Is It Good For The Gun Cause To Bash Suppliers On The Open Internet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Isn’t posting on a forum inviting others to opine? And I really do hope folks think twice before posting about 2A suppliers to determine if the situation really warrants it…
    Several years ago, I took my Remington 552 Speedmaster, semi-automatic .22 to a gun shop in Brownsburg to have a professional cleaning. I bought the rifle brand new in 1980 and had hunted hard with it through the years. It then sat in the gun safe for quite a few years, until I decided I might want to do just a little squirrel hunting again. I took it out to check zero, and the rifle wouldn`t cycle. It kept jamming and ammo wouldn`t feed. So this gun shop in Brownsburg says sure, they`ll tear it down, give it a deep, "professional" cleaning. I picked up my rifle and paid and left. Went out to finally zero, and it had the very same issues as before the "professional" cleaning. I never even went back to the Brownsburg gun shop, because they were asses in the first place and I knew it wouldn`t go anywhere. I took the rifle to the gunsmith I knew I should have gone to in the first damned place, he tore it down and it functions like brand spanking new.
    Should I not have left the review I left on Yelp, letting everyone know how I got taken-robbed basically? THIS is the stuff we OWE it to other people to let them know about. Period.

Last edited:

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    What started out as one member being pissed off about one visit to one particular range (and one piddly little five dollar charge) and evolved into two separate threads that have probably taken way too much of my (and others’) time (but that’s on us for reading the threads) clearly demonstrates the real morals of this convoluted story…

What pisses one person off enough to start all this is something other people would just walk away from and not even give a second thought. If we write to an audience, we don’t know which one of those two extremes (or anywhere between) the reader may fall. So guess what? They’re very unlikely to agree with you, and you’re very unlikely to change their mind about how they feel about the situation. So, you’ve probably both (reader and writer) wasted your time.

Furthermore, the world is in bull**** overload. The Internet and social media is mostly to blame for this, perpetuated by the human nature of people who want to influences others’ decisions to buy, sell, like, hate, join, denounce, support, oppose, etc. damn near anything. So everyone needs to calibrate and maintain their own bull**** meters and proceed with caution, because this world isn’t becoming a safer, more honest place.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    What started out as one member being pissed off about one visit to one particular range (and one piddly little five dollar charge) and evolved into two separate threads that have probably taken way too much of my (and others’) time (but that’s on us for reading the threads) clearly demonstrates the real morals of this convoluted story…

What pisses one person off enough to start all this is something other people would just walk away from and not even give a second thought. If we write to an audience, we don’t know which one of those two extremes (or anywhere between) the reader may fall. So guess what? They’re very unlikely to agree with you, and you’re very unlikely to change their mind about how they feel about the situation. So, you’ve probably both (reader and writer) wasted your time.

Furthermore, the world is in bull**** overload. The Internet and social media is mostly to blame for this, perpetuated by the human nature of people who want to influences others’ decisions to buy, sell, like, hate, join, denounce, support, oppose, etc. damn near anything. So everyone needs to calibrate and maintain their own bull**** meters and proceed with caution, because this world isn’t becoming a safer, more honest place.
    I can’t believe I just wasted 2 minutes of my life reading that post.

Well said.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    We have had several venting threads bashing even local purveyors of ranges, supplies, and training. Do theses help the overall cause of promoting gun rights, and broadening the options available to us or do they hurt the cause? I do not think we should ever create a thread specifically to bash any 2A supplier on the forum, especially those supporting the site, and limit the negative we do in general threads to facts. This is the open internet and the supplier you hurt may be one that many other members rely on.

Now, to what I did not say that I will be accused of. You can tell your buddies anything you want, I did not suggest any restrictions on speech, but rather that we protect those we have supplying us by not creating a full rant on the open internet because you don’t like their policies…
    I'm in favor of honest reviews of businesses, regardless of what type of business they are. If an honest review requires what you call "bashing", so be it. Do you really think that there are so few 2A suppliers that we are an endangered species? If one goes out of business, another will eventually replace it or it will help the remaining ones stay in business. In my opinion, I don't deserve to be in business if I don't treat my customers well. The fact that someone could potentially start a thread "bashing" a business encourages good customer relations.
    Being a business owner, I usually refrain from bashing other businesses. I think in that case it can seem more like I'm trying to attack the competition. Not that I feel like business owners in general should be held to that standard, but I try to hold myself to that standard, mostly.
    That being said, it will be a cold day in hell before I retain customer information for ANY purchase. In my opinion, that just goes against the intent of the 2nd Amendment. It's just that though, my OPINION.

tude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    ohio

I agree. From the gas pump to the grocery store we are told " I don't know if the last person you dealt with took your last penney, but I am going to do my best to get it, plus I have a big list of excuses to justify it". When Walmart and Lowes saw us lined up outside in all kinds of weather to be allowed in their store and then tell us where we are to walk and stand while we wait on the one open register, they saw customer service had been a waste of time and money. As gun owners we have spent a lot money with those that supply our habit and we know they have to make a profit to stay in business, but it still hurts when some, not all, of them have adopted the Walmart attitude.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I just don’t see the need to make everything on our side sacrosanct. Oh, that smells like something related to the 2A, better not talk about how ****y CTD is. Someone lurker on the fence might take that as a reason not to support the 2A cause.:rolleyes:

Really? Not everything must be about “the cause”. As others have said, if you’ve had a bad experience with a business, many people will want to know. Not everyone thinks we have to walk on eggshells to avoid sharing our experiences with ****y businesses.

Gun related businesses don’t get a pass just because they’re in an industry that needs the 2A for them to have a business. We need the 2A. The 2A doesn’t need ****y businesses for it to survive the onslaught of anti-gun zealots. The reputation of a business should not be synthesized just for some unfounded fear it could damage the 2A. If anything the 2A is strengthened by a healthy market pushing back on bad businesses.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I just don’t see the need to make everything on our side sacrosanct. Oh, that smells like something related to the 2A, better not talk about how ****y CTD is. Someone lurker on the fence might take that as a reason not to support the 2A cause.:rolleyes:

Really? Not everything must be about “the cause”. As others have said, if you’ve had a bad experience with a business, many people will want to know. Not everyone thinks we have to walk on eggshells to avoid sharing our experiences with ****y businesses.

Gun related businesses don’t get a pass just because they’re in an industry that needs the 2A for them to have a business. We need the 2A. The 2A doesn’t need ****y businesses for it to survive the onslaught of anti-gun zealots. The reputation of a business should not be synthesized just for some unfounded fear it could damage the 2A. If anything the 2A is strengthened by a healthy market pushing back on bad businesses.
    I find it interesting that in all the replies about CTD no one has the foggiest idea how such a reviled business can stay in business all these years through all the changes in our world. It is clear there is a true hatred for them. As bad as they are one would think they would fail immediately. How do they survive not only the bad business practices but all the bad publicity?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    For all the weeping, wailing, and nashing of teeth over ammo shortages there sure is a lot of animosity toward the idea of thinking through and self regulating ourselves to major issues when posting negatively about 2A suppliers.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    For all espousing their right to speak out, I sincerely hope you all are just as zealous in safeguarding our speech that the government/social media collaboration is taking…

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I find it interesting that in all the replies about CTD no one has the foggiest idea how such a reviled business can stay in business all these years through all the changes in our world. It is clear there is a true hatred for them. As bad as they are one would think they would fail immediately. How do they survive not only the bad business practices but all the bad publicity?
    Because we are a small percentage of "complainers". We are one forum with 48K members of which I bet only a fraction are active in a country of 330,000,000 people.

Sure a business doesn't like bad publicity, but it's just like not patronizing a business that has a "no guns allowed" sign posted. There are not enough numbers to seriously hurt them in most cases.

Each of us needs to do what is important to us. If we don't want to buy from CTD, patronize businesses that post signs we don't agree with, watch movies because they are made in Hollywood or wear Patagonia clothing items, then don't do it. But don't think that your protest will shut them down or even make them reconsider.

If you want to tell others why you do those things, then have at it. But don't expect them to be on board. Some are just not that passionate.

Companies go out of business due to poor management, business practices, cash flow, corruption and loss of viability in the markets. If a handful of protestors can shut down a business, they were on their way out anyways. Look at PSA. They get "bashed" regularly, yet they continue to grow.

There are a lot of folks out there that aren't on any kind of forum and they buy stuff from wherever they find it. They may search a little or they may not want to put much time and effort into saving a nickel so whatever business is near the top of their web search gets the sale.

BTW, this is not directed at you Ingomike, it is a general response to this thread since I haven't posted in a few pages cuz I was stuck on post number 9,999 and wanted my 10,000th post to be on a different thread. :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There are a lot of folks out there that aren't on any kind of forum and they buy stuff from wherever they find it. They may search a little or they may not want to put much time and effort into saving a nickel so whatever business is near the top of their web search gets the sale.
    I think this is as likely an answer to Mike's question about why CTD is still in business as any. :yesway: Some people just don't know any better. They probably don't know about sites like gun-deals.com or ammoseek to find better deals.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom