• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If he lived where there wasn't snow...he could whip out...the Golf Course Harley

it-may-look-a-bit-weird-but-a-perfetly-restored-harley-davidson-golf-cart-is-up-for-grabs-video_2.jpg
    Here they come, in their hell-to-leather golf carts...

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Some are, some aren't.
    Im sure your most motor vehicles are one of the poorest investments one can make.
    I've done ok so far with my Americans, except for my 2010 twin cam.
    If I would have bought Japanese, they would have long been in the scrap yard due to lack of replacement parts.
    I’m not exactly sure of your point, but generally don’t disagree except for your last sentence. Having said that, there are lots of all kinds of motorcycles on the scrap pile.

Look closely at the one in the middle. 1983, runs great, picture taken in last 10 days. Some parts available, body parts are not, from Honda anyway. If it is any kind of accident other than a tip over, probably gonna be tough to fix it. I do have some parts stashed, like forks, radiator and fan, extra wheels, things I picked up for cheap over the years.

Far bike is a 2001, near bike is a 2008. I’ve found that most dealers won’t even change oil on anything older than 10 years. So, I learned myself, which I believe is necessary if you like old stuff. I have found an independent shop here and there that will work on them.

Had 8 Japanese bikes, sold 5 to move here. Got within a few hundred $ either way what I paid for them. One or two I put a lot of time and money into them and didn’t get most of that back. At some point I was buying as an investment, but gave up on that and bought what I wanted because I thought I would enjoy it. The market for 70-80s Japanese muscle bikes is indeed a niche, but there are lots of people still messing with old Honda CBs. My wife said I had a museum nobody came to!

When I had 8 bikes I added up what I paid for them and had something less than what I would have paid for 1 new Harley. I also had 8 times the, maintenance and licensing expense. I guess it’s whatever you’re interested in. We don’t generally (ever) do the biker bar/rally/ride thing and more likely than not end up at Olive Garden.

I feel like I sort of have the gamut covered, muscle bike, sort of sport bike, V Twin air cooled, tho not a HD. There are one or two I wish I hadn’t sold, but probably not enough to buy again. I enjoy the parts search, trying to find that “holy grail” part. As long as I have one that’s rideable, I’m happy. Not for everybody and if you (general you, not specific YOU) want a brand new bike that’s great!

Attachments

• IMG_5540.jpeg
      IMG_5540.jpeg
      588.8 KB · Views: 14
    Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I have a coworker that loves his Harleys, and loves fixing them more than he rides them. One afternoon a couple years ago we swapped bikes after work (he drives past my place to get home). I wasn't exactly looking to buy one but willing to give it a fair go since he talked it up so much, I can be objective. Objectively, riding a Harley was the biggest discouragement to buying one.

Will they die? Never. Will they get bought out by some investment firm that'll try to revitalize it and squeeze a few more bucks out of it several times yet? absolutely. Just like a couple gunmakers we know and bemoan what it's done to them.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have a coworker that loves his Harleys, and loves fixing them more than he rides them. One afternoon a couple years ago we swapped bikes after work (he drives past my place to get home). I wasn't exactly looking to buy one but willing to give it a fair go since he talked it up so much, I can be objective. Objectively, riding a Harley was the biggest discouragement to buying one.

Will they die? Never. Will they get bought out by some investment firm that'll try to revitalize it and squeeze a few more bucks out of it several times yet? absolutely. Just like a couple gunmakers we know and bemoan what it's done to them.

That is exactly the track they are on. And as boomers age the rails will get rickety. Probably be the top selling brand of leather for man caves and bars…

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Yeah. I'd say about 50% of their riders FALL into that category.
    Well looks like data says your wrong.

Cruisers are the most popular type of motorcycle, making up 40% of all registered bikes in 2021. When comparing death rates based on registrations, the IIHS found that cruisers, along with standard, touring, and sport-touring motorcycles, have the lowest rates of fatalities.

Wanna guess the highest?

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Still gonna ride mine. Been on 2 wheels since 1971. HD is a typical American Co. with issues like many of the others. They need to get their sHt together though and soon. I’m not married to the brand but I love my bike. It’s mine, paid in full and a joy to ride.
    Midnight Blue Metallic 2019 FLHX (Street Glide)
    Stock engine/exhaust. Don’t like loud anymore.
    The “Ghost”…
    IMG_8653.jpeg

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Cruisers are the most popular type of motorcycle, making up 40% of all registered bikes in 2021. When comparing death rates based on registrations, the IIHS found that cruisers, along with standard, touring, and sport-touring motorcycles, have the lowest rates of fatalities.

Wanna guess the highest?

Orange County Choppers?

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico

Wanna guess the highest?
    What are the other options?

Since were asking questions…..

What’s the #1 use of cowhide in the USA?

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    A$$-less chaps for the import v twin crowd?
    One of the normal answers along with footballs around the season.

But, the correct answer is………holding cows together!!!

I’ll see myself out.

I’ll guess 600cc crotch rockets have the highest death rate as that seems to be a “starter bike” altho I believe it is way too fast and powerful to learn on.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Too expensive. I don’t think they can be saved.
    Too commonplace, too. It's hard to be a "bad boy" if you're riding the same bike as middle aged investment bankers. But, I guess some people want to buy to be part of the community.

I've never been one to swim with the pack, so a Harvey Diddleson wasn't even a consideration.
    I bought something fun and different - Royal Enfield.

HD is nothing but a brand that happens to also sell motorcycles.

Top Bottom