inflation hedge, that jury's still out. Do you trust the government to exercise fiscal control and discipline? Because always and everywhere - despite what the Biden apologists say about corporate greed - inflation is a result of government policies.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    In 1947, the gas price average was .23 cents. A quarter would buy a gallon of gas and have some left over.
    The gas price at Marathon on East 71st Street, Indy, is $3.79.
    The current melt value of that same (90% silver), 1947 quarter is $5.02.

My answer to you would be...
    Yes, it's just you. :@ya:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

I started buying silver in the early 90s. Think I was paying around $5 oz. Most expensive silver I've bought was around $22-23. I'm doing pretty good on my return thru the years, if I wanted to sell that is

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I started buying silver in the early 90s. Think I was paying around $5 oz. Most expensive silver I've bought was around $22-23. I'm doing pretty good on my return thru the years, if I wanted to sell that is
    Dollar cost average on me is 18.02 an ounce. Minus the 90 precent I have from gifts and being old Ect. I have traded silver at spot for firearms in the past.

Reactions: Mij

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    368   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I don't buy Eagles often due to the high premium, but this seems a good deal surprisingly from Provident.

I got into silver in 2011-12. Early on prices were in the mid to high twenties, into the thirties. Loved the period from mid 2014 to 2020 when spot stayed below $20.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Has anyone read "The Creature from Jekyll Island" by G. Edward Griffin? I'm going to soon as I've known about it awhile and the premise of how the Federal Reserve was set up for plunder with no plan to ever repay the debt. David Rogers Webb, who has the free download book and documentery on Youtube called the "Great Taking", interviews Mr. Griffin in this video. At time mark 1:06 they discuss how the fiat currency system might be addressed to repay the debt. The entire interview is quite interesting and Mr. Griffin is now 92 years old.

Top Bottom