• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I am shocked folks are surprised that they are finding ways to create a law that passes Concealed Carry while making it almost impossible to carry legally. . .
    Actually outside of the city of Chicago and the folks who commute into the city, this law is not too bad for the folks in Illinois. Its not really any worse than some of the other states, its actually better than some states.

One thing that I really like about the impending law is that they made your car something like a safe haven. So if you are driving through a gun free zone (across hostpital or park property) then you are safe as long as you are in the car with your gun.

Another thing in this law that is actually pretty awesome for the residents of Illinois is that it eliminates ALL local firearm restrictions. That means that Cook County's ban on so-called 'assault weapons' is struck down. That means that Chicago's licensing scheme is struck down.

There are other hidden gems in this law.

No, its far from perfect. But it could be a hell of a lot worse!

I'll be amazed if they offer a non res permit.
    They DO OFFER a non-resident permit. Requires 16 hours of training. But if you qualify then they issue it under a SHALL issue scenario.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Stephen, there is already case law for that. You cannot use OC as RAS when it is legal without a permit. If it was pushed I'm sure the FOID card would be found unconstitutional as well.

Seems to me it would be closer to how things work here. In IL it is illegal to have a gun without a FOID, just as it is illegal here to carry a gun here without a LTCH. Seems like RAS to stop and question anyone that has a gun then.

Why do you think the FOID would be found unconstitutional?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Seems to me it would be closer to how things work here. In IL it is illegal to have a gun without a FOID, just as it is illegal here to carry a gun here without a LTCH. Seems like RAS to stop and question anyone that has a gun then.

Case law says you can't Terry someone if it is legal to carry.* There would need to be a court battle I'm sure but it should still stand.

*As long as no permit is necessary. I don't think a FOID card would count, but that is my opinion only.

Why do you think the FOID would be found unconstitutional?

Because it is :dunno:

It seems the courts have their head screwed on pretty straight at the federal district level right now so it makes sense to me that a battle of the necessities of a FOID card which negate every single intention of the 2A would be struck down in the crossfire as was no carry.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Case law says you can't Terry someone if it is legal to carry.* There would need to be a court battle I'm sure but it should still stand.

*As long as no permit is necessary. I don't think a FOID card would count, but that is my opinion only.

Because it is :dunno:

It seems the courts have their head screwed on pretty straight at the federal district level right now so it makes sense to me that a battle of the necessities of a FOID card which negate every single intention of the 2A would be struck down in the crossfire as was no carry.
    The obvious part aside. I don't see it being much different than the LTCH for this purpose. I hope I am wrong. I would LOVE to be able to carry to and from work.

It would be great if the courts would make the whole country constitutional carry. Sadly, I don't see that happening.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Governer Quinn has to sign it for it to go into law and he made public statments that he is uncomfortable with a number of things in the bill one of them being the elimination of home rule.

As a former resident of Chicago I think the law would make it very difficult to legally carry if you lived there. The restrictions of carrying on public transportation seem be completely counterproductive and do I dare say....discriminitory. As a commuter from Indiana who spends little time there off the clock I like the idea of being to keep a loaded gun in the car pretty much anywhere.

It would remove all of Chicagos restrictive laws on types of guns and mags one can own and carry. If I understand things correctly you could posess and carry handguns with double stacked mags.

I am pessimistic about the bill becoming law without many modifications, none of which we would be in favor of

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The obvious part aside. I don't see it being much different than the LTCH for this purpose. I hope I am wrong. I would LOVE to be able to carry to and from work.

It would be great if the courts would make the whole country constitutional carry. Sadly, I don't see that happening.

Functionally those of us who already possess LTCH who would carry in IL if they became ConCarry wouldn't have anything to worry about because our LTCH is equavilant to the FOID for possession purposes.

I'm sure the court order to have some form of state carry legalized did not address the FOID specifically but what about the "null and void" part of their carry laws? Would the enforcement of a FOID be nixed along with any types of laws against the carry of a firearm?

Therefore a true and pure form of ConCarry would emerge.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If your traveling to Chicago and have to stay in a hotel an are an Indiana resident can you have A ak-47 or AR-15 in your room? What about a pistol? Without any kind of "permit" or "license" ??

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    That my friend, is not my problem. I been to IL only twice since I moved out in 2001.

I usually CROSS it once or twice a year, on my way back to Iowa. But I ALWAYS fill with gas at the Iowa or Indiana border, buy some food and drinks (non-alcoholic). The ONLY thing I stop in IL for, is to take a leak. And that seems appropriate. I won't spend a damn dime there.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    If your traveling to Chicago and have to stay in a hotel an are an Indiana resident can you have A ak-47 or AR-15 in your room? What about a pistol? Without any kind of "permit" or "license" ??

You mean today? Or if this bill becomes law?

Chicago has an AW ban and a large capacity magazine ban. As is, you best bet is to not take any guns into Chicago at all.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I usually CROSS it once or twice a year, on my way back to Iowa. But I ALWAYS fill with gas at the Iowa or Indiana border, buy some food and drinks (non-alcoholic). The ONLY thing I stop in IL for, is to take a leak. And that seems appropriate. I won't spend a damn dime there.

:rockwoot:

TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    And as you ride the train into Chicago from NW Indiana you must still go unarmed.

whoops

Seems to me that if you have the financial ability to buy/drive a car AND pay the fees to park it in the city then you are pretty much screwed if you want to carry in Chicago.

you could have just cut off "if you want to carry in chicago" & statement would still ahve been true

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    This bill could be a lot worse....I have in-laws the live in Decatur and Red Bud IL. Right now I am the evil in-law that doesn't want to visit because of there gun laws. This would allow me to visit the family and make the wife happy. I think their cost are high. But, with the budget crisis that state has I would expect no less.

Top Bottom