• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I think it's time you go sit in the corner with your brother's smoking357 and machete. See ya.

InternetToughGuy.jpg

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nice job associating pedo's with pirates!

You're the stuff class is made of!

Intellectual property law is big business in itself. There wouldn't even be ASCAP and BMI if it weren't for a few wiley power brokers back in the day.
    It's settled law (for now). But it's imperfect, too.

You can rent movies, games, and even check out books and music from a library for free. The creator gets nothing for this. Blockbuster might pay a few cents for every rental to a distribution company. Games are probably similar.

The guy creating the thing is neither hurt nor compensated for the use.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I have some questions for all of you who are on your moral high-horse regarding piracy.

Basically what I'm hearing from you is that you're only morally allowed to enjoy intellectual property if you have personally paid the creator for it.

So let's say I purchase a DVD. Can I watch it with a friend? That friend didn't pay for it, so that's immoral right?

Keep in mind that I'm asking whether it's right or wrong MORALLY, not LEGALLY. There is a huge difference.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers

Intellectual property law is big business in itself. There wouldn't even be ASCAP and BMI if it weren't for a few wiley power brokers back in the day.

You can rent movies, games, and even check out books and music from a library for free. The creator gets nothing for this. Blockbuster might pay a few cents for every rental to a distribution company. Games are probably similar.

what, did i strike a nerve with you? is that why you think i have no class? or is it because i think it is wrong to steal? your example of renting movies make my point, they enter into an agreement with the movie companies to pay a percentage every time the movie or game is rented. the p2p sites do not

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

I think what he's saying is a crime is a crime.

You can't steal. It's against the law. It's been against the law before the law existed. Why it's the law is irrelevent.

Blockbuster and other rental companies pay royalties for the right to license a video or game to you for a period of time. The copyright owners absolutely are compensated. If you steal you aren't compenstating the copyright holder. Therefore he is hurt.

I have some questions for all of you who are on your moral high-horse regarding piracy.

Basically what I'm hearing from you is that you're only morally allowed to enjoy intellectual property if you have personally paid the creator for it.

So let's say I purchase a DVD. Can I watch it with a friend? That friend didn't pay for it, so that's immoral right?

Keep in mind that I'm asking whether it's right or wrong MORALLY, not LEGALLY. There is a huge difference.

Videos, music, games, software, etc. are licensed, not sold. Read the license that accompanies your video. You'll see that it permits in-home non-commercial viewing of the video. You can let anyone view it. You can lend the DVD out. That's OK.

You can't make a copy of the DVD for someone. You can't charge admission to view a video. You can't put it on the Internet and let someone download the contents. Those are all stealing.

Last edited:

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers

i think point has been missed by many on this discussion, of course you can watch the movie with whom ever you choose. what you cant do is make millions copies of it for distribution

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    i think point has been missed by many on this discussion, of course you can watch the movie with whom ever you choose. what you cant do is make millions copies of it for distribution

So if my actions only result in one person seeing the movie without paying for it that's ok? So you're saying morality is a matter of quantity, not quality?

What if I make my friend a copy to watch on his own? In the end, it still means he watches it without paying for it. Is that stealing?

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm not into stealing either.

When you put pederasts and pirates of any kind, or anyone else that you disagree with, it does indicate what kind of person you are.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    I'm not into stealing either.

When you put pederasts and pirates of any kind, or anyone else that you disagree with, it does indicate what kind of person you are.
    what? WTF, i didn't judge anyone here on any of my post's, i simple stated that a crime is a crime regardless of the medium.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    So if my actions only result in one person seeing the movie without paying for it that's ok? So you're saying morality is a matter of quantity, not quality?

What if I make my friend a copy to watch on his own? In the end, it still means he watches it without paying for it. Is that stealing?
    it says on the disk that it is against the law to copy it, like it or not it is the law

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    it says on the disk that it is against the law to copy it, like it or not it is the law

I specifically said I'm asking if it is MORALLY wrong, not LEGALLY wrong. I even capitalized it for you.

I know it's easier to jump right back to the legal issue because you have absolutely no logic to base this on morally.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I specifically said I'm asking if it is MORALLY wrong, not LEGALLY wrong. I even capitalized it for you.

I know it's easier to jump right back to the legal issue because you have absolutely no logic to base this on morally.

What would be morally wrong is if you violated the tems and conditions of the license. Don't violate = OK. Violate = stealing.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers

your moral issue is between you and your maker, it's not for me to decide for you.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers

where exactly is the flaw in my logic? a law is a law, stealing is stealing

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    What would be morally wrong is if you violated the tems and conditions of the license. Don't violate = OK. Violate = stealing.

your moral issue is between you and your maker, it's not for me to decide for you.

So if the government didn't say it was illegal, you would be ok with it? This is completely a legal issue?

Then just simply say "I do not personally believe it is immoral to copy and distribute intellectual property."

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    So if the government didn't say it was illegal, you would be ok with it? This is completely a legal issue?

Then just simply say "I do not personally believe it is immoral to copy and distribute intellectual property."

Wrong, because ice cream doesn't have bones.

I'll try one more time.

What would be morally wrong is if you violated the tems and conditions of the license. Don't violate = OK. Violate = stealing. License terms are between you and the company you license the material from. Laws exist allowing the intellectual property owner to bring a cause of action against thiefs, and to shut down enterprises engaged in stealing.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers

my morals have nothing to due with you, therefore it is not my place to impose them on you. if you choose to ignore the law that is your choice.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    It's almost comical how you self-righteous folks are completely circling and avoiding a question that you know will destroy your entire argument.

Top Bottom