• ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Who cares?

Geez, Mr. Gumpy Goose, maybe a bunch of gun nuts who aren't charged anything to enter an opinion would care about the state po-po's pistol selection?:laugh:

If I had my way, we'd give them money and let each one buy their own, PODA I think it is called.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    With no offense toward my brothers and sisters in ISP, however, one post stated that since the Superintendant is a "Glock Guy", the ISP will be keeping Glocks, that's like saying since I prefer Jack Daniel's, all of the guys that I work with drink JD.

In most all police agencies (I know, I know, there are certainly exceptions) the department head is usually the LEAST knowledgeable about firearms, and usually the LEAST qualified to say which weapon is "better" than others. Not to mention that the department head usually posts a minimal qualifying score (if they qualify at all) during qualifications.

The firearms staff or "range instructors" usually make recommendations with regard to weapon selection. More progressive departments offer the officers several choices of weapon or different brands due to the differentiation (read different size and sex officers here) of the body of the workforce.

I still maintain that a police officer's sidearm, be it a semiautomatic pistol, should require a manual safety to be deactivated prior to the weapon firing, if nothing else to protect the officer carrying it. Carrying a Sig, Glock, DAO Beretta or DAO Smith with no manual safety device may endanger the officer or others if an officer should be disarmed by felonious assault. At least some sort of manual safety device such as the manual safety on a 1911, Browning Hi-Power, Beretta 92, et. al. provides a momentary window of opportunity for the officer to take some sort of action should he/she be disarmed. Unless that Glock has had the Cominolli modification, there is no "manual safety", and one has in effect a seventeen to nineteen round revolver.

I do believe that Springfield XD's and the Smith M&P have the option for an external "manual safety."

Not to mention, being adequately trained in the Manual of Arms for any weapon carried is not suggested, but required.

I intend no offense to those that carry personal weapons such as Glocks, etc. sans manual safety. If it works for you, and you paid for it, so much the better. That is your choice.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    With no offense toward my brothers and sisters in ISP, however, one post stated that since the Superintendant is a "Glock Guy", the ISP will be keeping Glocks, that's like saying since I prefer Jack Daniel's, all of the guys that I work with drink JD.

In most all police agencies (I know, I know, there are certainly exceptions) the department head is usually the LEAST knowledgeable about firearms, and usually the LEAST qualified to say which weapon is "better" than others. Not to mention that the department head usually posts a minimal qualifying score (if they qualify at all) during qualifications.

The firearms staff or "range instructors" usually make recommendations with regard to weapon selection. More progressive departments offer the officers several choices of weapon or different brands due to the differentiation (read different size and sex officers here) of the body of the workforce.

I still maintain that a police officer's sidearm, be it a semiautomatic pistol, should require a manual safety to be deactivated prior to the weapon firing, if nothing else to protect the officer carrying it. Carrying a Sig, Glock, DAO Beretta or DAO Smith with no manual safety device may endanger the officer or others if an officer should be disarmed by felonious assault. At least some sort of manual safety device such as the manual safety on a 1911, Browning Hi-Power, Beretta 92, et. al. provides a momentary window of opportunity for the officer to take some sort of action should he/she be disarmed. Unless that Glock has had the Cominolli modification, there is no "manual safety", and one has in effect a seventeen to nineteen round revolver.

I do believe that Springfield XD's and the Smith M&P have the option for an external "manual safety."

Not to mention, being adequately trained in the Manual of Arms for any weapon carried is not suggested, but required.

I intend no offense to those that carry personal weapons such as Glocks, etc. sans manual safety. If it works for you, and you paid for it, so much the better. That is your choice.
    I couldn't disagree more. Snatch resistant holsters and manual safeties increase reaction time. Considering that officers usually react to a situation and are immediately put at a disadvantage; adding to that could be a death sentence. I believe in the KISS principle. Weapon retention training is very important and adequate holsters are a must, but please, a manual safety...no way.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Don't see how that would affect the ISP, since they are issued Gen3 G17s. :dunno:
    :dunno: IDK, I was just relaying what trooper told me at the range a couple months ago. I don't know any ISP personally as with other departments so I can't confirm. I don't really care either way. I know many officers around the country and not all are Glock departments. Los Angeles still issues good ole' Beretta's. Between that and Glock I've seen everything on officer's sides from 1911' to M&P's and XD's. I don't really care what they choose regardless. I'm just not a brand name fanboy of any kind.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Ok Mike,

I don't have a problem with your opinion. I just hope you never, ever, have a Glock snatched from you (or for that matter, any other "point and shoot" semiauto). Unauthorized individuals having control of one's weapon (read felon who took it from you) may be a "death sentence" too. For you.

You are welcome to your opinion. You may have more training and insight than I do. Hopefully so. One of the points I was trying to make was just because a police department chooses one weapon over another, that is not the one and only reason to choose that weapon. I favor choice and what appeals to the individual. Our agency issues Sig Sauer 229's. Do I think it is an adequate service weapon? Yes. Would I buy one for myself? No.

I have had exponentially more experience with my current duty weapon which is a 1911. I petitioned our administration and they allowed me to carry it. I provide my own ammunition for training, qualification and duty use. That is my choice. I have had Glock pistols, five of them actually and still have a G27. Is the Glock my first choice? No. They perform adequately. I found the G27 more to the liking of my wife, who shoots it better than I do.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion and if you disagree with me, fine. The pistol should be geared to the individual's personal taste and more importantly, if the person is comfortable with the manual of arms and can shoot it accurately.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm better with a 1911 than I am with a Glock but I wouldn't carry a 1911 on duty. I used one on SWAT for a few years and it was great but I have much more confidence in the reliability of my Glock pistols than I did with the 1911 pistols I owned and the one I was issued. For the average officer who only trains when required (which is never often enough) a simpler pistol is better.

If a bad guy ends up with your gun you are already screwed. This was the case when revolvers were the only game in town and it's still the case today. Counting on a bad guy to not know how to disengage a manual safety is likely not going to work out too well. As mentioned, weapon retention training and quality holsters are critical.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If a bad guy ends up with your gun you are already screwed. This was the case when revolvers were the only game in town and it's still the case today. Counting on a bad guy to not know how to disengage a manual safety is likely not going to work out too well. As mentioned, weapon retention training and quality holsters are critical.
    When a bad guy has your duty weapon, it is time to be evasive while drawing your backup. That might be an interesting training scenario.

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    The answers could fill a book!:popcorn:
    So could the questions. In all honesty, I would as a policeman want to train on what I was to use, and then just make sure I was the best I could be on it. You carry for a reason. You want it to go bang every time. You want it to be accurate. You want it to function properly. Beyond that, you want to be able to count on a constant in the firearm you carry. If it is a Glock or an S&W, a Ruger or a Colt, what does it really matter? As long as the gun does what you need it to do, it is a tool.

Don't get too attached to names and duty weapon preferences. Most police I know prefer a quality weapon that works as intended, and aren't married to a brand.:):

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    So could the questions. In all honesty, I would as a policeman want to train on what I was to use, and then just make sure I was the best I could be on it. You carry for a reason. You want it to go bang every time. You want it to be accurate. You want it to function properly. Beyond that, you want to be able to count on a constant in the firearm you carry. If it is a Glock or an S&W, a Ruger or a Colt, what does it really matter? As long as the gun does what you need it to do, it is a tool.

Don't get too attached to names and duty weapon preferences. Most police I know prefer a quality weapon that works as intended, and aren't married to a brand.:):

Exactly! :yesway::rockwoot:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Most police I know prefer a quality weapon that works as intended, and aren't married to a brand.:):
    Most police I know don't know much about guns and aren't concerned with what they carry. Trying to get them to qualify is like pulling teeth.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    I wonder if it will be the same as the Beretta replacement deal, and the troopers will get sweetheart pricing on buying their "old" duty guns? or if since it is same brand Glock just trades them all out in one swoop and then Glock dumps them some other place in the world.

Top Bottom