• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    During my time dealing with section 8 (there is another Ingo member that shared my experiences) I would get a no A/C call and roll to run it.
    When I arrived I was usually greeted by 1 or more new cars on 24's. People hanging out drinking and smoking (yeah, that stuff) and dressed way better than you would expect folks on welfare deep into the system to be.
    I have seen and heard drug deals go down in these houses.
    Everyone sporting the latest I-phone. Nice furniture and big screens.
    Not every home but the majority of them.
    I had to zip my lip to stay out of trouble. SmartA$$ punk kids and lazy parents.
    More than once I had to convince those in the "Hood" that taking my tools would not be a wise idea.
    The money was great. The work sucked.

This is more the norm.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'd rather see a work requirement or public service than drug testing

I have mentioned this in conversation and get the absolute weirdest looks.
    There are so many things that could get done with this.
    If able bodied.....get up, get off the porch and get out and do something.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I have mentioned this in conversation and get the absolute weirdest looks.
    There are so many things that could get done with this.
    If able bodied.....get up, get off the porch and get out and do something.

I had worked out kind of a formula to implement this. Obviously, you can't just have everybody getting handouts for nothing, and then one day require that they work.
    In my plan, we would acknowledge that sometimes people fall on hard times. The first year on the program, a person wouldn't have to work to receive benefits. The second year, ok, you owe the state 8 hours of work. The process continues until year 5, where the person is now providing 40 hours of work. They can take it or leave it. A bus would come by people's homes, and pick them up. If someone doesn't get on the bus, then their check is docked accordingly. If you don't get on the bus, at all, fine... you starve.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had worked out kind of a formula to implement this. Obviously, you can't just have everybody getting handouts for nothing, and then one day require that they work.
    In my plan, we would acknowledge that sometimes people fall on hard times. The first year on the program, a person wouldn't have to work to receive benefits. The second year, ok, you owe the state 8 hours of work. The process continues until year 5, where the person is now providing 40 hours of work. They can take it or leave it. A bus would come by people's homes, and pick them up. If someone doesn't get on the bus, then their check is docked accordingly. If you don't get on the bus, at all, fine... you starve.

Do you see the other benefits here. Train people raised in the system to get up, go somewhere, do something productive and get some dignity about yourself.

I was leaning more towards more hours a week just to get some motivation in some of the people raised in a totally non-motivated environment.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Do you see the other benefits here. Train people raised in the system to get up, go somewhere, do something productive and get some dignity about yourself.

I was leaning more towards more hours a week just to get some motivation in some of the people raised in a totally non-motivated environment.

There are TONS of benefits. The people are put to work, and thereby default off the "streets." Theyre working for their money. It may inspire them to get a "real" job that pays more. The city gets an influx of cheap labor (actually kinda "free" since they would be paying this money anyways). The city could also use the program to identify people who could move into better govt positions.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There are TONS of benefits. The people are put to work, and thereby default off the "streets." Theyre working for their money. It may inspire them to get a "real" job that pays more. The city gets an influx of cheap labor (actually kinda "free" since they would be paying this money anyways). The city could also use the program to identify people who could move into better govt positions.

Gee whiz........this will never fly......:(

Common sense allocation of a ready work force. Go figure.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    indebted servitude

slavery

Kut, I'm surprised at you

Why? I've never been a slave.
    And it's not indebted servitude. Participants can walk away whenever they feel like it.... they just will be having the sad face at the first of the month.
    :dunno:

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Why? I've never been a slave.
    And it's not indebted servitude. Participants can walk away whenever they feel like it.... they just will be having the sad face at the first of the month.
    :dunno:

you want your food, housing and medical care......work for the state

single women and minorities, what about the children, and childcare

these are the arguments that have been used whenever this idea has come up. Heartless, slavemongers, labor for your "benefits",
    backbreaking cheap labor demanded by the "state"

heard it in Florida, heard it in Georgia. If you don't have a response then the protesters win and your the racist hater of single mothers

usually resulting in an increase in benefits and no work requirement

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    you want your food, housing and medical care......work for the state

single women and minorities
    , what about the children, and childcare

these are the arguments that have been used whenever this idea has come up. Heartless, slavemongers, labor for your "benefits",
    backbreaking cheap labor demanded by the "state"

heard it in Florida, heard it in Georgia. If you don't have a response then the protesters win and your the racist hater of single mothers

usually resulting in an increase in benefits and no work requirement

The demographics of welfare are a "bit" larger than that group.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    The demographics of welfare are a "bit" larger than that group.
    of course it is

but you won't hear that from the press and protesters

I can't take credit for indebted servitude, that was coined during the Florida protests.

the state caved on the religious freedom act after the press and protests called them homophobic and anti gay/pro discrimination.
    You don't think they will cave again being called racist slavemongers.

they did in the other states

Top Bottom