• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I only read for the attacker to throw out "snowflake" comments. I find it comical.

Me too...Kirk has one of the best senses of humor on INGO.....I realize some don't get it.....

I have gotten countless PM's that start with "I know he's your friend but...."

"Never met him...Wouldn't know him from Adam..."

"Why do you defend or condone his jabs..."

"They're funny...He's nearly got my accent down pat when it comes to my "reey-ats..."

"But his posts just stick in my craw...."

"Exactly"

"Wait...What???"

"Exactly....You WANT what Kirk says to stick in your "craw".....He freely offers safety lessons and his legal knowledge to INGO KNOWING not only will he not be appreciated for it, but he will be mocked for doing so....That makes him a man of conviction and character in my book...."

"Really?"

"Really....That's how I feel....He gave me confidence me on three interviews with local TV stations and never even wanted a thank you for the help he freely gave..Why???? Because we are "friends"???? Because we are both Kentucky Colonels, dashingly handsome and chick's dig us??? No....Because I am a fellow Hoosier gun owner that asked for his help.....

He could call me a ****** ******* ********** and I would just laugh and say "true that"....Not because he's a "nice guy" but because he freely offers his knowledge and skill pro bono to INGO...

IMHO....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Me too...Kirk has one of the best senses of humor on INGO.....I realize some don't get it.....

I have gotten countless PM's that start with "I know he's your friend but...."

"Never met him...Wouldn't know him from Adam..."

"Why do you defend or condone his jabs..."

"They're funny...He's nearly got my accent down pat when it comes to my "reey-ats..."

"But his posts just stick in my craw...."

"Exactly"

"Wait...What???"

"Exactly....You WANT what Kirk says to stick in your "craw".....He freely offers safety lessons and his legal knowledge to INGO KNOWING not only will he not be appreciated for it, but he will be mocked for doing so....That makes him a man of conviction and character in my book...."

"Really?"

"Really....That's how I feel....He gave me confidence me on three interviews with local TV stations and never even wanted a thank you for the help he freely gave..Why???? Because we are "friends"???? Because we are both Kentucky Colonels, dashingly handsome and chick's dig us??? No....Because I am a fellow Hoosier gun owner that asked for his help.....

He could call me a ****** ******* ********** and I would just laugh and say "true that"....Not because he's a "nice guy" but because he freely offers his knowledge and skill pro bono to INGO...

IMHO....

Bingo.

Look past being offended and find the message. There really is one there.
    Maybe the delivery is rough but you and I all know we always open his threads. Always.

When I 1st started paying attention to his posts I to was a bit set back but after a while I saw through the jabs.
    Then it turns out I had met him on multiple occasions back in the day.

Yes, he is a Lawyer. But that only means to me that he is a lawyer. Having needed a few in my day I appreciate the efforts of a good one.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Why wouldn't that guy at lease verify that the gun wasn't loaded? That's the very first thing I do when handed a gun, no matter who handed it to me.

I wonder if it hurt when the Doc removed the pins in the last picture.

I've had people indignantly tell me "I've already cleared that weapon" after having handed it to me and see me clear it for myself! I usually just act like I didn't see them do it rather than the inevitable unwinnable argument.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've had people indignantly tell me "I've already cleared that weapon" after having handed it to me and see me clear it for myself! I usually just act like I didn't see them do it rather than the inevitable unwinnable argument.

I'm actually relieved when someone clears a gun handed to them right after they watched me clear it. When I fondle a gun in a gun shop, the first thing I do after the sales person clears it and hands it to me is to verify that it's unloaded again. Sometimes when I hand it back, the sales person checks again . . . which is a good practice.

It's like reading the label on medication twice (preferably three times) because you administer the dose.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have always backed Kirk on his safety message. Even when some supposed loud voices and their organizations argue against standard firearms safety rules.

The recent trend to insult all INGOers with direct insults and innuendo, I cannot abide. Using INGO as a derogatory term is NOT humor. I apologize if pointing this out ruffles feathers.

I guess I'm a snowflake, a mouth breathing snowflake with a beard and hillbilly accent.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have always backed Kirk on his safety message. Even when some supposed loud voices and their organizations argue against standard firearms safety rules.

The recent trend to insult all INGOers with direct insults and innuendo, I cannot abide. Using INGO as a derogatory term is NOT humor. I apologize if pointing this out ruffles feathers.

I guess I'm a snowflake, a mouth breathing snowflake with a beard and hillbilly accent.

You have a beard?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

Now that we have taken a big detour across country, let us return home. The original post said that an INGOer was teaching a safety lesson to us. How is that derogatory or insulting? That being said, just because someone has the rudimentary computer skills to become a member of INGO in no way says anything about their skill with or ability to safely handle and store firearms. As I said before, even those of us who have been handling firearms regularly for decades can use a "tune up" on safety...the more frequent, the better IMHO.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Now that we have taken a big detour across country, let us return home. The original post said that an INGOer was teaching a safety lesson to us. How is that derogatory or insulting? That being said, just because someone has the rudimentary computer skills to become a member of INGO in no way says anything about their skill with or ability to safely handle and store firearms. As I said before, even those of us who have been handling firearms regularly for decades can use a "tune up" on safety...the more frequent, the better IMHO.

True and I will add as mostly an observer of this sideways thread. A lot of people while Master Jedi's in their own mind on about everything (and guns seem to be particular prone to this "I got this" mentality) a lot of the same ones that show signs of being offended by a safe reminder are the same ones that get the seat belt ticket or DUI after the various commercials, billboards, clicket or ticket or how many other aquanances get himmed up.

So not sure how you address that mindset other than a I told you so or comical memes when one has an incident.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm actually relieved when someone clears a gun handed to them right after they watched me clear it. When I fondle a gun in a gun shop, the first thing I do after the sales person clears it and hands it to me is to verify that it's unloaded again. Sometimes when I hand it back, the sales person checks again . . . which is a good practice.

It's like reading the label on medication twice (preferably three times) because you administer the dose.

Yep
    It's deeply ingrained from all the occasions when I stood roving security patrol, with the outgoing watch clearing and locking back the slide on the 1911, verifying that it was clear, then immediately handing the 1911 with the slide still locked back to the oncoming watch, who repeated the process before easing the slide forward.
    Don't make fun, but we were required to carry in Condition Three, save for some occasions when we were in ports where there was a possible threat, e.g. in Panama days before Manuel Noriega's forcible ouster, or when we were in Peru when Shining Path was running rampant there.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So civilians don't re clear a firearm ?
    I have only attended one session of civilian training it was a Revere Riders event it was very professional and safe.
    I thought that was standard SOP to re clear a weapon if it was handed over to you ?

Oh by the way a borelight will travel 17 meters when shot out of an M4!
    Did you know a M249 will fire if dropped from a height of 3 meters and lands on the muzzle.
    If you are clearing a hot M60 machine gun that you think has a spent case stuck in the chamber let it sit a few minutes before you stick a cleaning rod down the barrel or it might blow half your hand off.
    I have many more! Check and recheck

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    So civilians don't re clear a firearm ?
    I have only attended one session of civilian training it was a Revere Riders event it was very professional and safe.
    I thought that was standard SOP to re clear a weapon if it was handed over to you ?

Oh by the way a borelight will travel 17 meters when shot out of an M4!
    Did you know a M249 will fire if dropped from a height of 3 meters and lands on the muzzle.
    If you are clearing a hot M60 machine gun that you think has a spent case stuck in the chamber let it sit a few minutes before you stick a cleaning rod down the barrel or it might blow half your hand off.
    I have many more! Check and recheck
    When you say you clear a "weapon" that is handed to you, what exactly is the process you use?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So let's say I need to take custody of your weapon for some reason.
    You would point it in a safe direction drop the magazine eject the live round Visually check the chamber in low light check with light if situation allows it if not physically check it.
    I would take the weapon recheck the chamber while still pointed in a safe direction ensuring the safety is engaged close the slide/bolt.
    Once I take physical possession it is my responsibility.
    A "weapon" is defined by being operated by one person M9,M4,M249,Shotgun .ect
    A "Gun" is a crew served weapon M2,M240 .ect

If you hand me a Weapon without clearing it I would ask you to clear it.
    It would also be a big indication of your competence level.

Don't get me started on the whole "clearing barrel" thing I hate them!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    So let's say I need to take custody of your weapon for some reason.
    You would point it in a safe direction drop the magazine eject the live round Visually check the chamber in low light check with light if situation allows it if not physically check it.
    I would take the weapon recheck the chamber while still pointed in a safe direction ensuring the safety is engaged close the slide/bolt.
    Once I take physical possession it is my responsibility.
    A "weapon" is defined by being operated by one person M9,M4,M249,Shotgun .ect
    A "Gun" is a crew served weapon M2,M240 .ect

If you hand me a Weapon without clearing it I would ask you to clear it.
    It would also be a big indication of your competence level.

Don't get me started on the whole "clearing barrel" thing I hate them!
    Good job! You must be active duty. For us civilians the terminology differs. Of course we don't often shoot crew served weapons. :)

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I am retired now I have to pay for ammo and training!

I am accustomed to you paying for my ammo and training!

Crew served weapons are not that much fun to fire!

I am lying it's a blast!

It a work of art to watch a "M240 Gun Team" tear up a hillside at 800 to 1000 meters.
    You would be amazed at the accuracy at that range.

The M2 is very accurate basically if you can see and ID the target at about 1,800 meters you can kill it.

BTW Thank You for supporting me for 24 years I still think of you every month when my pension check comes in!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I am retired now I have to pay for ammo and training!

I am accustomed to you paying for my ammo and training!

Crew served weapons are not that much fun to fire!

I am lying it's a blast!

It a work of art to watch a "M240 Gun Team" tear up a hillside at 800 to 1000 meters.
    You would be amazed at the accuracy at that range.

The M2 is very accurate basically if you can see and ID the target at about 1,800 meters you can kill it.

BTW Thank You for supporting me for 24 years I still think of you every month when my pension check comes in!
    Back at ya, cause you ain't the only one!

Top Bottom