• churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I totaly forgot about Navel Avionics.
    Its now Raytheon. Yep....thats a target for sure. Anyone know that in WW2 They built the Norton bomb site?
    I saw Raytheon mentioned up thread and it came back that it had been renamed.
    We had a service contract with them a long time ago on a couple of dedicated chillers. The hoops we had to jump through to have access was pretty extreme. Interesting place and I am sure it has completely changed since my time there.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I saw Raytheon mentioned up thread and it came back that it had been renamed.
    We had a service contract with them a long time ago on a couple of dedicated chillers. The hoops we had to jump through to have access was pretty extreme. Interesting place and I am sure it has completely changed since my time there.
    Yep. I have done work there as well. They search your tool kit take your cell phone and lock it up until you leave
    Run a quick BG check and my sponsor that I did the work for had to remain with me the whole time. Even waiting outside the restroom. It was cool though. They do the guidance systems for missiles. Definitely a target

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So question. Wouldn’t this effectively be a kamikaze mission? (Sending one to the USA) I would think ours would immediately be launched in retaliation so then not only is where they hit destroyed but where we hit is also. And no one knows what will happen when multiple go off could give us a moon landscape.

For me that’s what gives me hope that it doesn’t come to that. I could be completely naive and or missing something.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn

not an advertisement, but if you don’t have one of these or similar to stay in for at least a year, your efforts will be futile.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    So question. Wouldn’t this effectively be a kamikaze mission? (Sending one to the USA) I would think ours would immediately be launched in retaliation so then not only is where they hit destroyed but where we hit is also. And no one knows what will happen when multiple go off could give us a moon landscape.

For me that’s what gives me hope that it doesn’t come to that. I could be completely naive and or missing something.
    That's the essence of the Mutually Assured Destruction doctrine. The most accurately named military strategy in history. It's MAD!

Most of us here old enough to remember living through any portion of America's Cold War with Russia knows this was basically the foundation of it. Each side liked to boast of their arsenal of world-ending weapons but neither side was willing to use them for fear of retaliation and subsequent eradication. This was the premise of Dr. Strangelove (referenced earlier) and also the 80s dark comedy Spies Like Us with Chevy Chase and Dan Akroyd. The generals in that movie had a succinct summation of the MAD doctrine, "A weapon unused is a useless weapon" and therefore tried to provoke a nuclear war to justify their bottomless defense budget. So you're completely right in thinking the threat of retaliation is the most effective defense against an attack until some nutjob who doesn't know what decade it is or who's in charge has access to the button and pushes it thinking it's the button to summon more ice cream!

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yep. I have done work there as well. They search your tool kit take your cell phone and lock it up until you leave
    Run a quick BG check and my sponsor that I did the work for had to remain with me the whole time. Even waiting outside the restroom. It was cool though. They do the guidance systems for missiles. Definitely a target
    Does anyone believe anyone will be making anything to put a targeting system into once the missiles start flying?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This is interesting
    5cc197f88b5be926ece9b7f77ba0ad29.png

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was in there before cell phones.

Top Bottom