Insulted by Pendleton, IN Chief of Police...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XDs4me

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If you can organise a breakfast or a lunch with a group of people who are willing to OC in HIS town I would do that.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    One more thing, I know this will not fly, but contact the Indiana CLU. They also need to get their lazy butts in gear and start looking at ALL CLs, not just liberal ones.

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    After reading several of these types of threads, I think my response would be "Thank you for pointing it out, but I prefer to carry it this way." If he arrests you, you have a case against him. If he walks away, then it is just like when they tell you to put out your cigarette, or roll your window down all the way, or so many other things they ACT like they have the right to do but don't.

This said, I have yet to have any sort of negative encounter with a police officer in Indiana. They have all been just as respectful as I have been with them.:twocents:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Contact City Council members as suggested. Show up at City Council meetings. Mayor? Is there one in Pendleton?

Heck, get froggy and call the State Police. The carry (OC AND CC) is a permitted provided by them. Ask them for letters and/or to please contact the offensive Chief.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    To OP: In hindsight, I'd say you should have gone to another officer and reported the guy for making up his own rules. If he's not following the law, then he shouldn't be a cop until he learns he isn't a dictator. Might wanna call him to apologize for speaking the way you did, yes he needs to do the same, but it will look better if you do it first. Go on to tell him to check with ISP and if he acted against what they say the law is he needs to apologize to you for that as well.

To Agent007: You responded about not hearing about anyone not covering up when an officer told them to. I did - https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...hammond_police_i_just_told_off_the_chief.html - would've done the same thing if he was in uniform.

When we bow down to people making up their own rules out of their opinions, we lose what little freedoms we have left.

Dracconix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Sorry guys... sleep > internet...

To clear a few things up...

#1 - I was completely sober... when I said lit I meant pissed.
    #2 - Yes, the entire conversation was within earshot of my wife & daughter.
    #3 - I felt 100% sure of the law, I just did not want to challenge a LEO in a very populated public place. As I stated in my post, and told him, had he simply asked me to cover it I would have complied. It was telling me that I was carrying illegal that set me off. As far as going looking for him, I just figured him being the Chief, he should know the law. :D

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Sorry guys... sleep > internet...

To clear a few things up...

#1 - I was completely sober... when I said lit I meant pissed.
    #2 - Yes, the entire conversation was within earshot of my wife & daughter.
    #3 - I felt 100% sure of the law, I just did not want to challenge a LEO in a very populated public place. As I stated in my post, and told him, had he simply asked me to cover it I would have complied. It was telling me that I was carrying illegal that set me off. As far as going looking for him, I just figured him being the Chief, he should know the law. :D

If you are going to challenge a LEO, a very populated, public place is where to do it. When you are dealing with a cop that has already shown he has no respect for the law, do you really want to do it with no witnesses?

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I would be more offended if I witnessed you two having this conversation in front of your kids.

Why would YOU be offended? They're not your kids. Who are we to judge who has what conversation with who in front of who?

I don't necessarily mean this towards you, Sailor, but everyone knows how to raise other people's kids better than they do. The fact is unless you see a child getting neglected or beaten, it's really none of anyone's business how someone else raises their children.

His kids, I'm sure, challenge his authority; but they're going to lose everytime - as the parents really DO have authority.

What's wrong with his kids witnessing HIS challenge of "authority" when he is in the right?

Just my :twocents:

Dracconix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    If you are going to challenge a LEO, a very populated, public place is where to do it. When you are dealing with a cop that has already shown he has no respect for the law, do you really want to do it with no witnesses?

I agree I guess it was more the large amount of kids in the area.

I have also heard of their being local laws that say you can only carry open / concealed and being that I was in the town of Pendleton I didn't feel it necessary to keep pushing the envelope.

I do feel informed enough now to question the officer next time this occurs.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    To the OP , when he said you were on "his property" , was he being rude or does he actually own or rent that piece of land .

I don't know if it makes a difference or not but it might .

I'd hate to find out after writing letters , talking with new papers and organizing an OC lunch , that I was wrong .

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    While I certainly have no distaste for freedom and am no way ashamed of my guns, I do error on the side of caution. The fewer people that know I have a gun on my person the better (in my opinion). How you (joe) came to your conclusions and statements has me scratching my head. Why would you feel the need to attack me for a simple observation, I am guessing your a beligerant ass.

In Indiana we can carry open legally or concealed. So you not liking "seeing guns" does not really matter at this point. I for one cannot believe that you have a pro 2A avatar with a citizen holding a gun yet say in a post: "I would not want to see guns". Wow that makes a whole lot of sense?:rolleyes:

I don't think any one is attacking you here but obviously you are on the attack by calling people names.

I don't openly carry but I applaud those that do and I have an appreciation and respect for it.

Dracconix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    To the OP , when he said you were on "his property" , was he being rude or does he actually own or rent that piece of land .

I don't know if it makes a difference or not but it might .

I'd hate to find out after writing letters , talking with new papers and organizing an OC lunch , that I was wrong .

He was being a D*CK... the fair is held at Falls Park a public park in Pendleton.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    He was being a D*CK... the fair is held at Falls Park a public park in Pendleton.

Then I'd say calling this guy or meeting him is a BAD IDEA , more personal interaction with him wont do you any good .

Letters to town council and newspapers might be the way to go . You might check to see if there's a local ordnance against OC'ing first .

Then you could type a letter citing what the state law and ISP say about OC'ing and point out the chief's ignorance of the law . If they get published they might embarrass him and the town .

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    I realize this will not be a popular opinion, but I agree with the cop. Just because you can do something does not mean you should. Carry all the guns you want, but why do they need to be seen. It just seems that some people do this to get attention. I know I would not want to see guns on every hip and the fair.

It is not my guns that you see you should worry about, but the ones you don't see!:rockwoot::rockwoot:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Why would YOU be offended? They're not your kids. Who are we to judge who has what conversation with who in front of who?

I don't necessarily mean this towards you, Sailor, but everyone knows how to raise other people's kids better than they do. The fact is unless you see a child getting neglected or beaten, it's really none of anyone's business how someone else raises their children.

His kids, I'm sure, challenge his authority; but they're going to lose everytime - as the parents really DO have authority.

What's wrong with his kids witnessing HIS challenge of "authority" when he is in the right?

Just my :twocents:

My am only offended by the use of language around the children. ****, and Dick. We dont use those word around our children or tolerate others using them. My opinion is move the conversation away from children if you are going to talk like this. Thats all.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Of all the OC chest-thumpers on this board, I've yet to see anyone post a story about how a cop told them to cover up, and they refused to do so. I see a lot of anonymous ranting on a message board. Lots of good that will do. When someone tells the cop "no thanks" when told to cover their pistol, and walks off, then I'll be impressed with your committment to your rights. Otherwise, it's all just pissing in the wind.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n_columbus.html?highlight=columbus+open+carry

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Don't cop out. He replied in a manner you were asking to see, regardless of if he was or was not a cop. Give him some credit. :)

Top Bottom