Is It Good For The Gun Cause To Bash Suppliers On The Open Internet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    So let’s say someone comes on and posts a thread here bashing your LGS for not offering a layaway, fair game or not? That is the topic.

How about a published $5 annual charge to use the range? Is that reasonable to post a thread about?

This thread was about raising awareness of the potential cost of frivolous beefing over little things. Kind of like the crap the Karen’s do described by Ger0n1mo…
    As a business owner, I've been negatively reviewed on Google. Funny enough, the person was never a client and posted some asinine message about how a national chain competitor was better. I politely corrected the person, and refuted what she said about my competition being better.

Would you believe my clients were smart enough to see the person posting the asinine message and came to me anyway?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    As a business owner, I've been negatively reviewed on Google. Funny enough, the person was never a client and posted some asinine message about how a national chain competitor was better. I politely corrected the person, and refuted what she said about my competition being better.

Would you believe my clients were smart enough to see the person posting the asinine message and came to me anyway?
    I am just hoping this thread makes folks think before they rant about little things, in the scope of life, concerning 2A suppliers. Nothing more, nothing less…

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    seinfeld-no-thanks.gif

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You clearly never ran a small business that is dependent on a good reputation.

BTW, I think you suck because you do not agree with me all the time..

Just for the mods clarity this is a tounge in cheek post making a frivolous complaint about a guy I like a lot.
    Thank you. You suck too. :):

I think I’ve mentioned in this thread that reputation is very important to businesses especially small businesses. If it’s yelp or something like that, an Amazon review, or something where there’s not a good way to push back.

A forum is different. If you post a thread either being overly critical or praising, people who also have had experience with the business will push back if their experience is different.

One last point, I don’t know about you, but when I read reviews it’s a process to figure out the value of a given review. If it’s a positive review is it real? Is it just a fanboi? If it’s negative, are they just stupid? If a product, did they use it incorrectly? If a business did they have realistic expectations?

I think in the age of online feedback we all have become more savvy at parsing negative and positive opinions into an overall perception. I think it’s the same with this subject.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

It’s important for the business to push back on those reviews. As consumers, it all comes down to whether a negative review is relevant for our purposes or whether we believe the person has a valid complaint. I absolutely do pay attention to that business’s response to criticisms.

The Lion’s share if negative reviews I’ve read on Amazon look to me like the person can’t or won’t read. Their expectations didn’t meet reality.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    For me, I am annoyed by the constant bashing on Nextdoor and Facebook by Karens looking for things to be upset about. How about posting on the good companies and your positive experiences? This actually helps these companies by steering business to them and ultimately detracts from the ones that are less than stellar.
    Karens...LOL. Are you 16?

I disagree completely. It`s a service to fellow outdoorsmen to warn them about unscrupulous, shady business and business practices.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Karens...LOL. Are you 16?

I disagree completely. It`s a service to fellow outdoorsmen to warn them about unscrupulous, shady business and business practices.
    I don't think he's talking about the gun community. Nextdoor (and Facebook) is full of busy bodies with too much time on their hands. I used to be on Nextdoor when it first started up and it wasn't bad back then. It was like a virtual neighborhood watch group. Then politics got inserted and then it turned to mostly gossipers and social justice warriors.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    “Is It Good For The Gun Cause To Bash Suppliers On The Open Internet?”

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fair game. It’s a service not offered that the person wanted.

Yes.

Why is it frivolous and what is the cost?

If you want layaway and the business doesn’t offer layaway, no one is lying. How is that frivolous? Everyone who might shop at that store knows whether they care about layaway or not. If they don’t care about it, it’s not likely to influence their decision. If they do care about it, it may influence their decision, but it’s not like they won’t figure out the business doesn’t offer layaway.

If it’s frivolous then people can figure that out too. Sometimes people get snooty about ****. Get offended over nothing. Then go post their complaints online. When they do it on a forum like this, people can push back. I think you infer a cost not evident. It’s not “bad” for the gun cause to post negative stuff even if frivolous. If it turns out to be a legitimate claim it’s bad for that business, but justifiably so.
    The first line was a question.

So it is reasonable in your opinion to make negative comments about Pizza Hut because they don’t sell guns?

This is retarded…. LOL

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I don't think he's talking about the gun community. Nextdoor (and Facebook) is full of busy bodies with too much time on their hands. I used to be on Nextdoor when it first started up and it wasn't bad back then. It was like a virtual neighborhood watch group. Then politics got inserted and then it turned to mostly gossipers and social justice warriors.
    But, here is the exact quote of what he said:

For me, I am annoyed by the constant bashing on Nextdoor and Facebook by Karens looking for things to be upset about. How about posting on the good companies and your positive experiences? This actually helps these companies by steering business to them and ultimately detracts from the ones that are less than stellar.

The debate here has turned into; is it more noble to warn other outdoorsmen about poor service, or, is it more noble to stay silent in some sort of weird, twisted "support" of Second Amendment companies. This post infers that we ought not say anything negative because, gee whiz, let`s be positive!

This is the same senseless mindset that the original op had; that we`re somehow doing a disservice to Second Amendment "supporting" companies by calling out bad business. That`s asinine.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The debate here has turned into; is it more noble to warn other outdoorsmen about poor service, or, is it more noble to stay silent in some sort of weird, twisted "support" of Second Amendment companies.
    Only because counter posters keep moving the goal posts from what was originally posted…

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    But, here is the exact quote of what he said:

The debate here has turned into; is it more noble to warn other outdoorsmen about poor service, or, is it more noble to stay silent in some sort of weird, twisted "support" of Second Amendment companies. This post infers that we ought not say anything negative because, gee whiz, let`s be positive!

This is the same senseless mindset that the original op had; that we`re somehow doing a disservice to Second Amendment "supporting" companies by calling out bad business. That`s asinine.
    Context is everything. Trust me when I say that almost NOBODY is talking about gun shops on Nextdoor. As for the rest, I agree with it. Why not post both the good and the bad? I think both are equally valuable. That's what reviews are all about, and I don't think that businesses should be immune just because they sell guns. I think we're in agreement, aren't we?

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Please quote this from the original post…
    You said;

We have had several venting threads bashing even local purveyors of ranges, supplies, and training. Do theses help the overall cause of promoting gun rights, and broadening the options available to us or do they hurt the cause? I do not think we should ever create a thread specifically to bash any 2A supplier on the forum, especially those supporting the site, and limit the negative we do in general threads to facts. This is the open internet and the supplier you hurt may be one that many other members rely on.

Now, to what I did not say that I will be accused of. You can tell your buddies anything you want, I did not suggest any restrictions on speech, but rather that we protect those we have supplying us by not creating a full rant on the open internet because you don’t like their policies…

In your own words, you implied that ought not say anything bad about companies that provide inferior service or engage in bad business practices, because, we "might hurt the Second Amendment cause".

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Context is everything. Trust me when I say that almost NOBODY is talking about gun shops on Nextdoor. As for the rest, I agree with it. Why not post both the good and the bad? I think both are equally valuable. That's what reviews are all about, and I don't think that businesses should be immune just because they sell guns. I think we're in agreement, aren't we?
    You bet we are!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You said;

We have had several venting threads bashing even local purveyors of ranges, supplies, and training. Do theses help the overall cause of promoting gun rights, and broadening the options available to us or do they hurt the cause? I do not think we should ever create a thread specifically to bash any 2A supplier on the forum, especially those supporting the site, and limit the negative we do in general threads to facts. This is the open internet and the supplier you hurt may be one that many other members rely on.

Now, to what I did not say that I will be accused of. You can tell your buddies anything you want, I did not suggest any restrictions on speech, but rather that we protect those we have supplying us by not creating a full rant on the open internet because you don’t like their policies…

In your own words, you implied that ought not say anything bad about companies that provide inferior service or engage in bad business practices, because, we "might hurt the Second Amendment cause".
    I said. “I do not think we should ever create a thread specifically to bash any 2A supplier on the forum, especially those supporting the site,”

Further said, “and limit the negative we do in general threads to facts. This is the open internet and the supplier you hurt may be one that many other members rely on.”

I did not say, “that ought not say ANYTHING bad about companies that provide inferior service or engage in bad business practices, because, we "might hurt the Second Amendment cause".

Big difference than what you said. That is a strawman that some seem to wish I said…

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I said. “I do not think we should ever create a thread specifically to bash any 2A supplier on the forum, especially those supporting the site,”

Further said, “and limit the negative we do in general threads to facts. This is the open internet and the supplier you hurt may be one that many other members rely on.”

I did not say, “that ought not say anything bad about companies that provide inferior service or engage in bad business practices, because, we "might hurt the Second Amendment cause".
    That is specifically what you`ve implied in the initial post and subsequent posts as well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom