• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunrott

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Lafayette
    Hmmmm....I think it is "loony" to think it is cool to walk around in public with long guns and then question ANY response. No one rights were violated. Doubt me then hire counsel and sue. Then when it is all said and done come back and tell us how it worked out.

We are on the same side. But I can tell you this,we are sure as heck different. If you see me anywhere off duty you will never know I am armed. If I need to take a long gun some place in public you can bet it will be cased or covered. I don't like attention. I don't need attention. And for about the fourth time if this type of stuff becomes common place I am afraid you will see new legislation making it illegal. Then people will be crying about that. As a gun owner in this state we all have it pretty darn good. Lets not ruin it with dramatics.

I am done with this thread. IMO it has gone on way to long as it is for what it is.

:yesway: :twocents:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The government always calls those that demand their rights "attention whores", like this whore:

rosa_parks.jpg

There's another interpretation that applies as well, since Rosa Parks was a committed and trained activist, and her action on the bus was planned and timed for greatest chance of success. Not a spontaneous event, as is related in the myth.

The lesson being, choose your time and place for greatest impact, with timing that might actually give you a chance to win.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    There's another interpretation that applies as well, since Rosa Parks was a committed and trained activist, and her action on the bus was planned and timed for greatest chance of success. Not a spontaneous event, as is related in the myth.

The lesson being, choose your time and place for greatest impact, with timing that might actually give you a chance to win.

Just going to post this once for anyone who might be interested....

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ussion/117004-ingo_goodwill_event_feeler.html

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Hmmmm....I think it is "loony" to think it is cool to walk around in public with long guns and then question ANY response. No one rights were violated. Doubt me then hire counsel and sue. Then when it is all said and done come back and tell us how it worked out.

No one thinks it's "Cool." Even if so, it's not "loony." This is typical rhetoric lefties use to try to make freedom-loving Americans look crazy.

So you would not question an illegal order from a cop? Oh wait. You are one. I see you think you should not be questioned.

We are on the same side. But I can tell you this,we are sure as heck different. If you see me anywhere off duty you will never know I am armed. If I need to take a long gun some place in public you can bet it will be cased or covered. I don't like attention. I don't need attention. And for about the fourth time if this type of stuff becomes common place I am afraid you will see new legislation making it illegal. Then people will be crying about that. As a gun owner in this state we all have it pretty darn good. Lets not ruin it with dramatics.

I appreciate your supposed pro 2A stance- but you and your power-hungry fellows just don't understand real freedom and can't handle it when someone disobeys your illegal order.

If you are so afraid of what others might think of you at any given moment, or that God forbid, someone might "pay attention" to you; stay home in your closet. Not everyone is wired like that, sir.

I am done with this thread. IMO it has gone on way to long as it is for what it is.

Good riddance.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis

100% correct! Emphasis added.
    Carry a long gun around the city you most certainly deserve to be detained and investigated. OC a handgun and you very well may need to show your permit. Nothing wrong with the Handgun OC or being asked to show a permit. Carry of a rifle is not exercising common sense and deserves all the attention it will get. In the end, your right will be removed. I'd get on that one.

"Common Sense is VERY uncommon."

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    You guys realize the person with the long gun (even though it was a SBR) was NOT the person detained, right? While yes, having the long gun in the group may have garnered the extra attention, it was NOT the reason for the detainment.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    Carry a long gun around the city you most certainly deserve to be detained and investigated. OC a handgun and you very well may need to show your permit. Nothing wrong with the Handgun OC or being asked to show a permit. Carry of a rifle is not exercising common sense and deserves all the attention it will get. In the end, your right will be removed. I'd get on that one.

WHAT!!!!?????

So is someone speaing on the corner about religious or politics deserve to be detained and asked to prove themsleves to the police? How about someone going to church??? Do they need to justify themselves to the police???

As I understand it guns are a right the same as all others. We don't have to prove were not a threat when we do other rights covered under the constitution.

How are guns different?

The original post got me mad but some of these other comments get me madder because I see how deep that thinking goes.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

Viewpoints like this from anti-gun gun owners nearly cost us all of our 2A rights while they compromised them away. They are even more of a danger to our freedom than unprofessional police officers with ego malfunctions. :twocents:

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    I think we need a poll on what people think about carrying long guns at oc events since that is the direction this thread is heading. I remember there was this same debate while ago when there was a video posted of people in MI

is it negative to the cause of, education , oc awareness, and positive public exposure

vs

those who think it has a positive effect on our rights

It seems that even among us a community of gun owners we are divided...

I think it would be interesting to see the results of what we think were no one would be berated for their opinion

Last edited:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I told the officer our whole point was to demonstrate that we have the RIGHT to carry openly and legally. When I said this it was obvious he was dazed and didn't care what I was saying.

He asked IM if he'd ever been shot at before... so... That's apparently relevant somehow.

I'd have either taken that as a threat, or I would have replied "no, have you ever had your nightstick shoved up your arse?" depending on how irritated I was.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    You know what they say about assuming. I was not one of the officers involved. I don't work that district or that shift, and I was asleep when all the fun was being had.

OK, I'll put you on the spot. I've met and respect you, so I'd like to hear your take on all this.

(tag - you're it)

Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    You guys realize the person with the long gun (even though it was a SBR) was NOT the person detained, right? While yes, having the long gun in the group may have garnered the extra attention, it was NOT the reason for the detainment.

Well, there's more to it. While ATFC was the one cuffed, one officer told me "I see these (pointing to my holstered handgun) every day, no big deal, but the assault rifle is another thing". SO it may have been the SBR that got their initial attention. I agree though, it was odd that Officer Highsmith only felt threatened by ATFC's holstered handgun.

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

WOW! just .... WOW!! :rolleyes: Thats the mindset we need to change in this country. no legal citizen deserves to be unjustly detained for any reason, period, no if ands of buts, and not open to your interpritation of the constitution.

BINGO!!!! the man that was detained, simply questioned the officer and the officer didnt like the fact that he was aware of his rights as a FREE AMERICAN, so the cop at that point became a thug and used intimidation and abused his power to unjustly handcuff the LEGAL citizen that was clearly not in violation of any law. how could this be anymore clear to some people? We are alowing these police to just run amuck of our laws and unjustly invoke their own agendas and retaliation against us. This is the very thing our founders died to reverse and some of you are just bending over and handing away something thats not yours to just give away. OUR FREEDOM!

I think instances like this make it clear to Americans that we DO have a problem in Indiana with our rights as gun owners not being respected (by the cops) and we need to carry MORE long guns in public until they get the point that they are in authority to enforce the law ONLY and not their own police agenda. FYI, coppers, you answer to US citizens in the form of THE LAW, and nothing else. save your bully pulpit ramblings for your closed door secret forums. not accepting that we have a SEVERE problem and a breakdown in law enforcement in this state and country is just denying fact. Now is the time to fix it while we still can find good police officers who support the constitution in its true form. they are becoming the minority. there are too many who pay the constitution token lip service and hide behind it and claim to enforce its laws while they mock and discrace it. you dont answer to captain so and so, you answer to the people.

since we FINALY got rid of feurer pat bauer in the election yesterday as speaker of the house and overwhelmingly told our elected officials that we want to get back to the principles our nation was founded on (although not as profoundly as we could have by electing libertarians), I think that now is the time to start writing the newly elected members of the Indiana house and senate and Governor Daniels to TELL them that we as citizens of Indiana want a bill introduced IMMEDIATELY that eliminates the need for ANY sort of unconstitutional permit (oh excuse me technical nazis, i mean license) to carry any type of weapon in public by law abiding citizens. WE MUST use this momentum to continue to drive our constitutional (American) agenda foreward and not let up at this most crucial time. WE MUST DEMAND from our public servants THAT OUR WISHES AS CITIZENS BE RESPECTED or they too will find themselves jobless in the next election. the time for compromise to take baby steps is OVER. now is not the time to let up and let the enemies (false patriots) of our country regroup and form their own momentum to counter attack our rights. come on guys, please write and call.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Carry of a rifle is not exercising common sense and deserves all the attention it will get.

What is and is not "common sense" is subjective. I think what is important to focus upon is that carrying a rifle is not a crime. Indeed, displaying lack of "common sense" is not a crime.

Without reasonable suspicion of a crime, there is not reason for the police involvement.

Walking down the street while being a certain race or ethnicity may not be "common sense" in the American South not so long ago, but someone had to do it so one day it would not be a big deal. If "common sense" prevailed and African-Americans stayed home and not sat in the front of buses or sat at lunch counters, would society have improved?

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    What is and is not "common sense" is subjective. I think what is important to focus upon is that carrying a rifle is not a crime. Indeed, displaying lack of "common sense" is not a crime.

Without reasonable suspicion of a crime, there is not reason for the police involvement.

Walking down the street while being a certain race or ethnicity may not be "common sense" in the American South not so long ago, but someone had to do it so one day it would not be a big deal. If "common sense" prevailed and African-Americans stayed home and not sat in the front of buses or sat at lunch counters, would society have improved?

heck, even walking down the street in certain "parts" of indy as a white man might not be common sense, but its still right. you get it Kirk, but sadly no matter how many good points you or others make on this, some will NEVER get it, and thats why we find ourselves here today. If more Americans had balls like the founders then we would have a true FREE America because the electorial process would work, but as long as people keep compromising their integrity to elect crap, then we will get what we've gotten so far.

Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    IMHO it's time we let this thread die. Most of the fellas over at Officer.com generally support their comrades, Most of INGO thinks we are wronged patriots, It is what it is and THAT'S not going to change. I was there and I think we should let it go. I'm going to.

Top Bottom