Is It Good For The Gun Cause To Bash Suppliers On The Open Internet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    Indy West Side
    We have had several venting threads bashing even local purveyors of ranges, supplies, and training. Do theses help the overall cause of promoting gun rights, and broadening the options available to us or do they hurt the cause? I do not think we should ever create a thread specifically to bash any 2A supplier on the forum, especially those supporting the site, and limit the negative we do in general threads to facts. This is the open internet and the supplier you hurt may be one that many other members rely on.

Now, to what I did not say that I will be accused of. You can tell your buddies anything you want, I did not suggest any restrictions on speech, but rather that we protect those we have supplying us by not creating a full rant on the open internet because you don’t like their policies…
    I think some companies are garbage to work with, so I see it as a public service announcement to warn people about crappy companies. Same way I’d take up for other companies that people may bash.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I use to be a big fan of CTD back in the early 1990's when they mailed out catalogs to you and internet wasn't that big yet. They where Cheaper than the majority.
    Then something happened and they went on to be one of the highest priced companies. Their customer service took a nose dive as well and I haven't bought off if them in over 23 years. Looks like they are still trash according to what I've been reading from others, and their prices are higher than ever.
    After my one and only dealing with CTD, for an item that was NOT as it was advertised (their ad lied) and they refused to accept a return, I washed my hands of them. Then the junk mail started. They sold my customer information to every crap business out there and for a while I was getting 2-3 catalogs a day for cheap dodgy junk. Back in the day I used a unique middle initial for every company I did business with to track who was selling my customer info, and all of these had the one I used with CTD.

Now, I know nowadays we don’t care who has our information and is selling it, but back then it was a bigger deal than it is now apparently. So after that singular experience with them, and experience I had never had with any other company, they went on my permanent **** list. Over the years, and this was about 20 years ago, I have never heard anything that made me change my opinion of them.

There have been several local businesses to me over the years (not gun related) that I wondered how they stayed in business. More than once it was found out that they were fronts for money laundering for drugs. I’m not claiming this is the case of the above mentioned company, but it does sometimes answer why a company will stay in business when we don’t think they should be in business because they are so crap.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    One more example,

A certain niche ammo manufacture made what was supposed to be a hot new self-defense 10 mm ammo. There were multiple complaints that the bullets that they were using were cheap bulk plinking bullets, not loaded as hot as their claims, and often not even the correct bullet weight.

I bought some, found out that indeed yes, they were not the high-quality commercial bonded jacketed hollow points that they claimed, that their loads were about 30% under their claimed velocity even with lighter bullets. When I contacted them they blew me off. This is not from a major ammo manufacturer that I would expect to just ignore a single customer, but a small enough outfit that one would think they would care about negative publicity about this. To me I felt it was dangerous that they were mis-advertising a product used for self-defense, and that if they had such shoddy quality control that they let it out like that, or that they were deliberately lying to their customers and charging premium SD ammo rates for plinking rounds (for the younguns out there, we used to care about such things). Either way, folks needed to be publicly warned about the business practices of that company.

I think there’s a difference between grumbling about something you don’t like, versus crappy business practices, or worse potential safety issues caused by faulty equipment. Companies that don’t take the latter very seriously need to be loudly and publicly called out regardless.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    One more example,

A certain niche ammo manufacture made what was supposed to be a hot new self-defense 10 mm ammo. There were multiple complaints that the bullets that they were using were cheap bulk plinking bullets, not loaded as hot as their claims, and often not even the correct bullet weight.

I bought some, found out that indeed yes, they were not the high-quality commercial bonded jacketed hollow points that they claimed, that their loads were about 30% under their claimed velocity even with lighter bullets. When I contacted them they blew me off. This is not from a major ammo manufacturer that I would expect to just ignore a single customer, but a small enough outfit that one would think they would care about negative publicity about this. To me I felt it was dangerous that they were mis-advertising a product used for self-defense, and that if they had such shoddy quality control that they let it out like that, or that they were deliberately lying to their customers and charging premium SD ammo rates for plinking rounds (for the younguns out there, we used to care about such things). Either way, folks needed to be publicly warned about the business practices of that company.

I think there’s a difference between grumbling about something you don’t like, versus crappy business practices, or worse potential safety issues caused by faulty equipment. Companies that don’t take the latter very seriously need to be loudly and publicly called out regardless.
    So... what company was it? :)

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    After my one and only dealing with CTD, for an item that was NOT as it was advertised (their ad lied) and they refused to accept a return, I washed my hands of them. Then the junk mail started. They sold my customer information to every crap business out there and for a while I was getting 2-3 catalogs a day for cheap dodgy junk. Back in the day I used a unique middle initial for every company I did business with to track who was selling my customer info, and all of these had the one I used with CTD.

Now, I know nowadays we don’t care who has our information and is selling it, but back then it was a bigger deal than it is now apparently. So after that singular experience with them, and experience I had never had with any other company, they went on my permanent **** list. Over the years, and this was about 20 years ago, I have never heard anything that made me change my opinion of them.

There have been several local businesses to me over the years (not gun related) that I wondered how they stayed in business. More than once it was found out that they were fronts for money laundering for drugs. I’m not claiming this is the case of the above mentioned company, but it does sometimes answer why a company will stay in business when we don’t think they should be in business because they are so crap.
    Funny how back in the day we were so mad at our address being sold and getting magazines, and now we just live with the idea that our SS, CC and everything else are just out there floating around in the cloud. I at least want a catalog out of it.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Where's Johnny Chimpo?
    launched into orbit...
    70939718-%E6%89%8B%E3%81%AB%E3%81%AF%E3%80%81%E3%83%90%E3%83%8A%E3%83%8A%E3%81%AB%E6%89%8B%E3%82%92%E4%BC%B8%E3%81%B0%E3%81%97%E3%80%81%E3%82%B9%E3%83%9A%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B9-%E3%83%A2%E3%83%B3%E3%82%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%81%AE%E6%A6%82%E5%BF%B5%E5%9B%B3%E3%81%8C%E6%8F%8F%E3%81%8B%E3%82%8C%E3%81%BE%E3%81%97%E3%81%9F%E3%80%82%E3%81%A9%E3%81%AE%E7%A8%8B%E5%BA%A6%E3%81%BE%E3%81%A7-1-%E3%81%A4%E3%81%AE%E5%95%8F%E9%A1%8C%E3%82%92%E5%8F%96%E5%BE%97%E3%81%97%E3%81%BE%E3%81%9B%E3%82%93%E3%80%811-%E3%81%A4%E3%81%AF%E5%B8%B8%E3%81%AB%E5%BD%BC%E3%82%89%E3%81%AE%E7%9C%9F%E3%81%AE-nature%C3%A2%E2%82%AC-%E3%81%A8%E5%86%8D%E6%8E%A5%E7%B6%9A%E3%81%99%E3%82%8B%E6%87%87%E9%A1%98%E3%82%92%E6%B0%97%E3%81%A5%E3%81%84%E3%81%9F%E3%81%A8%E3%81%8D%E3%81%93%E3%81%AE%E4%BD%9C%E5%93%81%E3%82%92%E6%83%B3%E5%AE%9A%E3%81%97.jpg

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Funny how back in the day we were so mad at our address being sold and getting magazines, and now we just live with the idea that our SS, CC and everything else are just out there floating around in the cloud. I at least want a catalog out of it.
    I usually just read something in my phone while on the ****er. But it’s good to have backup in case the internet goes down.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom