• ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Can't believe I never saw this thread. I started running about 4 months ago. Back then a mile was pretty tough. But now doing 5-6 miles most days.

anyone here have any experience with the GPS watches that track distance and routes? I'm looking for one with a display that shows current distance ran without having to pair it with anything else. TomTom and Garmin both have good ones. Anybody use something similar?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Can't believe I never saw this thread. I started running about 4 months ago. Back then a mile was pretty tough. But now doing 5-6 miles most days.

anyone here have any experience with the GPS watches that track distance and routes? I'm looking for one with a display that shows current distance ran without having to pair it with anything else. TomTom and Garmin both have good ones. Anybody use something similar?

Got a cell phone with GPS. Might try some apps. I use map my run on an iPhone but I think the distance is off.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Got a cell phone with GPS. Might try some apps. I use map my run on an iPhone but I think the distance is off.

I don't want something in a pocket or that big. I'd rather have something on my wrist that will be secure while running.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Cardio equipment; treadmill, elliptical, etc...and then the lap pool. I may do some of the free classes they have there as well.

Laps, that is what I would like to do. The Y where I live (which is the closest for me to go for a gym) does not have a lap pool. They are going to build another Y downtown and the most asked for item is a lap pool.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Laps, that is what I would like to do. The Y where I live (which is the closest for me to go for a gym) does not have a lap pool. They are going to build another Y downtown and the most asked for item is a lap pool.

It's not a full olympic size pool, but it's big enough for me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

If you are going to swim, I highly suggest looking into a Master'swim program. I was a competitive swimmer in school and when I started up serious swimming again for triathlons, I swam for a couple years doing laps at the Y. Then I sucked it up, paid the fee and got to the pool at 5:30 am for the Master's program.

In 6 months, I got my lap times almost to my high school times( I was 50 at the time) and got 3rd in my AG at a 2.4 open water swim and even beat some of the pros out of the water at my Ironman.

I am not saying this to brag at all, I am just trying to illustrate how well a Master's program works. Plus, it goes so fast when you are in the water that the workouts never get boring and seem to be over before you know it.

I see no downside with the exception maybe of the fees and whether they have practice at a time that you can make it. Indy has great programs.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you are going to swim, I highly suggest looking into a Master'swim program. I was a competitive swimmer in school and when I started up serious swimming again for triathlons, I swam for a couple years doing laps at the Y. Then I sucked it up, paid the fee and got to the pool at 5:30 am for the Master's program.

In 6 months, I got my lap times almost to my high school times( I was 50 at the time) and got 3rd in my AG at a 2.4 open water swim and even beat some of the pros out of the water at my Ironman.

I am not saying this to brag at all, I am just trying to illustrate how well a Master's program works. Plus, it goes so fast when you are in the water that the workouts never get boring and seem to be over before you know it.

I see no downside with the exception maybe of the fees and whether they have practice at a time that you can make it. Indy has great programs.

I just think it is great exercise but I would probably not join a program. I taught my daughter how to swim before she went into the Marines and she was swimming laps after 3 lessons. She had not swam before.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI

I use a Garmin Forerunner 110 Amazon.com: Garmin Forerunner 110 GPS-Enabled Unisex Sport Watch (Black): GPS & Navigation

I've had it just over a year and it's great. On the top it shows total distance, the middle is time, bottom line shows pace. Great battery life and it Can also be used for cycling. The best part is that it looks and feels like a normal watch.

Any specific questions? I'd be happy to answer.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I just think it is great exercise but I would probably not join a program. I taught my daughter how to swim before she went into the Marines and she was swimming laps after 3 lessons. She had not swam before.

That's great. I didn't mean to join a program to learn how to swim. It was a suggestion to make it more fun and to get faster. Much faster. Didn't mean to insinuate that you need a program to learn how to swim. I never had a swim lesson in my life.

It's hard to write in forums when the audience doesn't know you, see your body language or hear voice inflection. I apologize if I sounded offensive.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That's great. I didn't mean to join a program to learn how to swim. It was a suggestion to make it more fun and to get faster. Much faster. Didn't mean to insinuate that you need a program to learn how to swim. I never had a swim lesson in my life.

It's hard to write in forums when the audience doesn't know you, see your body language or hear voice inflection. I apologize if I sounded offensive.

Oh heck no. I just tend to do things myself. I guess I don't like to ask for help. I did try a technique called Total Immersion and it really helped my form.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Oh heck no. I just tend to do things myself. I guess I don't like to ask for help. I did try a technique called Total Immersion and it really helped my form.

Total Immersion is good also. I did that before trying our local Master's program. You can get good workouts from Total Immersion. I printed them out and laminated them so I could keep them poolside.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Total Immersion is good also. I did that before trying our local Master's program. You can get good workouts from Total Immersion. I printed them out and laminated them so I could keep them poolside.

I taught myself how to swim as a kid and before Total Immersion I would go to a lap pool that had 3 ft deep ends and drag my feet (I am 6'3"). After Total Immersion I never dragged my feet again.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I taught myself how to swim as a kid and before Total Immersion I would go to a lap pool that had 3 ft deep ends and drag my feet (I am 6'3"). After Total Immersion I never dragged my feet again.

That "pressing the buoy" thing really works, doesn't it!

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Question for the runners in here... Do you carry while running? If so, how?

I've been primarily running inside, but will soon be running outdoors and was looking for active carry solutions.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I've been primarily running inside, but will soon be running outdoors and was looking for active carry solutions.

Maybe this option could work for you. :dunno:

[video=youtube;RoMaY8m3Igs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoMaY8m3Igs[/video]

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI

Knife for me. At one point I made a custom holster for around my calf and have experimented with other options but at the end of the day it's just too dang uncomfortable. I have considered (am considering) pepper spray but my pistol just throws me off. Like today, 4 miles at 89 degrees with 90% humidity blah....the thought of having a gun's weight bouncing and chafing my stomach or back is just too much.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Knife for me. At one point I made a custom holster for around my calf and have experimented with other options but at the end of the day it's just too dang uncomfortable. I have considered (am considering) pepper spray but my pistol just throws me off. Like today, 4 miles at 89 degrees with 90% humidity blah....the thought of having a gun's weight bouncing and chafing my stomach or back is just too much.

Well, at the NRA convention there was a solution I wish I would have looked at. It was mostly spandex that goes underneath your clothes. The idea would be it wouldn't be bouncing at all. I agree though, if it's going to be bouncing all around, I'll just go with a knife or two.

Top Bottom