• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How do you confirm what you have is pure silver? Is there a method that’s reliable that’s easy and portable? I understand the coins would be better in this case but what about bullion?
    All about the nation. I like Eagles, Leaves, Roos and Britannias. Have a few Libertads which are cool (gifts from clients).

I have some oddballs (Armenia has a very cool Noah's Ark), but 95% are those 4, USA, Canada, Australia and UK.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Curious, how do you think that plays out? You resell at higher price?
    You use them for trade or currency if there’s a total crash?
    Or what? Serious question
    Don't know. Both maybe. Physical gold and silver is a hedge (dude, we are 33T in debt) and allows flexibility should I have to act. I also own a dog's breakfast of digital metals--platinum, gold, nickel, palladium, inter alia.

The coins are a narrow slice of the pizza, maybe a fraction of a percentage of your total egg (I pray stocks float) and perhaps it is about feelings, but like reserve pistols or fire extinguishers I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Don't know. Both maybe. Physical gold and silver is a hedge (dude, we are 33T in debt) and allows flexibility should I have to act. I also own a dog's breakfast of digital metals--platinum, gold, nickel, palladium, inter alia.

The coins are a narrow slice of the pizza, maybe a fraction of a percentage of your total egg (I pray stocks float) and perhaps it is about feelings, but like reserve pistols or fire extinguishers I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    We are now over $35T. But if every deadbeat citizen would pony up their $104K, we could pull out of this hole.
    That way Congress could get on with the chore of spending taxpayer money like drunken sailors.

I think PM's give a person/family "options". One thing we don't know, is what's coming down the road. We can make some very good educated guesses, but we can't know for sure. Like you said, better to have something and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

PayUpDeadbeats.jpg

SmolderOutdoors

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   1
    Apr 15, 2013
    Westfield
    All about the nation. I like Eagles, Leaves, Roos and Britannias. Have a few Libertads which are cool (gifts from clients).

I have some oddballs (Armenia has a very cool Noah's Ark), but 95% are those 4, USA, Canada, Australia and UK.
    The Noah’s arc is cool. If you play with it in light (tilt it back forth under light) there is an effect on the sun beams

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    JMO, but it looks like silver (contracts, paper silver) is trying to pull gold down. Gold ain’t liking it and appears to be holding its ground. Take this as you find it. 88:1

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The Mrs, called an outfit like that. In addition to the spot price, and in addition to the premium, was an additional annual fee for vault rental. "yes ma'am, that is how it is done, and we have the cheapest annual fee in the business".

Yes, it's a lot of vig/overhead and someone else has your property in a ill-defined bailment. Never understood it.

As long as you don't go nuts about it, nothing wrong with holding on to actual precious metal in coin, bars, etc. My last meeting with my CFP he was looking over the top of his reading glasses at me but I like having the hedge on me rather than another muni bond fund.

Writing the check to the bond fund is no fun as the ROI is set up for disappointment, but a cigar box full of Roos or Eagles has a heft to it and reassures me.:D

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I have been trading with the same coin shop for several years. Theirs has been sitting on the back counter all that time. They check everything they buy.
    Yep, and if it’s Jeff up at five points he has a 100 oz. fake bar on display in the case out front. He is the one that found out about them and put the FBI on to the crooks. He was notified that there may be some still out in the wild. I’ve traded with them since the dad (Dan) owned the old store up there.

Don’t know much about Mr. Ramsey or Mr. Smith. But Mr. Smith gave me some good advice. I just found his premium a bit hi at the time.

Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom