Indiana Constitutional Carry-Summer Study thread (2017)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Indiana Constitutional Carry will not happen for a LEAST several years…everyone will see.
    I take it you weren't shootered for this post. This isn't the first rodeo for CC in IN. NH had been at it since 2012 if memory serves and this will be the 4th year Rep Lucas introduces a CC bill. Just keep pushing the rock up the hill.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I would love to be there. Do you have to disarm? Stupid question, I know.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Per website: meeting for 22 August moved to the House Chambers

Thanks - was just heading to make sure the location was updated. Still hopeful to watch at least (probably later - doc appoint previously noted is at same time.)

I would love to be there. Do you have to disarm? Stupid question, I know.

well it is ONLY the state house. ... LOL - yeah. unless you have a special privilege; like LEO (not sure) or Legislator / LSA staff.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    from the NRA-ILA:

the Indiana Joint Committee on Judiciary and Public Policy will begin a summer study on constitutional carry. This summer study is being conducted following the enactment of self-defense legislation, House Bill 1071. Sponsored by state Representative Sean Eberhart (R-57) and signed into law by Governor Holcomb, HB 1071 ensures that victims of domestic violence are not left defenseless by allowing them to carry a handgun for self-defense without a license while they are waiting for their carry permit to be approved. Constitutional carry would eliminate the requirement for law-abiding adults to obtain a permit in order to lawfully carry, and would make the current permitting system optional, which will still allow citizens to obtain permits to take advantage of reciprocity agreements with other states. Constitutional carry recognizes a law-abiding adult’s Right to Keep and Bear Arms for self-defense in the manner they choose. Self-defense situations are difficult, if not impossible, to anticipate. Accordingly, a law-abiding adult’s right to defend themselves in such situations should not be conditioned by government-mandated time delays and taxes.

Your NRA will be following the progress of this summer study and providing updates. Please stay tuned to your email inbox andwww.nraila.orgfor further updates on these new laws and other Second Amendment issues in The Hoosier State.
    https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170821/indiana-summer-study-on-constitutional-carry-begins

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Rep Young has just pointed out that the ISP relies on crazy people to self identify when filling out the form...

Is now questioning why they keep the fingerprints of filers on file. Once it's been proven you are a proper person why do they keep the prints? For future investigations.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Did, or will, this summer study produce a report, preferably available on line? I would like to see that.

I guess LTCH forbidden in the State Capitol?

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Did, or will, this summer study produce a report, preferably available on line? I would like to see that.

I guess LTCH forbidden in the State Capitol?

Yes, and yes.

A final report will be available online.

Normal, ordinary people cannot carry in the Statehouse. Even with an LTCH.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Rep Lucas asked the ISP guy if criminals currently obey the law and apply for a license...:):

Just because you are denied does not mean these people will not carry...right? We need a tap dancing icon...

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Recent questioning is along the lines of asking where the mayhem in the states that have CC is. Sounds like ISP doesn't want to change because...change...it's stressful.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Rep Eberhart (I think) pointed out that what the ISP needs is a way to check criminal history at the road side.

ISP thinks this system does not exist...would rather rely on his staff of 6 to research the person. ISP is going back to HS debate team just trying to turn points.

Eberhart says that the systems do exist, they are being used in 13 states right now.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Sen Taylor...do we need a militia to uphold the rights we have today? He's arguing the constitution is irrelevant because it's obsolete. Sen Taylor hates freedom. Says we need an ID to vote so we need an ID to carry.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Sen Taylor now want's to know if there is CC a felon can carry...and seems to believe that's unfathomable. ISP lawyer said that there is a federal law that covers that.

Sen Taylor seems to believe that felons should be able to carry when released. I would agree if that meant that they could be trusted in society as a responsible citizen...but obviously our catch and release policies don't support that yet.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    ISP guy thinks more people require less freedom. We have more people than some of the 13 with CC therefore we need more control. Meh.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    LE Alliance guy, Mr Bushman, (had to step out)...thinks there are limits to rights and the permit is an appropriate restriction on the right to carry.

Rep Lucas says that we have restrictions on abuse, and do not pre limit them. Says perhaps we should have to get a pre-emptive permit to exercise any right.

Mr Bushman said that we should have different restrictions for different rights. He said a permit for right to assemble was the same. Lucas asked if that was right.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Rob Wiley, State Chiefs Assoc. Thinks the 2nd Am needs to be disassociated from Const. Carry and you can support one and not the other...splitting some pretty fine hairs here Rob. Thinks the permit process keeps guns out of the hands of criminals. Thinks criminals will apply to carry to follow the law.

The fail is strong in this one.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Rep Lucas, did you swear to uphold and support the constitution? Do you believe the words shall and shall not are open to interpretation? Rob...a lot of words...answer is yes.

Top Bottom