• ...and so much more!
  • Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    well, I finished my mini rant that doesn't appear to be a rant:rolleyes:

Lindsay, while I agree with most of what you said, the one golden rule I was always taught is to never draw a weapon without the explicit intention to use it. You never want to use it for intimidation, as that cannot be termed "self defense"

pending what the full story is, and the fact we shall probably never know, I will withhold judgement on if it was justified or not. This will either be a she deserves an 6 digit number and a cell at IWP or Rockville, or should be praised for defending herself.

I do not care to hear one sided people claiming gun control is to blame when no one really knows the full extent of this story.

on a side note, I have never in my life heard of a dispatcher telling a caller to keep their hands where they may be seen......that doesn't make sense - Yamaha

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

Without looking it up, my guess is that crim reck is considered a lesser included offense within aggravated battery and so the offenses basically merge for sentencing purposes. Its kind of like if you are found guilty for murder and manslaughter for killing the same person. Since the elements of manslaughter are are included in the offense of murder, you only get sentenced on the more serious offense.

IIRC, there is a long line of Indiana cases which deal with what are included offenses or different forms of violating the same statute. This must fall within one of them.

Joe

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    No surprise on this verdict. The whole getting out of her vehicle after this guy was shot and down and her and her son kicking and stomping him was pretty much a dead give-away of what these folks intent was. :rolleyes:

emsdial911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Lapel
    In defence of the Motorcyclist: I am wondering how a motorcycle stopped a SUV from passing? Did he cross the yellow line or did he protect his lane by riding on the left side of HIS lane? I ride and if I am alone I ride in the middle of the road. There have been many times when another vehicle (because I am so small) will try to use my portion of the lane to pass. I have made it harder for a vehicle to pass by riding towards the outter portion of my lane so they can not pass between me and on comming traffic. We will not know untill the motorcyclist comes arround.

In defence of the SUV driver: A woman and a 15 year old with a man comming towards her in anger had a right to defend herself and her child. Question, Was she able to retreat? Could she have gone around the parked motorcycle and drove on or was she blocked in by traffic? I would never abandon my motorcycle to confront another driver.

dean2182

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    New Albany
    You guys are reading this one tear late. The woman was charged & convicted. She is facing 20 years. Her son pleaded to battery for kicking the man on the ground after he was shot.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Wow! My eyes are bleeding from reading all of this. It sounds like there were many errors in judgment from both partys involved. I ride and have a permit and have very often felt threatened by idiots in vehicles who are doing everything but what they should be doing which is driving their vehicle safely and sensibly. I have stopped and spoke to people that have endangered me but in a sensible manner. There have been a couple of occasions where I was so angry that my better judgement and instinct said "ride on." I don't know what the rider's intent was but it does seem like the woman has a problem and hopefully she will get the appropriate counseling that she so desperately needs. Here's hoping she will never be allowed to carry any kind of weapon whatsoever for the remainder of her life.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I don't know what the rider's intent was but it does seem like the woman has a problem and hopefully she will get the appropriate counseling that she so desperately needs. Here's hoping she will never be allowed to carry any kind of weapon whatsoever for the remainder of her life.
    After she does her time and is no longer deemed a threat to society, why should she not be able to protect herself? Yes she messed up, bad, really bad. But after she serves her time and gets some training and counseling why should she not be able to carry ever again?

Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    After she does her time and is no longer deemed a threat to society, why should she not be able to protect herself? Yes she messed up, bad, really bad. But after she serves her time and gets some training and counseling why should she not be able to carry ever again?

Because she will be a convicted felon. It`s the law.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    In defence of the Motorcyclist: I am wondering how a motorcycle stopped a SUV from passing? Did he cross the yellow line or did he protect his lane by riding on the left side of HIS lane?
    In defence of the SUV driver:

People need to remeber the motorcycle rates just as much lane as cars and trucks.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Because she will be a convicted felon. It`s the law.

Yes I understand the law, I just do not agree with it. Which is why I asked why she should hopefully never carry again? And there are a few firearms she could quite possibly carry, antique and repro cap an ball for instance.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Wow, they offered her a plea where she would have only had time served. But she decides to roll the dice with the defense that a white guy on a motorcycle is so frightening to a black woman she had to do what she did... if her lawyer recommended that he should be disbarred.

And someone here wants to argue she should still be allowed to carry a handgun...

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Yes I understand the law, I just do not agree with it. Which is why I asked why she should hopefully never carry again? And there are a few firearms she could quite possibly carry, antique and repro cap an ball for instance.

Because the next two people she may shoot don't think she deseaves three strikes/shots.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Because the next two people she may shoot don't think she deseaves three strikes/shots.

What about the person she runs over with a car? Or stabs or beats to death with a bat?

Its my opinion that a person who does their time deserves all their rights back. If she is too dangerous to be allowed a firearm, she should be too dangerous to let out at all.

Top Bottom