• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Because you are using a comparison that includes some sort of parity between professions when no parity exists. ie: "if I do XXXXX in my job I will get fired, so if you do XXXXX in your job then you should get fired too". This is an emotionally charged issue, I get that, but just because you would get a punishment for doing what this officer did does not mean that he should get the same punishment. Hell, I have worked jobs in the private sector where showing up to work drunk was a daily occurrence for some and they were not disciplined in the least.
    Because kingsmen are special and deserve extra protection.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You are being kind of harsh, aren't you? It seems like the officers believe the guy deserves to be dismissed.

Not being harsh at all. Not the least bit surprised to see them defending the system that makes it nearly impossible to fire this douche bag. That's why I asked if he's willing to give up his merit protection.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Not being harsh at all. Not the least bit surprised to see them defending the system that makes it nearly impossible to fire this douche bag. That's why I asked if he's willing to give up his merit protection.

I didn't exactly see any defense for the officer, other than mine.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Merit law is not going to make it impossible, or even difficult, to fire him. Merit Law does more than grant protection from allegations, it also outlines a process of justice, much like our legal system, that is to be followed. It is designed to provide accountability and due process.

To answer your question, no, I would not give up my Merit protection, point blank. I don't want the powers-that-be to be able to fire me because some disgruntled person accuses me of something I didn't do. I want a process in place that will investigate the allegation and take into account my rights before an action can be taken.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Merit law is not going to make it impossible, or even difficult, to fire him. Merit Law does more than grant protection from allegations, it also outlines a process of justice, much like our legal system, that is to be followed. It is designed to provide accountability and due process.

To answer your question, no, I would not give up my Merit protection, point blank. I don't want the powers-that-be to be able to fire me because some disgruntled person accuses me of something I didn't do. I want a process in place that will investigate the allegation and take into account my rights before an action can be taken.

So how many months can we expect this process to take for a guy who shows up to work drunk and fails the tests? The longer this crap drags out, the more the pd reputation goes in the tank.

I see this mentality in unions. They're willing to let the union protect the bad to keep that protection for themselves.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    he was immediately stripped of his police powers/equipment and is suspended without pay. The firing is basically a formality and will happen. If Merit law causes the actual firing to take a couple months, I'm OK with that. I don't see it as a bad thing and if you see it as bad, I can only say that it, as a whole, helps more than it (seemingly) hurts.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    He will be fired quite easily. The merit system is not protecting the bad officers, its the administrators. Their incompetence is what keeps bad officers from getting fired. They will overlook a bad officer's behavior for years then when that officer does something minor they decide THAT is what they will use to fire them. Well, too little too late. The merit board is a "court" for hiring and firing. You bring them a **** case you will not get the results you want. You are blaming the wrong part of the system. It starts in the academy when administrators allow certain behavior to continue from recruits they want to pass.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    So how many months can we expect this process to take for a guy who shows up to work drunk and fails the tests? The longer this crap drags out, the more the pd reputation goes in the tank.

I see this mentality in unions. They're willing to let the union protect the bad to keep that protection for themselves.
    The union has nothing to do with this.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I think that the guy has a drinking problem. Why else would he risk his job/career over booze. Now that I have stated the obvious, I think that firing the guy can and probably will increase his alcohol problem. I don't have a good solution or answer but ten years on the job is worth something to IMPD if he wants help and gets rehabilitated.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The merit system wasn't written by cops. It protects the citizens as much as it protects the officers. Perhaps it should be dumped, then the next anti gun mayor can appoint a nice anti gun chief who can fire any officer who isn't anti gun and hire a bunch of people recommended by Mom's Demand Action so the P.D. can harass gun owners to no end. That'd be great.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    ...but ten years on the job is worth something to IMPD if he wants help and gets rehabilitated.

The PR nightmare in the post-Bisard world and the law suit that would result if he relapses and crashes taken individually means he's a liability and his ten years aren't worth squat now, even if you ignore the reasons I listed earlier in this thread of why there's no way I'd give him a second chance for many, many years.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    This is a sad thing. I don't pretend to be able to understand the stresses imposed by that vocation. It's a terrible shame that ten years can be thrown away so quickly. I hope he gets the help he needs and somehow lands on his feet.

Top Bottom