Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    1984 Yamaha Fj1100 msrp $4999
    Bought mine 15 years ago for $2k,
    Been offered over 4k to sell it recently.
    Because thats a motorcycle that everybody buys. lol
    The Yamaha FJ1200 was powered by a 1,188cc four-stroke four-cylinder air/oil-cooled engine fed by four Mikuni carburetors, delivering an output power of 130 hp at 8,600 rpm and 108 Nm (80 lb-ft) torque at 7,500 rpm.

If you would have bought an XR750 back then, it would now be worth 17 to 25 thousand. We can play this game all night.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I don't know about that. All the critical parts to keep my '84 FJ1100 going are still available OEM from Yamaha..
    Thats a beast of a motorcycle but,
    I'll go with all of those critical parts are used in 10 to 20 newer models and thats the only reason that they are available.
    I just checked a clutch basket for your bike, it fits 19 other models from Yamaha.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I agree, but it was hard to ignore a brand new store that only had about a dozen bikes one the floor and the rest was accouterments. And it was a major city on top of that (east side of Louisville).
    One has to make payroll and pay the mortgage.
    Its not like the other motorcycle dealers arnt chock full of extras either.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The point is to have an affordable and acceptable entry level product and then have the consumer move on to the next tier. The manufacturer isn't making any significant money on you keeping your *insert product here* for 30 years or more. It's better for Harley if the young rider buys the Sportster, then transitions to a bigger more expensive bike, repeat every few years.

New drivers don't buy a Corvette out of the gate, but you want an appealing entry level car to get them into a Chevrolet so when they *do* have the money and interest in a sports car they buy *your* sports car. You want a progression of entry level car, family sedan, premium toy.

The alternative is to be an aspirational brand or lifestyle brand. The problem there is when the mood of what's cool swings, you're broke. If nobody aspires to your product or thinks your lifestyle is 'cool' any more, you lose. There's no inertia of brand loyalty.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    One has to make payroll and pay the mortgage.
    Its not like the other motorcycle dealers arnt chock full of extras either.
    Oh I agree. When you manufacturer makes you put up buildings with certain amount of footage to keep your franchise, you do whatever is necessary or get out.
    Lots of small Harley dealers either sold out or closed up.
    My snowmobile dealer was also a Harley dealer, and quite successful.
    They kept telling him to expand bigger and bigger till he just couldn't.
    Lucky for him, he sold it and retired.

mlaroccarex

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Valparaiso
    I would normally post this in the Motorcycle thread but this is happening all over in the new Woke America.

But there is now concern that even more Harley-Davidson dealerships may close amid a conservative boycott of the storied American company - which they say has gone 'woke' under CEO Jochen Zeitz.
    He went on to claim that DEI efforts have changed life inside the company of some 6,400 people.

Some 1,800 employees were trained on how to become an 'LGBTQ+ ally,' he said, while some sessions singled out white men for specific diversity-training.
    I would sell every Harley I had... Sad...

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Thats a beast of a motorcycle but,
    I'll go with all of those critical parts are used in 10 to 20 newer models and thats the only reason that they are available.
    I just checked a clutch basket for your bike, it fits 19 other models from Yamaha.
    Parts cross-compatability and common design aren’t a bad thing.
    If the parts are well designed and durable, there’s not much reason not to use them. I’m glad they were so common that they’re still available.

I’ve never bought a vehicle as an investment. Anyhow, I bought the FJ to have fun riding it, and after 40 years, it’s still delivers.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Not all have fallen into the costume party.

Plus side the leather vests and ass-less chaps go better with the new mindset at harleydavidson.

harleydavidson dealers in 2025...

N-ywx4.gif

Top Bottom