• Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    This is interesting
    5cc197f88b5be926ece9b7f77ba0ad29.png
    NE Wyoming is pretty much screwed — although there’s nothing there, it’s in between those three pretty clusters. So no matter which way the wind blows, it will be a radioactive wasteland. For centuries.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Wouldn’t need to be a full out nuclear war. A dozen EMPs wipes out the worldwide electric grid. That’s a Greater Reset.

Truthfully, I’ve been “prepared” for nukes to fly since I was a yougin’ hearing about how Ronnie Raygun was going to start WW III.

I’m prepared, if the strike doesn’t kill me, I know enough, have enough to manage the first months. I’ll do my best to rebuild with whoever is left.

TEOTWAWKI is sorta the top tier problem for preparing. Asteroid strike, alien invasion, zombie plague, nuclear war, global depression. Black swan issues.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I was in there before cell phones.
    :oldwise: I bet...lol
    Well this thread took off! Holy crap lol. It seems like it's kind of a split fence when it comes to preparing for this.

I'm in north central Indiana between Kokomo and Fort Wayne. I'm not sure of any targets around me but maybe I'm just unaware. I'd be more worried about a larger bomb being dropped on Indy, Chicago, or Detroit. And obviously if that were to happen the grid would likely be down and fallout would be all over this area depending on wind.

Most the research I've done says that staying hunkered down and sealed in your house for atleast a week afterwards is best to let the fallout decontaminate to a safer level. Obviously you wouldn't want any of that stuff on you but at some point it'd have to happen.

I went ahead and bought the paperback Nuclear War Survival Skills book off of Amazon. W
    GRISSOM ARB

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    This is interesting
    5cc197f88b5be926ece9b7f77ba0ad29.png
    This map is probably a good illustration of cg21's inquiry. All that massive targeting in Montana, North Dakota and the tri-states is likely attempts to prevent our retaliatory capabilities since that's where most of the ICBMs are or were. It begs the question... Are we broadcasting that's where our capabilities are or are we misdirecting their targeting by claiming that's where our capabilities are while in the meantime they're elsewhere? Fact is this whole attack vector schema is very early Cold War era anyways, everyone knows most of the good weapons (both first strike and retaliatory) are under the waves and constantly in motion, making them impossible to target. If whomever fires a first shot at America thinks they can cripple the response mechanism, they're sorely under-informed. Even disrupting the chain of command is a well-rehearsed and documented event scenario our military is prepared for. Those who think they will emerge unscathed will likely have less advance notice of our response than we had of their first strike.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This map is probably a good illustration of cg21's inquiry. All that massive targeting in Montana, North Dakota and the tri-states is likely attempts to prevent our retaliatory capabilities since that's where most of the ICBMs are or were. It begs the question... Are we broadcasting that's where our capabilities are or are we misdirecting their targeting by claiming that's where our capabilities are while in the meantime they're elsewhere? Fact is this whole attack vector schema is very early Cold War era anyways, everyone knows most of the good weapons (both first strike and retaliatory) are under the waves and constantly in motion, making them impossible to target. If whomever fires a first shot at America thinks they can cripple the response mechanism, they're sorely under-informed. Even disrupting the chain of command is a well-rehearsed and documented event scenario our military is prepared for. Those who think they will emerge unscathed will likely have less advance notice of our response than we had of their first strike.

As long as FBM (Fleet Ballistic Missile sub) haven't been technologically superseded, an attack on the land based missiles will not eliminate the threat of a retaliatory strike.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    That's the essence of the Mutually Assured Destruction doctrine. The most accurately named military strategy in history. It's MAD!

Most of us here old enough to remember living through any portion of America's Cold War with Russia knows this was basically the foundation of it. Each side liked to boast of their arsenal of world-ending weapons but neither side was willing to use them for fear of retaliation and subsequent eradication. This was the premise of Dr. Strangelove (referenced earlier) and also the 80s dark comedy Spies Like Us with Chevy Chase and Dan Akroyd. The generals in that movie had a succinct summation of the MAD doctrine, "A weapon unused is a useless weapon" and therefore tried to provoke a nuclear war to justify their bottomless defense budget. So you're completely right in thinking the threat of retaliation is the most effective defense against an attack until some nutjob who doesn't know what decade it is or who's in charge has access to the button and pushes it thinking it's the button to summon more ice cream!
    Thanks for the explanation and history lesson I wasn’t around for that. All definitely makes sense and I knew I wasn’t breaking new ground with my thought. Hopefully it stays that way and both sides just keep comparing sticks.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm nowhere near any targets, but the fallout will be devastating from all the hits west of the Mississippi River. If it comes to that I'll have what I already prepared for the rest is in God's hands.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Yep. I have done work there as well. They search your tool kit take your cell phone and lock it up until you leave
    Run a quick BG check and my sponsor that I did the work for had to remain with me the whole time. Even waiting outside the restroom. It was cool though. They do the guidance systems for missiles. Definitely a target
    Walked through the gates there behind another guy when I forgot my badge. Walked inside of the plant to security to clock in. This was in 82. Security sergeant was a friend of mine.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Fallout will depend if they are ground detonation or air burst. Ground or near ground creates a crater and kicks up the dirt contaminated with radiation, that is where the vast majority of fall out comes from. Airburst does not. Ground more severe immediate damage but smaller area, air burst not as severe damage but much larger area. Generally speaking more overall immediate damage from an airburst vs surface. At least that is my very meager understanding.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Any chance of advance notice of coordinates so an incompetent mentally ill tyranical ****sucking son of a ***** can follow the map?

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    THE BEST RESOURCE -> http://www.ki4u.com/

That's where I purchased my potassium iodide pills several years ago. Looks like they're in short stock.

in.jpg

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    We have iodine pills, miso soup, dosimeters, site readers, gas masks and Geiger counters. Our BOL is underground, nearby, and under a reinforced concrete roof, with multiple sources of water, both surface and underground. Plenty of duct tape and plastic sheeting to seal off doors.

The best possible outcome is that I have wasted my time and money.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We have iodine pills, miso soup, dosimeters, site readers, gas masks and Geiger counters. Our BOL is underground, nearby, and under a reinforced concrete roof, with multiple sources of water, both surface and underground. Plenty of duct tape and plastic sheeting to seal off doors.

It is awesome to have this option. Most of us live in the blast areas, as the maps above easily could double as population map…

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this route. I don't live in a targeted area really close and think we'd have a chance of suriviving the initial wave. But to do that I'd need the above mentioned supplies.

I priced everything out and it'd run me around 1500 bucks or so. And to be honest I've blown that much money on stupid **** I didn't need anyways so I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on it.

My wife and I are planning on building a house in the next 3-5 years with a full basement and I have her on board for a fully concreted room. Mainly to use as a gun room but secondarily as a bomb/storm shelter.

Top Bottom