• ...and so much more!
  • Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    MISO 1 and 2. I wouldn't have thought it THAT important given the associated disruption from a full-scale attack, but Homeland Security apparently disagrees. I guess if you have warheads to go around... :dunno:
    And I was just assuming it was the city of Carmel.
    Pretty sure Russia or China would want to eliminate Carmel first.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    The lucky ones die at ground zero. The rest get to suffer and die off slowly from the aftermath. Tombs is pretty much on the mark - there's going to be far greater casualties in the post-strike landscape than from the initial strike.

Initial strike - wipes some major cities off the map as well as probably a few strategic targets. Disruption of communication, supply chain, infrastructure, etc leads to general chaos. A few more casualties result from general chaos as people become lemmings in the face of a crisis.

Weeks following - survivors near strike zones quickly succumb to radiation poisoning, direction and severity determined by prevailing weather but that too is probably unpredictable. There's likely no long-term studies regarding weather pattern changes resulting from multiple regional nuclear detonations.

Months following - radiation clouds have blanketed the entire country, poisoning the entire population to some degree. Crops wither, livestock dies, those who know how to survive without modern conveniences still struggle to feed themselves and their loved ones, so clan feudalistic mentality sets in. The more isolated and remote the better but it's still a bleak prospect.

The waterways become polluted with the diseased runoff from the mass casualties of both human and animal corpses left unmanaged. Again, isolation being the best defense but no guarantee of safety.

The first year following - probably ~90% casualty rate between the victims of the initial strike, those who perished lacking the skills to adapt and survive, and the casualties of the first winter season. If you think winters are getting worse now, what happens when an ash cloud essentially blocks the sun for months at a time? This will also bring much of the atmospheric radiation back to the earth so look for a second surge of radiation poisoning related deaths and across a much wider area than the initial fallout.

Years later, when longer less obvious effects of radiation include impotence/infertility and genetic disorders, trying to repopulate the human race may be next to impossible. Even if our global leaders and the wealthy elite remain relatively unaffected in their fortified underground bunkers, it could be many years before they emerge and the genetic pool of their offspring will be much less diverse leading to inherited genetic disorders arising from inbreeding. Additionally, if they think they're going to emerge to the same social status that awarded them survival odds, they're going to be sorely disappointed. There will no longer be a class structure upon which they can prop themselves up so they'll emerge healthier but equally unprepared to undertake the task of rebuilding unless they just happened to have an army of working class grunts cryogenically frozen all this time under their bunkers whom they can thaw and immediately put to the whip rebuilding their society.

So yeah the initial victims were the lucky ones.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Well this thread took off! Holy crap lol. It seems like it's kind of a split fence when it comes to preparing for this.

I'm in north central Indiana between Kokomo and Fort Wayne. I'm not sure of any targets around me but maybe I'm just unaware. I'd be more worried about a larger bomb being dropped on Indy, Chicago, or Detroit. And obviously if that were to happen the grid would likely be down and fallout would be all over this area depending on wind.

Most the research I've done says that staying hunkered down and sealed in your house for atleast a week afterwards is best to let the fallout decontaminate to a safer level. Obviously you wouldn't want any of that stuff on you but at some point it'd have to happen.

I went ahead and bought the paperback Nuclear War Survival Skills book off of Amazon. W

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Inevitable. Just when is the question. Prepping won’t help much in a Nuke job, but prepping for everything up till then is thinkable. For instance, in a full scale war before the Nukes, common ammo, 9mm and 5.56 will totally be unavailable to citizens. May even be confiscated by Government.

Not so popular ammo (the stuff I use for serious work) having no use to military use will be left alone for the citizens but will not be made because of government controlled ammo resources. Better stock what you have.

Remember, we can’t even provide ammo for us now let Alone wartime.

We haven’t even began to talk about our official arms manufacturing problems and who can do it?

Hope I’m worm food to see it.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    In a all out nuclear war if you survive the initial wave you might as well open a bottle of your favorite adult beverage and prepare to "opt out". Prior to the second wave. Life won't be worth living.
    You won't be going to work tomorrow you won't be going to the grocery store you won't be doing anything but dying a slow death from radiation poisoning. Of course I'm talking all out end of time nuclear war.

Top Bottom