• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    Ok let me chime in here for a few things. Here is the Wiki link to Bittorrent

BitTorrent (protocol) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically it is a way for large files to be transferred though single or multiple users. The programs themselves are very compact, easy to use and cover multiple operating systems. A vast majority of files are transferred this way.

Bittorrent is used by small companies like EA and Blizzard to transfer gaming files to users. It is the quickest and easiest way to transfer large files. It also saves companies millions on bandwith. Most of the time if you download a file online it is some type of torrent file. By the way windows update is a form of using Bittorrent.

A large majority of internet usage is the transfer of legal files using Bittorrent. They shut down a legal and legit tracker. A tracker is a website that index's torrent files. Most of the illegal content trackers are private and hosted in secret locations where the US government has little to no control. They basically are telling legit trackers you might as well host overseas and host illegal ****. By the way this type of hosting is cheaper and more secure than US hosting.
    They are not solving the problem at all.

windows update is a direct download, it doesn't require the use of a third party client like utorrent or bitorrent. most software that you purchase on the internet, legally, can be directly download from the company's website, the same goes for freeware. wiki is not a credible source.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The RIAA (the music muscle) and the MPAA (movies) even say it is illegal for you to buy a CD or DVD and then put it on your own computer to use with your computer or iPod. They argue that you bought a CD or DVD and that is the only form you are entitled to use it. They want you to buy a CD if you do not like your vinyl version. Pay to electronically download it if you do not like the CD. So you may pay for the same song 3 times or if old enough maybe you had the 8 track and cassette, so you could conceivable have paid for the same song 5 times... wait, I recently had a major lightning event. I lost all my music. Time to start buying all over again.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    A large majority of internet usage is the transfer of legal files using Bittorrent. They shut down a legal and legit tracker. A tracker is a website that index's torrent files. Most of the illegal content trackers are private and hosted in secret locations where the US government has little to no control. They basically are telling legit trackers you might as well host overseas and host illegal ****. By the way this type of hosting is cheaper and more secure than US hosting.

They are not solving the problem at all.

Good post... Problem is,,,a special interest has its hand out wanting the government to protect it---the IP lobby Everybody likes government,,,when government can help it out...

Since the government can get some campaign donations and knock down free speech at the same time,,,as well as declaring war on the Internet-what it hates most of all-its happy to go after free speech by shutting down these websites...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Good post... Problem is,,,a special interest has its hand out wanting the government to protect it---the IP lobby Everybody likes government,,,when government can help it out...

Since the government can get some campaign donations and knock down free speech at the same time,,,as well as declaring war on the Internet-what it hates most of all-its happy to go after free speech by shutting down these websites...

This is the problem, as in every other walk of life, the politicians have sold out to the highest bidder. So they side with the big corporations.

Loco179

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    windows update is a direct download, it doesn't require the use of a third party client like utorrent or bitorrent. most software that you purchase on the internet, legally, can be directly download from the company's website, the same goes for freeware. wiki is not a credible source.

A program ( windows updater which is a seperate client like utorrent ) that takes a file to download from multiple location servers to find the fastest possible speed of download. Sounds like Bittorrent to me. On this instance it is a credible source because it is explaining the type of file very well. Almost every updater program is a Bittorrent client.

Direct downloads are more like a old school FTP server. Using Bittorrent a company can save company time and money because they can update and download depending on bandwith and price. It does not have to be peer to peer to be Bittorrent.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Hello,

I tried to sign in to Limewire. I cannot. There is a notice on the program that they have been court ordered to cease all activity.

Ares is still up.

I have a huge CD collection - all bought and legal. I do not need to download songs or movies.

I use it mostly for freeware and shareware. This is one of the reasons I run such high security on this computer.

I go through CNET.com for the same sort of thing, as well as sourceforge.net .

Josh

LimeWire got shut down based upon evidence they were found to be stealing.

The RIAA (the music muscle) and the MPAA (movies) even say it is illegal for you to buy a CD or DVD and then put it on your own computer to use with your computer or iPod. They argue that you bought a CD or DVD and that is the only form you are entitled to use it. They want you to buy a CD if you do not like your vinyl version. Pay to electronically download it if you do not like the CD. So you may pay for the same song 3 times or if old enough maybe you had the 8 track and cassette, so you could conceivable have paid for the same song 5 times... wait, I recently had a major lightning event. I lost all my music. Time to start buying all over again.

The RIAA and MPAA are wrong. They know they're wrong. SCOTUS has carved out an exception for you to have backups of your own music and movies and be able to transfer them from place to place and use as long as it is you doing the using and that it isn't being used on two devices at the same time. But you can't give them to someone else. That's called stealing.

RIAA and MPAA exist to maximize revenue for the members of their organizations. Granted they sometimes do that through draconian and extralegal means, but they get their noses popped when they do. Given their mission you don't expect them to have any other position do you? Unless they get the law changed they won't prevail. That's one reason to stay in the political process.

Sometime you interpret the law differently than others. That's why we have courts.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Legitimate uses of Bittorrent
    1) All linux distributions use it to distribute their CD/DVD, some primarily, some as a secondary.
    2)Project Gutenberg uses it to distribute the freeware version of the world's great literature.
    3)Wikipedia CD version
    4)World of Warcraft patch loader
    5)Small software developers/freeware-Openoffice, NeoOffice

There are others. There are even some trackers that filter out just the legal torrents and list them.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    Semper,,,I aint going to neg rep you because you neg repped me... That aint my way,,,people are entitled to their own opinions...but I will tell you that everyone--including me--who beats you in an argument isnt a troll...and its wrong to call someone a troll just because they outargue you or hold a different opinion than you...

I gave you some positive rep the other day becuase you said something right on TSA but you usually--and rambone is right on this--side with any big government thing that comes along...

IP aint nothing but something we thought up... We could make fried chicken IP and have the government shut down everyone but KFC!!!!

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Semper,,,I aint going to neg rep you because you neg repped me... That aint my way,,,people are entitled to their own opinions...but I will tell you that everyone--including me--who beats you in an argument isnt a troll...and its wrong to call someone a troll just because they outargue you or hold a different opinion than you...

I gave you some positive rep the other day becuase you said something right on TSA but you usually--and rambone is right on this--side with any big government thing that comes along...

IP aint nothing but something we thought up... We could make fried chicken IP and have the government shut down everyone but KFC!!!!

If you don't like being called a troll then don't.

You are entitled to your opinion. It helps if you can present it in alucid and thoughtful way. You're not entitled to creat or mangle facts. When you do it to spin people up it's called trolling.

Now, you haven't shown a bit of evidence that under the law what LimeWire, Grokster, Napster, etc. were doing was not stealing. Every court, everywhere in the world disagrees. That is fact. You can kentucky fry the truth but in the end it's still the truth.

Legitimate uses of Bittorrent
    1) All linux distributions use it to distribute their CD/DVD, some primarily, some as a secondary.
    2)Project Gutenberg uses it to distribute the freeware version of the world's great literature.
    3)Wikipedia CD version
    4)World of Warcraft patch loader
    5)Small software developers/freeware-Openoffice, NeoOffice

There are others. There are even some trackers that filter out just the legal torrents and list them.

And the sites and servers that use torrent technology for something other than stealing get to continue operations. The sites and services that facilitate stealing don't.

Last edited:

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    You are entitled to your opinion. It helps if you can present it in alucid and thoughtful way. You're not entitled to creat or mangle facts. When you do it to spin people up it's called trolling.

Expats talking about bittorrent facts...Im talking about principles... You aint winning on either...

Now, you haven't shown a bit of evidence that under the law what LimeWire, Grokster, Napster, etc. were doing was not stealing.

When you make your own defintion of stealing,,,you get whatever result you want...

Every court, everywhere in the world disagrees. That is fact.

courts rule based on laws,,,not right and wrong... you write the law,,,you get the ruling you want...

Many writers much smarter than you and me take a very different view...

You can kentucky fry the truth but in the end it's still the truth.

No--its just your opinion because you want the law to keep giving you profits... No different than anyone else who feeds at the government trough...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Since some people are using usenet for posting copyright material are we going to forbid one of the earliest parts if the net? We used to have a lot of ftp sites in the old days, how about outlawing the ftp protocol? By your logic I think we could have outlawed the internet as a whole. Warez trading and ascii pr0n had to be a big percentage of bandwidth used back then.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Wow,

Expats talking about bittorrent facts...Im talking about principles... You aint winning on either...

Yes, he IS winning on principles, AND facts. Stealing IS stealing, whether or not in "principle" or by LAW.

When you make your own defintion of stealing,,,you get whatever result you want...

If you take someones work (by "sharing" it),without compensating the owner, you ARE stealing

courts rule based on laws,,,not right and wrong... you write the law,,,you get the ruling you want...

If you don't agree with a law, you need to work to CHANGE it, not simply ignoring it.

No--its just your opinion because you want the law to keep giving you profits... No different than anyone else who feeds at the government trough...

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    Most artists make vastly more money from concerts than they do from recorded music. That's why many have gone the route of giving their music away, lately. Even Prince has given his latest album away, free. The artists realise that they are making nothing substantive off of recorded music, only the labels are raking anything in. The problem is that there's been a paradigm shift and the labels can't adjust to the new digital medium. They've had to buy off politicians to pass new laws to protect the interests of the labels, while ignoring the interests of the artists. That's resulted in going after people who are literally sharing music, (just like many here did in their youth with LP's and cassettes), instead of making the necessary changes to insure a sound future. Sharing has dropped off in many areas where the market has been allowed to make adjustments, (such as Apple and Amazon's digital music stores and Steam for games). Sharing isn't going to go away anytime, soon. Just as it didn't when cassettes, VCR's, etc., hit the market. It's not the end users who are going to have to adapt and change. It's the labels and their puppets in government.

There's quite a debate going on right now about "intellectual property" and it's a rather interesting one with well thought out arguments both for and against. Take a look at it and let it percolate. Both sides have decent arguments.

Prince is free to give away the songs on his albums/CDs since he wrote the songs and owns them. However, don't confuse artists with songwriters. Most artists don't write the songs they perform and do not own the copyrights to them; the songwriters and publishers do. Sometimes the artist will co-write a song, but that doesn't give them 100% ownership.

My concern is not for the big record labels or artists/performers. I agree they are going to have to adapt to the digital revolution and many have. My concern is for the songwriters who are entitled to the fruits of their labor but have their income stolen when people pirate copies of their songs.

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I have no idea why anyone would even consider paying for music, programs, movies.....They are free on the internet. The law is wrong. If there is no physical transaction, it is not theft. Can one steal a sunset or it's picture, the sounds of birds chirping, even if recorded? No one will ever agree, but I for one can turn on my pc and find these things in my house, right there on the screen!!!!! If they don't want them there, they should keep them out of my house. If I had a satellite dish and could receive the signal and somehow decode it and watch it, it is mine. Don't send the signal to my backyard if you don't want me to have it.
    amenw.gif

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I have no idea why anyone would even consider paying for music, programs, movies.....They are free on the internet. The law is wrong. If there is no physical transaction, it is not theft. Can one steal a sunset or it's picture, the sounds of birds chirping, even if recorded? No one will ever agree, but I for one can turn on my pc and find these things in my house, right there on the screen!!!!! If they don't want them there, they should keep them out of my house. If I had a satellite dish and could receive the signal and somehow decode it and watch it, it is mine. Don't send the signal to my backyard if you don't want me to have it.
    amenw.gif

Boy, that sounds like the rantings of a thief, and how he justifies his actions. Why don't you add: "Don't let your daughter near me if you don't want me to rape her"?

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    amenw.gif
    what a lot of you fail to realize is that these sites also sell advertising based on the traffic they receive for "sharing". in fact, buy selling advertising, they are turning a profit off of someone else's work.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

How's this for principle. Don't steal. Everything else you said is crap. Absolute crap.

Since some people are using usenet for posting copyright material are we going to forbid one of the earliest parts if the net? We used to have a lot of ftp sites in the old days, how about outlawing the ftp protocol? By your logic I think we could have outlawed the internet as a whole. Warez trading and ascii pr0n had to be a big percentage of bandwidth used back then.

You're throwing up red herrings Expat. You don't have to stop the traffic to a specific port number via a predefined protocol. You have to stop the people who use it nefariously. That includes websites with a primary purpose of faciliting theft, those who enable the theft, and those who steal.

It goes back to the principle. Don't steal.

Top Bottom