• eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Can we still tell mod jokes? :stickpoke:

:):
    You'd think some mods could take a joke, considering some of their own crass comments. Family-friendly and "G" rated, indeed. And on the Interwebs forever.

But, I will abide by the 'rules' and stick to jokes not based on color, nationality, race, religion, sex, gender, state of residence, hair color, occupation, height, weight, looks, or political ideology. I think I covered it all.

Knock, knock.
    Who's there?
    Boo.
    Boo Who?
    Stop your crying!

Hey! My 7-year-old thinks it is hilarious.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think a world where people can tell whatever jokes they want and people are well done enough that nothing bothers them, is a world which understands what's important and what's not.
    But :rules:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What do you call a bear with no teeth?

A gummy bear!

HAHAHAHAHA.

That was hillarious.

Oops. Sorry. Didn't mean to offend toothless bears.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Honestly, the gummy bear joke is PURE GOLD. Wow!
    th

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Yes, Mod jokes are still fine...
    In GPI's post, he starts with "Polacks", moves to other nationalities, heads into "religion" territory (Not the reason I spoke up)... is it really that big of a stretch to think the next step is n****r "jokes" or if not the next step, that it's that far off?

We are better than that.

I recognize well that any joke is going to have someone at the butt end of it. That's a given. There's also a line that's too far, and the trouble is that you don't know you've gone too far with someone until you've already done it.

Story time:
    One place I used to work, before INGO existed, I was not nearly so restrained in my "humor", and yeah, I told some pretty bad jokes. I don't mean bad as in not funny, I mean bad as in the subject matter. And then one day, I happened to look at the locker of one of my charge nurses, and saw her husband and children were all Black/mixed race. I thought back over the last several months, most of my comments coming back and smacking me upside the head. With a sledgehammer.

I felt terrible. She had never said a single word, but here was a coworker I respected, someone with whom I thought I worked well.. and I'd been deriding her family the whole time.

She was the epitome of professionalism. I couldn't look her in the face for a month, even though the "jokes" stopped instantly. I would like to say I was mature enough to stand up and take my lumps, but I was not. I just let the subject sit there, an elephant in the room as far as I was concerned, and said nothing. No apology. No admission that I had seen the error. I am embarrassed still that I never rectified this.

I don't have any way of fixing that now. I don't know where she's working or even where she's living today.

Maybe there are some of you who would not have cared, either in her position or in mine. Sure, they're only jokes, until they hit a little too close to home.

Maybe she or I need to HTFU. Yeah. I'm sure that's it. What I posted before, that was just an overreaction. I shouldn't enforce any rules here, just let people post whatever the hell they want to.

After all, it's your board, too, right?

Yeah, it IS your board, too, and mine as well.

I notice that there are lots of people quick to yank on my chain and gripe or poke fun at the position I took. I don't think anyone has yet gone to texkev to overrule me. Maybe you all realize what that's going to sound like and how it's going to go if you try:

"Uh yeah, Bill said we can't make Polack and Jew jokes on INGO. That's really OK for us to do, right? You'll overrule him, right?"

Let me know how that works out for you. or maybe, just maybe, realize what an indefensible position that is. We've gone 10 years without that kind of joke being needed to have a good time. Why is it different now?

Blessings,
    Bill

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    In my opinion, it sounds like you're imposing your view on risque/blue comedy on the rest of the board. Would I be wrong there?

You've made it obvious that you see yourself above those types of jokes. Excellent! But other people still find humor in good/bad/blue/tasteless jokes.

Obviously no one will go to texkev to "overrule" your opinion, but that's all it seems like here... your opinion that you want everyone else to have as well.

You're also being very confrontational about that portion, too... telling us how that'd end up (when I doubt anyone here has even considered it). I read your opinion, I disagree with it, so we all move on. I'm only responding now because you made this double-down addendum to it.

I recall you, in other threads, making concerns much like my own about the "pussification" of america, how sensitive and delicate people are, etc... but this stance seems so against that now. Is it not?

Or am I misinterpreting this, and you're just focusing on the presentation of the board to the public? If that's all, I still disagree with picking and choosing what jokes are appropriate and what aren't... but I'd have no issue abiding by that, because I assume kev would think the same way. If this is what you're aiming at, though, it feels like you're sending mixed signals.

Edit: Believe it or not, I know how to behave in certain company :) It's just that, in these threads, with these people I've been talking to for years... it feels like I'm around company that doesn't care about bad jokes.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Also, as you'll note from my involvement in the SJW thread... when it comes to harsh responses to jokes (like people being shamed, forced to apologize, or even fired)... those sorts of occurrences really get my goat. And while I know what you're saying is nothing like that... the red flags start to pop up in my mind when I see criticism of people making jokes, and the whole "slippery slope" thing hangs over it.

Just giving some context to my response.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yes, Mod jokes are still fine...
    In GPI's post, he starts with "Polacks", moves to other nationalities, heads into "religion" territory (Not the reason I spoke up)... is it really that big of a stretch to think the next step is n****r "jokes" or if not the next step, that it's that far off?

We are better than that.
    This isn't a slippery slope. The jokes G told were pretty edgy. But this isn't a binary. And it didn't start with "Polacks" it started with Belgians. And it was pretty even handed. And the point of it wasn't even the jokes themselves, at least what I got out of it.

I recognize well that any joke is going to have someone at the butt end of it. That's a given. There's also a line that's too far, and the trouble is that you don't know you've gone too far with someone until you've already done it.
    It's not a line, it's a range, and the precise placement of the point that goes too far is too diverse to pinpoint. It's so diverse that it seems like a better way of handling the collision of sensibilities, is to apply principle rather than figuring out line placements.

Story time:
    One place I used to work, before INGO existed, I was not nearly so restrained in my "humor", and yeah, I told some pretty bad jokes. I don't mean bad as in not funny, I mean bad as in the subject matter. And then one day, I happened to look at the locker of one of my charge nurses, and saw her husband and children were all Black/mixed race. I thought back over the last several months, most of my comments coming back and smacking me upside the head. With a sledgehammer.

I felt terrible. She had never said a single word, but here was a coworker I respected, someone with whom I thought I worked well.. and I'd been deriding her family the whole time.

She was the epitome of professionalism. I couldn't look her in the face for a month, even though the "jokes" stopped instantly. I would like to say I was mature enough to stand up and take my lumps, but I was not. I just let the subject sit there, an elephant in the room as far as I was concerned, and said nothing. No apology. No admission that I had seen the error. I am embarrassed still that I never rectified this.

I don't have any way of fixing that now. I don't know where she's working or even where she's living today.

Sounds like to me you told a joke that you wouldn't have told if you knew the butt of the joke was present.

Maybe there are some of you who would not have cared, either in her position or in mine. Sure, they're only jokes, until they hit a little too close to home.

Maybe she or I need to HTFU. Yeah. I'm sure that's it. What I posted before, that was just an overreaction. I shouldn't enforce any rules here, just let people post whatever the hell they want to.

Bill, c'mon, man. Me saying that I don't agree on the standards for jokes isn't the same thing as saying you shouldn't enforce any rules. I do think that what you posted before was an overreaction. That's just my opinion. It's not my site. It's texkev's site. He's delegated that call to you. And I can accept it, but I think I get to say my peace about it. That's not against the rules. I'm not being disrespectful or crass.

After all, it's your board, too, right?

Yeah, it IS your board, too, and mine as well.

Again. C'mon man. This isn't like that at all. At least not from my perspective. The way I see it, you told off-color jokes that were probably inappropriate, you got caught with it, and you felt bad about it. And I think that's influencing you to at least a little more than it should. It has appropriately make you consider the audience, but it seems it's more than that too. Anyway, no. I don't feel like it's my board at all. It's texkev's, and it's yours to the extent that he has delegated some authorities to you. How you spend that authority is between you and him. I'm just spilling words on the keyboard here.

I notice that there are lots of people quick to yank on my chain and gripe or poke fun at the position I took. I don't think anyone has yet gone to texkev to overrule me. Maybe you all realize what that's going to sound like and how it's going to go if you try:

"Uh yeah, Bill said we can't make Polack and Jew jokes on INGO. That's really OK for us to do, right? You'll overrule him, right?"

Let me know how that works out for you. or maybe, just maybe, realize what an indefensible position that is. We've gone 10 years without that kind of joke being needed to have a good time. Why is it different now?

Blessings,
    Bill

I don't think I'm yanking on your chain. I'm not poking fun at the position. But I posted some stuff that has some meaning behind it. I think a world where people respect and care for each other enough that they can joke and take jokes is better than a world where people are too afraid to offend everyone.

And, I think this deserves just one more "c'mon man". You seriously straw-manning? The indefensible position hasn't been expressed by anyone which I'm aware of. No one--well, okay, no one serious and sane--is going to make that plea to texkev.

And again, about what kinds of jokes are needed, the several jokes in that post were not expressed, at least to my understanding of what was being said, to have a good time. It was more of a political point in my reading.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I need to chew on these responses a little bit before I answer. You've both made valid points. For now, I'm going to leave my response at, "Let me think about that some."

And no, I didn't tell *a* joke I wouldn't have if I'd known the butt of it was present. *A* joke would have been bad enough. I told months of them. THAT is why I was and am embarrassed at my past actions.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom