Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Monday: martial arts

Tuesday: martial arts in AM and PM with a hike with shooting during the day

Wednesday: martial arts

Thursday: Circuit training: 1 minute each of: heavy rope, cleans, medicine ball crunches, caber toss (submarine bag full of sand), a dozen times around.

Tonight I am doing punches, mook and long pole. Should be a good sweat in this humidity.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    My workout:
    3 days a week alternating workouts MWF-ABA....following week BAB (off sat/sun - can do lite cardio if you like 45min-hr, max)

Exercise A:
    3x5 Squats
    3X5 BP
    3X5 Pullups/Pull Downs
    -Isolation of any body part til failure

Exercise B:
    3x5 Squats
    3x5 Overhead Press
    3X5 DLs
    -isolation of any body part til failure (can't be the same body part from previous workout)

This will build muscle, and get you leaner. This assumes you are using weights that challenge your rather than simply going through the motions. This is a full body workout consisting of mostly compound movements. You very well maybe whipped, at the end of the 3 exercises, and can't do the iso exercises (which is ok).

Note: depending on what you want to do, you will have to adjust your caloric intake accordingly. I also suggest using a pre-workout for newbs

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Fun workout today as part of our Saturday mash. Would've been more fun if I didn't have to do it by myself...

For Time:
    21 Thrusters 75 lbs
    200m run
    15 Thrusters 95 lbs
    200m run
    9 Thrusters 115 lbs
    200m run
    6 Thrusters 135 lbs
    200m run
    3 Thrusters 155 lbs
    200m run

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    As much as I've been running lately I was still having trouble with the 1st hill at Spartan today. Yeah, straight up a ski resort hill for a mile! Over 12,000' of elevation today. Maybe that was why. LOL

I did great on obstacles that required leg power, not so good on upper body and hand strength.

Memorable moments:
    Hauled the rope/pulley >150 lb sand to the top. Pretty much ruined my hand strength for the rest of the day. :)
    Crawled up the hill under barbed wire. Had to be 200+ yards.
    Carried a 100 lb sand bag back up and down that same 200+ yard hill.
    Carried a 5 gallon bucket of rocks for 100+ yards.

The Salomon Speedcross trail runner shoes were amazing in the mud but zero traction on the painted wood walls.

A great day but I'll be feeling it tomorrow!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Circuit tonight, 8 times around for 43 minutes:

45 seconds, Push-pull (push up over dumbbells, then raise dumbells left, right)
    30 seconds, Crawl outs
    Cross lat push up
    Crawl outs
    Pylo push ups (used medicine ball)
    Crawl outs
    Triangle push ups

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I climbed 294 steps to the bunker hill monument today. Took a lot of stops. My legs twitched for 30 mins after that.

i am adding pounds and losing strength :(. Need to get back Into a routine when I get home

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Crossfit Questions:
    1) Gym isn't climate controlled, was 97 yesterday, is that safe for a 50 year old chunkster?
    2) Is it normal to blast legs everyday? All I've ever heard is 48 hours rest, seems it's backsquats, wall balls, deadlifts, box jumps, thrusters, everyday.

I like the motivation during Crossfit but worry I'm going to jack up my joints.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Crossfit Questions:
    1) Gym isn't climate controlled, was 97 yesterday, is that safe for a 50 year old chunkster?
    2) Is it normal to blast legs everyday? All I've ever heard is 48 hours rest, seems it's backsquats, wall balls, deadlifts, box jumps, thrusters, everyday.

I like the motivation during Crossfit but worry I'm going to jack up my joints.

Inside temp was 97? That is kinda hot in my opinion. My gym owner doesn't run the AC, but they have a couple Big Ass fans overhead and he opens the roll-up garage doors to circulate air. I go at 5:30 AM so it's not too bad. I imagine it gets hot later in the day.

As far as the movements you do, this is entirely up to whomever is doing the programming. There are over 13,000 crossfit gyms in the U.S.. Some have good programmers, some do not.

I happen to have lucked out and I got a very good programmer. That said, exercises involving hip flexion and shoulder movement are done often. I actually adjusted my schedule this week because my adductors are a little sore and we were going to do 60 thrusters today. So I switched my day to tomorrow. We run and do box jumps.

I think you can count on working legs most every workout but they should emphasize different parts of the leg as well as intensity. Mixing high volume, low weight with low volume heavy days, quad emphasis, hamstring emphasis, etc. Your coach should mix it up.

I also think you should be able to do less than 48 hours if the exercises are varied.

And lastly, make sure you scale! Talk to the coach, tell him/her your concerns and weaknesses and they will scale your workload appropriately. If they don't, find another gym.

And leave your ego at the door! I'm 57 and I workout with mostly 20-somethings and I have to remember I'm not young like that anymore. And I have to accept that some of those 20-somethings will kick my ass daily. And yes, they are girls.:)

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    My workout:
    3 days a week alternating workouts MWF-ABA....following week BAB (off sat/sun - can do lite cardio if you like 45min-hr, max)

Exercise A:
    3x5 Squats
    3X5 BP
    3X5 Pullups/Pull Downs
    -Isolation of any body part til failure

Exercise B:
    3x5 Squats
    3x5 Overhead Press
    3X5 DLs
    -isolation of any body part til failure (can't be the same body part from previous workout)

This will build muscle, and get you leaner. This assumes you are using weights that challenge your rather than simply going through the motions. This is a full body workout consisting of mostly compound movements. You very well maybe whipped, at the end of the 3 exercises, and can't do the iso exercises (which is ok).

Note: depending on what you want to do, you will have to adjust your caloric intake accordingly. I also suggest using a pre-workout for newbs

I just started the same program except for 5x5 instead of 3x5. Weight increases each workout. I hate squats so I started with lighter weights (squat cage should arrive this week). I will do the rowing machine on days not doing this program.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    And leave your ego at the door! I'm 57 and I workout with mostly 20-somethings and I have to remember I'm not young like that anymore. And I have to accept that some of those 20-somethings will kick my ass daily. And yes, they are girls.:)

After getting beat daily (speed & weight), by the girls, I have no ego. Daily goal: Get better & don't die!

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Decided to get back into rock climbing again.... after a 13 year hiatus..... and went to the gym yesterday. Its really hard on the ego having the brain know you "used" to be able to do something easily but unable to back it up because you now have entropy muscles and additional 40 pounds of weight.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Circuit last night:

1 minute each of:

►jump rope

►heavy bag

►bag toss (submarine bag full of sand, throw over head)

►sit ups with medicine ball

12 times around.

Tonight I'm going to hit the forearms (important in shooting) and then the mook and sword drills.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Yesterday:
    Pyramid up and back down on Benchpress, with Single Unders between each set (80 ea).
    Power Cleans into Push Press into Front Squats.
    Front Squat (once I got to heavy for me to push press) and Back Squat sets.
    Situps in between sets. I hate situps, absolutely hate them.....

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Wing Chun over weekend, and re-read Five Rings (work out for the mind).

Monday since roof being fixed at the kwoon, I went to a sihing's house and did swords, mook and shift and recover drills. Got my sweat on but got to talk with a good friend about good times from the good old, long gone, days.:D

Tonight we did a circuit, 1 minute each, 12 repetitions of:

1. Heavy rope
    2. Curls
    3. Burpee pull ups
    4. Mook

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    I will do my 5x5 workout when I get home (squat, OH press, deadlift, pullup) and then may go for a run while the kids are at baseball/softball practice.

Top Bottom