• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    There are TONS of benefits. The people are put to work, and thereby default off the "streets." Theyre working for their money. It may inspire them to get a "real" job that pays more. The city gets an influx of cheap labor (actually kinda "free" since they would be paying this money anyways). The city could also use the program to identify people who could move into better govt positions.

This idea has more practical merit, but can you imagine being the one in charge of trying to get these people to do work instead of ruin things/steal things/fight, etc? I can't imagine how many bouncer-sized babysitters we'd have to hire for this busload of idiots. Then you KNOW they're gonna unionize, sue the government, all sorts of issues.

I mean, I suppose it's better than straight handouts if it worked, but I have my doubts. The whole system's just gotta go.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    A guy I work with was telling me about an Asian county (maybe Singapore) that he hung out in, I can't remember what one. But, they'll give you a job if you don't have one. Nobody goes back for the second day, they find a job on their own after that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This idea has more practical merit, but can you imagine being the one in charge of trying to get these people to do work instead of ruin things/steal things/fight, etc? I can't imagine how many bouncer-sized babysitters we'd have to hire for this busload of idiots. Then you KNOW they're gonna unionize, sue the government, all sorts of issues.

I mean, I suppose it's better than straight handouts if it worked, but I have my doubts. The whole system's just gotta go.

This is probably true.
    Thing is......If we just strip funding from the system that would put this entire country into a serious state of civil unrest. New York would burn I fear.
    Our unemployment rate (if you believe the figures) would quadruple over night. There are no jobs for these people even if they wanted one. The Hispanics have sucked up all the non-trained positions. It would be madness and mayhem everywhere.
    Fergison would be a walk in the park if the checks stopped.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    This is probably true.
    Thing is......If we just strip funding from the system that would put this entire country into a serious state of civil unrest. New York would burn I fear.
    Our unemployment rate (if you believe the figures) would quadruple over night. There are no jobs for these people even if they wanted one. The Hispanics have sucked up all the non-trained positions. It would be madness and mayhem everywhere.

I'd be ok with a phased approach.

Can't say I'd cry over New York. (j/k) (Sort of)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'd be ok with a phased approach.

Can't say I'd cry over New York. (j/k) (Sort of)

I started to write no big loss but stumbled at that one.

A phase out would still end up with riots as so many have no freaking idea how to exist in a working society beyond waiting on the mail man, section 8 and food stamps.

Getting the able bodied off the porch and into the world (even with the strict supervision) would be a start. I am sure there would be those who would not conform but at the risk of loosing benefits and jail time that number "Might" be reduced.

Remember, we are dealing with stacked generations of people trained to utilize the system.

This is going to be a problem well past my time on this planet.

Politicians have generated it and lack the package to fix it.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I started to write no big loss but stumbled at that one.

A phase out would still end up with riots as so many have no freaking idea how to exist in a working society beyond waiting on the mail man, section 8 and food stamps.

Getting the able bodied off the porch and into the world (even with the strict supervision) would be a start. I am sure there would be those who would not conform but at the risk of loosing benefits and jail time that number "Might" be reduced.

Remember, we are dealing with stacked generations of people trained to utilize the system.

This is going to be a problem well past my time on this planet.

Politicians have generated it and lack the package to fix it.

You're not wrong. I'm not sure that it can be fixed. It certainly isn't sustainable... the gravy train will end someday, somehow. It won't be pretty.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Who to test? Initially, everyone. Once accepted into whatever program, randomly or if any of a number of indicators appear. But everyone should be tested annually, at the absolute minimum. More like semi-annually or, better still, quarterly. Today the cost is negligible.

This should be standard practice for anyone receiving income / benefits from taxpayer dollars. And YES, this should include politicians, firefighters, police officers, and all other government workers, or those who receive income from tax dollars.

How about government pensioners? Social Security and Medicare recipients?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This is probably true.

Yep. Look what happened in Europe when they implemented "austerity programs" and cut back on the public dole. Massive civil unrest.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Some people qualify for SS without working. Some people work, but draw out way more than they put in. It definitely has aspects of a giveaway program.

On this point I can not disagree and it should be stopped.
    I am personally aware of a few who are milking this. Not a freaking thing can be done.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I suggest volunteering at a hospital.
    Check out the maternity and the ER. Drug use plays a vital role in both departments.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Check out the maternity and the ER. Drug use plays a vital role in both departments.

Our little girl was a cocaine baby and has Fetal Alcohol Syndrome

​(But I'm sure her birth mother never ever smoked pot)

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

So does alcohol. Drinking alcohol is a victimless crime too.

Doing things to harm other people is the kind of activity that should be prohibited -- crimes with a victim. Crimes like assault and battery.

Minding your own business should never be illegal in a free country.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom