• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I just can't believe Destro hasn't logged into this thread yet with a solid reason why we all shouldn't be passing judgement on this guy.

Can we wait to hear the drunks side of the story in the courtroom or do we have to hear it before since he was a cop?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I don't get this. The guy's record should be examined and he should POSSIBLY get another chance. What's with this one screw up and you are done? Should EVERY occupation receive the same treatment or just law enforcement? What is the SOP in IMPD?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I don't get this. The guy's record should be examined and he should POSSIBLY get another chance. What's with this one screw up and you are done? Should EVERY occupation receive the same treatment or just law enforcement? What is the SOP in IMPD?

The SOP before Bisard's crash was too lenient and allowed officers arrested and convicted of their first DUI to keep their job, after serving a lengthy suspension. Now officers off-duty and arrested for DUI can still keep their job (if it is charged as a misdemeanor) after a lengthy suspension but having any measurable amount of alcohol in your system while in uniform, on-duty, or driving an IMPD vehicle is an offense that results in termination. Like I said, **** him. He chose to do it and should now face the consequences.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

My job would have fired me on the spot if I showed up drunk. What makes this kingsman special?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

If I were to have gotten a DUI when I was in a service truck or even in my own vehicle my career would have been over. Insurance company's and service company will not Insure or hire drunks. Done. 1 time and you are walking and you can not be a service tech if you are walking.
    My son got a DUI and he was ejected from the apprenticeship program and fired from his job. 8 years in the trade down the crapper. His choice and the lesson was hard learned. He had to move furniture and other low paying menial jobs until his record was cleared so he could get behind the wheel of a company vehicle and make decent money again.
    If he was made to suffer the consequences I have no sorrow for a LEO that gets his a$$ in a ringer. He (LEO) should, of all people, know better.
    There are other factors to this as well.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers

I know that if I were in a "company" vehicle and was cited for DUI, OR if I showed up at work drunk, I would most certainly lose my job. So I don't see him potentially losing his job over this as being unduly harsh.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    What is the SOP in IMPD?
    General order states that driving a city vehicle with ANY measurable alcohol in the body is a terminating offense. If he was off-duty and stopped in his personal car, 2nd chance is fine. But this guy should just quit before he gets fired. We don't need this kind of heat. For crying out loud, just call in sick. Police work has a very close relationship with booze and it shows. I don't drink but there are days that getting **** faced sounds like a good idea.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

Any DUI conviction would cost me my job, and I don't drive for a living. How could someone sworn to enforce the law keep their job while breaking it?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Yeah, I get the DUI while driving the work car. I just believe many officers suffer from PTSD and it's ignored, while they use various drugs to deal with it. Maybe they have measures to deal with it at IMPD, of which I am not aware.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'm anxiously waiting to see what angle the resident INGO "cop haters" take on this one, since they are also the ones who claim drunk driving is ok and "victimless" as long as they don't crash...

:popcorn:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Drunks come in all shapes and sizes, you find some of them in just about every occupation.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I'm anxiously waiting to see what angle the resident INGO "cop haters" take on this one, since they are also the ones who claim drunk driving is ok and "victimless" as long as they don't crash...
    :+1: x 1,000.

...The reason I ask is an acquaintance of mine some years back got a dui
    for being in his car with the keys, sleeping outside of a bar.

He decided he was too hammered to drive and got nailed anyway...
    Well, the IMPD wasn't in the car when he got 'nailed'.

...Why not tiered for mitigating circumstances like OWI resulting in property damage or OWI resulting is bodily injury death? Or OWI by a LEO...
    "Mitigating". So LESS of a penalty for OWI resulting in property damage or bodily injury or death? :scratch:

Who SAYS he drove there? Just because his squad was there doesn't mean HE drove it. Maybe he didn't take it home after his previous shift, and it never left the lot. Maybe someone else drove it there for him. And NO, he would NOT 'have to produce the driver'. Innocent until PROVEN guilty and the defendant is NOT required to prove they're 'not guilty'. SAME justice for everyone, right? :rockwoot:

Guilty of 'drunk on-duty'? Guess so, since LEO's are never, really 'off-duty'. Drunk on shift? Doubtful, since it appears the Officer was never allowed to start his shift due to his appearance and results of the breathalyzer.

Fired for showing up in that condition? Depends on departmental (or company) policy. But, again, it appears he never 'started' work.

OWI? Good luck with that.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    :+1: x 1,000.

Well, the IMPD wasn't in the car when he got 'nailed'.

"Mitigating". So LESS of a penalty for OWI resulting in property damage or bodily injury or death? :scratch:

Who SAYS he drove there? Just because his squad was there doesn't mean HE drove it. Maybe he didn't take it home after his previous shift, and it never left the lot. Maybe someone else drove it there for him. And NO, he would NOT 'have to produce the driver'. Innocent until PROVEN guilty and the defendant is NOT required to prove they're 'not guilty'. SAME justice for everyone, right? :rockwoot:

Guilty of 'drunk on-duty'? Guess so, since LEO's are never, really 'off-duty'. Drunk on shift? Doubtful, since it appears the Officer was never allowed to start his shift due to his appearance and results of the breathalyzer.

Fired for showing up in that condition? Depends on departmental (or company) policy. But, again, it appears he never 'started' work.

OWI? Good luck with that.

That's a LOT of "guard house" lawyerin' in that post. Using technicalities to avoid justice leaves just as bad a taste in my mouth when the good guys do it, as when the bad guys do it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

It depends on what you did to need another chance. Driving to work drunk, apparently planning to work your shift drunk, that doesn't deserve a second chance, at least not for many many years. Come back in a decade and show me you've been sober the whole time, fine, we'll see.

A DUI off duty, I don't care that much. You're stupid and endangering people, but society has deemed that an "A" misdemeanor at best if no one is hurt, so sure, second chance. DUI in your patrol car? I care. You know better for two reasons, all the stuff that goes with the regular DUI plus the fact you may be flagged down to engage in policing. DUI on duty? Eff you with a sharp stick, see you. Not only did you drive to work drunk, but you're either going to dump all your runs and endanger you fellow officers by being useless and unavailable as backup, or you're going to be drunk while making life and death decisions that affect yourself, your partners, and the community.

Absolutely no way to I favor a second chance for someone that endangers their fellows. Not cops, not soldiers, not firefighters, not construction workers, whatever. Endanger your brethren, you are worse than useless, you are in the way, and have zero business in that field any longer until you can PROVE you've got your act together.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm kind of surprised that a non-officer in Marion County would normally get a "no-file" for driving with a .21 BAC, but I don't know the facts of the case or how Marion County handles their DUI prosecutions. I know of a few folks up here in Hamilton County that would probably wish they'd been pulled over south of 96th street if that is the case though.

I've had people confess to dealing to me, find individually packaged amounts of narcotics, but since no one credible witnessed them deal, the only charge was possession. Courtrooms are designed to keep the truth out, and screening prosecutors are the archangel of death for a case that's only 99.9% winnable.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Well then Mr88GT should have gotten himself a job with protection of Merit Law. It's no more his fault for being employed in the "at will" sector than it is for the cop having a job with Merit protection. You can't throw out Merit law on a whim....
    Yeah, I told him LE would give him a chance to play czar with the lives of other people. Silly him. He'd rather design engines.

Chillax. Just because I'm not kissing ass doesn't mean I'm criticizing either.

Yeah, I get the DUI while driving the work car. I just believe many officers suffer from PTSD and it's ignored, while they use various drugs to deal with it. Maybe they have measures to deal with it at IMPD, of which I am not aware.
    wearing a badge doesn't change personal responsibility. Addicts ignore their addiction and put people at risk. I see no reason why a job-induced mood disorder should absolve LE of their personal and professional responsibilities.

:popcorn:
    If they don't crash, who is the victim?

Mitigating isn't the right word. The one I want escapes me and I'm too lazy and don't give a **** enough to put any thought into it.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It depends on what you did to need another chance. Driving to work drunk, apparently planning to work your shift drunk, that doesn't deserve a second chance, at least not for many many years. Come back in a decade and show me you've been sober the whole time, fine, we'll see.

A DUI off duty, I don't care that much. You're stupid and endangering people, but society has deemed that an "A" misdemeanor at best if no one is hurt, so sure, second chance. DUI in your patrol car? I care. You know better for two reasons, all the stuff that goes with the regular DUI plus the fact you may be flagged down to engage in policing. DUI on duty? Eff you with a sharp stick, see you. Not only did you drive to work drunk, but you're either going to dump all your runs and endanger you fellow officers by being useless and unavailable as backup, or you're going to be drunk while making life and death decisions that affect yourself, your partners, and the community.

Absolutely no way to I favor a second chance for someone that endangers their fellows. Not cops, not soldiers, not firefighters, not construction workers, whatever. Endanger your brethren, you are worse than useless, you are in the way, and have zero business in that field any longer until you can PROVE you've got your act together.

Got it. :yesway:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    My job would have fired me on the spot if I showed up drunk. What makes this kingsman special?

Because you are using a comparison that includes some sort of parity between professions when no parity exists. ie: "if I do XXXXX in my job I will get fired, so if you do XXXXX in your job then you should get fired too". This is an emotionally charged issue, I get that, but just because you would get a punishment for doing what this officer did does not mean that he should get the same punishment. Hell, I have worked jobs in the private sector where showing up to work drunk was a daily occurrence for some and they were not disciplined in the least.

Top Bottom