Indiana Cuisine: Cultural Wasteland or Hidden Gem?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No, not at all.

Is this going to be one of those whiny threads like "no good deals at gun shows?"

The reason we have those threads is because people do not avail themselves to study the gun market. There are oodles of deals every Indy 1500, but people walk right by them and then kvetch on the Internet that no one gave them a gun for the princely sum of $13.00 (parking + cover charge).

Same with restauants, if you complain about not finding good restaurants it's because you have not put in work to study what is out there.

What do you like? How can I help?

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Indianapolis has some awesome Indian food choices. A restaurant we frequented when we lived in Cincinnati opened up one in the Broad Ripple area. I can't think of the name of the restaurant. We moved (back) to Columbus (Indiana) and a group of people opened up an Indian restaurant there... then expanded to Fishers. The one in Columbus is great.. Customer service is a bit lacking but they are the only game in town and for probably 30 miles in each direction.

Do you like curry take away, Kirk? If so, where do you frequent in your part of Indy?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    KirkFreeman said

"What do you like? How can I help?"

Actually we do get out and look and have found several great places to eat, however we haven't found any GOOD BBQ, I'm not talking the dried out schlepp that they pass off for brisket down in Mooresville but the good, melt in your mouth brisket. It's to the point now that we have pretty much given it up for bbq and have considered mail-ordering it from this place in Oklahoma that we love.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    If I lived just a little bit further west, I would make The Beef House in Covington a regular stop. As it is, I try to get there every few months or so. There is no restaurant that I have enjoyed any more than that one.

I like the occasional trip to Welliver's in Hagerstown, too. That's Hoosier food, there.

But you know what I haven't found? A place serving a bacon cheesetenderloin. I could go for one of those.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    however we haven't found any GOOD BBQ

Aha! See, I can help you there.

Just cruise on over to Broad Ripple to Locally Grown Gardens, on the Monon Trail at 54th Street. The best BBQ in the country by an awarding winning chef.

Locally Grown Gardens | Indianapolis farmers market open year-round

LGG embodies Indiana cuisine: fresh, organic and yummy!

Home on the Range: Search results for Locally Grown Gardens

farm+market.JPG

pig+on+a+plate.JPG

I don't eat pig often, but this BBQ is off the charts. Amazing. It must be tried to be believed!

Here's review by, I say, I say a Southern type who do knows her BBQ, I say, I say:

View From The Porch: Merry, Merry Month of May Indy Blogmeet!

What else ya got?:popcorn:

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    KirkFreeman said

"What do you like? How can I help?"

Actually we do get out and look and have found several great places to eat, however we haven't found any GOOD BBQ, I'm not talking the dried out schlepp that they pass off for brisket down in Mooresville but the good, melt in your mouth brisket. It's to the point now that we have pretty much given it up for bbq and have considered mail-ordering it from this place in Oklahoma that we love.

I'm not a fan of the brisket either but the pulled pork is great.
    Try GT souths it's a different style of Q . I haven't tried their brisket either but the chicken is very nice

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Aha! See, I can help you there.

Just cruise on over to Broad Ripple to Locally Grown Gardens, on the Monon Trail at 54th Street. The best BBQ in the country by an awarding winning chef.

Locally Grown Gardens | Indianapolis farmers market open year-round

LGG embodies Indiana cuisine: fresh, organic and yummy!

Home on the Range: Search results for Locally Grown Gardens

farm+market.JPG

pig+on+a+plate.JPG

I don't eat pig often, but this BBQ is off the charts. Amazing. It must be tried to be believed!

Here's review by, I say, I say a Southern type who do knows her BBQ, I say, I say:

View From The Porch: Merry, Merry Month of May Indy Blogmeet!

What else ya got?:popcorn:

Im gonna try it soon .:D

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Kirk, we'll definitely give 'em a try, maybe even this weekend if the weather cooperates (no more snow). I've tried GT and it just wasn't to my liking, everyone else seemed to enjoy it and it has a great reputation but didn't work for me.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    To me, a little known place called Hollyhock Hill eptimizes Indiana homecooking:

Hollyhock Hill

Their hours are a bit screwy but the food is worth it!

Restaurant Hours:
    Closed Monday
    Tues-Fri 5:00pm - 8:00pm
    Sat 4:00pm - 8:00pm
    Sun 12:00pm - 7:30pm

The prices are reasonable considering the portions. Just looking at their menu makes me hungry! Here is their signature meal...

An appetizer and relishes start your FAMILY STYLE DINNER: followed by a platter of Hoosier Fried Chicken (hand-fried like Mother used to do). A boat of good old-fashioned chicken gravy and a bowl of creamy whipped potatoes: topped with a pool of melted butter follows.

Also included are two specially prepared vegetables. Salad with our famous Sweet-Sour Dressing, cottage cheese, homemade pickled beets, jelly and dinner rolls.

Dessert consists of vanilla ice cream - with a choice of toppings to make your own Sundae or our famous homemade Brownies (sherbet or peppermint ice cream upon request).

Finally, enjoy all the coffee you can drink - Sanka, hot or iced tea
    If you find that you can't finish your platter of chicken, your server will bring you a to-go container so you can take it with you.

We will be glad to serve you extra portions of vegetables, salad and bread. We want you to feel that you have had a feast.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

You just ruined it with all that sauce. Do they serve it with the sauce already on it or on the side?

If I had to cook ribs to survive on, I'd starve because I can't cook a good rack of ribs to save my life. But give me some pork picnics and I can do them up just fine.

I put a rub on them and smoke them for about 6 hours and then wrap them tight in foil. I then put them in the oven til they reach about 190-200 degrees. Pull them out of the oven and let them sit about 2 hours in the foil. Unwrap and pull the bone right out and start pulling the meat. They aren't cooked in a drop of sauce. I put the meat on a bun and put a little sauce on like you would ketchup on a burger and it's pulled pork heaven.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    it must suck for all you guys being cuisine starved:): here in bloomington we have a plethora of world cuisine and classic institutions. we have one of or the only tibetan restaurant/s in the nation, tons of middle eastern, greek, japanese, mexican, irish, italian eateries. the only reason is IU though. now as far as quintessential indiana cuisine? corn, pork tenderloins, and persimmon pudding.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You just ruined it with all that sauce. Do they serve it with the sauce already on it or on the side?

I concur. I don't like to drown my food in sauce. (I was just at Subway for lunch and the lady in front of me had them empty the mustard container into her sandwhich--ick).

You get it your way at LLG, right off the pig and choice of sauce on it or on the side.

BTW, I haver purchased LLG pies (honey crisp apple) for Thanksgiving and Christmas, they are a big hit!

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    it must suck for all you guys being cuisine starved:): here in bloomington we have a plethora of world cuisine and classic institutions. we have one of or the only tibetan restaurant/s in the nation, tons of middle eastern, greek, japanese, mexican, irish, italian eateries. the only reason is IU though. now as far as quintessential indiana cuisine? corn, pork tenderloins, and persimmon pudding.

Irish Lion is my favorite. Nothing like a yard of Guiness and a bowl of coddle!

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    i don't think we have any regional food here. in fact im pretty sure. Unless u count squirrel meat and whiskey:D

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Ok, how about pizza? Who has the best in Hamilton County? There are pretty much only chains around here that I've been able to find, and while I like some of it (such as Pizza Hut's personal pan pizza), most of it is barely tolerable. We had a good mom-n-pop in Noblesville that just closed due to lack of business. So who's left?

On a related note, Domino's is still not great, but the new recipe is actually edible now.

Top Bottom