• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Cry about 'gouging' all day long, but I see no complaints when someone gets an outstanding deal.

That's funny you should say that...I had a guy come in the shop with an Inglis Browning WW2 Hi power...Another shop had recommended he come here because I like those kind of historical guns...He told me he had picked it up from a widow for about $50 a couple of weeks ago and asked what I would give him for it. I had just sold a Nazi marked Hi Power for about $600 the week before so I figured I could move this for $500 without too much trouble...I told him I would feel good at $400 but better at $375. He looked at me incredously and said, "Man that's kind of a rip off..." I was kind of shocked and said "Well...You are not getting screwed as bad as the person that owned it last." It took him about 30 seconds to even get what I was saying and then he kind of hung his head down a bit when he realized what a hypocrite he was being...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Maybe...If by God I want to be ridiculed on INGO I will go to the political section and say "I think Muslim fundamentalists attacked us on 9/11" or "George W Bush was a decent President."

Now THAT will get you some ridicule...:D

I don't think that would qualify as ridicule...:laugh:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I don't turn things for profit. If I am selling something then it is because I want something else. It is extremely rare that I would sell for more than I have in it. Having said that, I find nothing wrong with free enterprise. The people selling these items did not orchestrate the chaos so, to me, they are simply providing something at the going rate. If you feel that price will fall in the future then you should wait. Sometimes I wonder about all the freedom loving people on here who seem to really get butt hurt over someone else exercising it.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    That's funny you should say that...I had a guy come in the shop with an Inglis Browning WW2 Hi power...Another shop had recommended he come here because I like those kind of historical guns...He told me he had picked it up from a widow for about $50 a couple of weeks ago and asked what I would give him for it. I had just sold a Nazi marked Hi Power for about $600 the week before so I figured I could move this for $500 without too much trouble...I told him I would feel good at $400 but better at $375. He looked at me incredously and said, "Man that's kind of a rip off..." I was kind of shocked and said "Well...You are not getting screwed as bad as the person that owned it last." It took him about 30 seconds to even get what I was saying and then he kind of hung his head down a bit when he realized what a hypocrite he was being...

Good example. Sporting rifles are, at this moment, simply not a good deal and nothing more or less. All these armchair judges should be happy that there's still a market that is legal. Leave your honor judgements at home.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My conscience seperates need from want. If you were in danger of death from starvation, I would not require your birthright, I would most likely just give you the food. At worst, I would ask you to replace it equally. If were were fighting for our lives shoulder to shoulder, I would share whatever weapons and ammo so that we could both live. That is under "need" in my book.

"Want" has different standards. If I wanted to spend $1000 of my money for a want that you would not personally pay over $500 to purchase, would that make the seller a bad guy?

I was given a couple of junky old firearms by a widow that wanted them out of her house before she moved to an apartment. I later sold them for market value and applied the money to something I wanted. Does that make me a bad guy?

I figure if the price is too high, no one will want to buy it. If someone buys it, they wanted to own it and the price was ok with them.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I was at a trap shoot where a man was bragging about how cheap he bought some fireams from a widow that didn't know better. Because of the way he was bragging, you knew he took advantage of someone who was weak, it was not a willing negotiation. Within an hour the guy collapsed on the line with a heart attack. He was rushed to the hospital and lived, but it shook everyone up. In conversation at the clubhouse the next week, it was brought up that God looks out for widows and orphans. Everyone pretty much agreed that mistreating the old woman was a bad thing I cannot say if that was the cause of his heart attack, but not taking advantage of the weak is a good way to live.

I do not think any buyers or sellers here are weak widows and orphans, but willing participants.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I like watching Gunbroker because the stupid is out in serious force. I've seen some auctions that started with low starting bids that got out of control quickly. I don't see a problem with someone posting something and letting idiots try to outbid each other but people trying to get similar prices on smaller gun boards is just ridiculous.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I was at a trap shoot where a man was bragging about how cheap he bought some fireams from a widow that didn't know better. Because of the way he was bragging, you knew he took advantage of someone who was weak, it was not a willing negotiation. Within an hour the guy collapsed on the line with a heart attack. He was rushed to the hospital and lived, but it shook everyone up. In conversation at the clubhouse the next week, it was brought up that God looks out for widows and orphans. Everyone pretty much agreed that mistreating the old woman was a bad thing I cannot say if that was the cause of his heart attack, but not taking advantage of the weak is a good way to live.

I do not think any buyers or sellers here are weak widows and orphans, but willing participants.

I agree, Karma can be a real Pitch :D

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    As I take stock of the current price craziness seen on GB and in the media, what I haven't witnessed is any explicit gouging on the INGO WTS boards for long guns (not many ARs listed). I'm wondering whether this is because INGO members are 'keepers' (not traders), or have an expectation that prices will continue to rise so don't sell now. I like to think that perhaps our community doesn't want to exploit other members...

Your thoughts?

Really...apparently you havent been looking much...the 50 post AR and Pmag hounds were out in full force a few days ago...:D from what I saw...

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy

So, did the poor widow finally get reimbursement for the true value of the firearms? Or was she informed that she was ripped off and then delighted in the man's heart attack? I'm not really seeing how she was being "looked out for," unless she got her money back.

.458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    I think the prices are amusing. I'm typically a keeper but the uncertainty is bothering me a bit. I guess everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. But I don't see a point in gouging my neighbor.

Scratcher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    In a house

Matthew 20: 1-16
    The Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard

20 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire workers for his vineyard. 2 He agreed to pay them a denarius[a] for the day and sent them into his vineyard.
    3 “About nine in the morning he went out and saw others standing in the marketplace doing nothing. 4 He told them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right.’ 5 So they went.
    “He went out again about noon and about three in the afternoon and did the same thing. 6 About five in the afternoon he went out and found still others standing around. He asked them, ‘Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?’
    7 “‘Because no one has hired us,’ they answered.
    “He said to them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard.’
    8 “When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, ‘Call the workers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last ones hired and going on to the first.’
    9 “The workers who were hired about five in the afternoon came and each received a denarius. 10 So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. 11 When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. 12 ‘These who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.’
    13 “But he answered one of them, ‘I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didn’t you agree to work for a denarius? 14 Take your pay and go. I want to give the one who was hired last the same as I gave you. 15 Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?’
    16 “So the last will be first, and the first will be last.”
    Matthew 20:1-16 NIV - The Parable of the Workers in the - Bible Gateway

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Really...apparently you havent been looking much...the 50 post AR and Pmag hounds were out in full force a few days ago...:D from what I saw...

There are still quite a few pro-traders:rolleyes: operating. Some of the most interesting are those who will not list a price, choosing to only list as WTT. They often avoid a written price for whatever reason?

I'm sure I'm just naive, but I always looked at us all as friends. (Pollyanna, rainbows, unicorns?) I'd like to think all of my deals in the classified have benefited both parties. Then again I came here for knowledge as opposed to looking for an ebay or Craig's list for guns.

I like the fact that this site is predominantly a discussion board. It gives myself and others the opportunity to express opinion. Even those who might disagree:
    ... Sometimes I wonder about all the freedom loving people on here who seem to really get butt hurt ...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    So, did the poor widow finally get reimbursement for the true value of the firearms? Or was she informed that she was ripped off and then delighted in the man's heart attack? I'm not really seeing how she was being "looked out for," unless she got her money back.

It's a concept called "Karma". It actually comes from Eastern Philosphy but has been adopted in parts of Western Culture. It doesn't involve "getting money back" which is a concept of the recent retail culture.

We have the concept (roughly) in Western/Judeo/Christian culture which is "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you", the concept being if you treat others well you in turn will be treated well by others.

If someone is an Atheist (Blessed be their Saints Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, and Charles Darwin..Amen) and believes that they themselves are the highest power that exists, i.e. they look in the mirror and think, "This is it. This is as far as evolution goes" then they will have a very difficult time understanding the concept of "someone looking out for them."

I hope this helps you understand the gist of the story. It is sometimes summed up by the phrase "Karma's a *****, ain't it?" in less philosophical circles.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    It's a concept called "Karma". It actually comes from Eastern Philosphy but has been adopted in parts of Western Culture. It doesn't involve "getting money back" which is a concept of the recent retail culture.

We have the concept (roughly) in Western/Judeo/Christian culture which is "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you", the concept being if you treat others well you in turn will be treated well by others.

If someone is an Atheist (Blessed be their Saints Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, and Charles Darwin..Amen) and believes that they themselves are the highest power that exists, i.e. they look in the mirror and think, "This is it. This is as far as evolution goes" then they will have a very difficult time understanding the concept of "someone looking out for them."

I hope this helps you understand the gist of the story. It is sometimes summed up by the phrase "Karma's a *****, ain't it?" in less philosophical circles.
    Don't waste your time with him, Rick. He probably trampled three old ladies and a baby trying to get to his computer to refute a spiritual comment.:):

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

Some of us are but the instruments of other peoples' bad karma coming back to them. To not treat them like the dogs that they are would be to deny who and what WE are, and our very reason for existing, and in the end would result in bad karma for US.

Purple? Yes? No?

Ejohnson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Dublin, IN
    I'd like an AR but I can make do with what I have now. I keep what I buy also, for the most part. I definately am not going to gouge anyone.

Top Bottom