• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Depends on my mood, and the attitude of the greeter. If they are polite, and I'm not in a hurry, I'll let 'em check. If they are crappy, I'll say no and keep walking. On one occasion, I informed them that they were not permitted to touch my property, if they felt they had reason to detain me do so and call the police and their lawyer, but touching my property would not be permitted. Then I kept walking. That one was a turd. Generally, though, I'm not looking to get into a fight with some retiree.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    It blows my mind that anyone could claim a 99.9% accuracy record in arresting the actual guilty party with a straight face.

I think it comes down to guilty of what exactly , in my case it was PI & DOC . Even though I would do about 95% of it exactly as I did then , I was in fact guilty .

During the time of my state funded vacation , I didn't meet the nicest folks in town which leads me to believe that maybe the process works pretty well .

Not perfectly , just pretty good until we get something else figured out .

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    Okay gotta ask.....

For those who pretty much said that you won't stop for anything even if you set the alarm off. What if you set the alarm off and keep walking, just so happens a LEO is right there and sees you not stopping. To him it has to look like you just stole something and trying to get away with it. He's more than likely going to stop you, question you, and when he hears you say, "I did not want to waste my precious time with this greeter wanna be mall cop." he's going to proably take his sweet time and waste several minutes of your time.

Was "running away" from the greeter really worth it? :dunno: I'm just saying.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Want to really screw with them? The next time that they fail to deactivate something that you purchase and the alarm goes off when you leave, take the RFID tag off at home and keep it. Carry it with you every time you go back. It will trigger the alarm every time you enter and leave. Seeing the look on the greeters face when the alarm goes off and the only person around is coming INTO the store is priceless. Or so I've been told.;)

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Want to really screw with them? The next time that they fail to deactivate something that you purchase and the alarm goes off when you leave, take the RFID tag off at home and keep it. Carry it with you every time you go back. It will trigger the alarm every time you enter and leave. Seeing the look on the greeters face when the alarm goes off and the only person around is coming INTO the store is priceless. Or so I've been told.;)

Hey, I really like this idea.........not that I'd ever do anything like this

:whistle:

Repped

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    "Incarcerated" usually means prison--you know, after conviction.

But thank you for demonstrating what has been told to me before and that I didn't want to believe: if a person is found "not guilty" the assumption of the police is not that they got the wrong guy (and thus might actually look for the person who is actually guilty) but instead that the person "got away with it."

You really mean to sit there and say with a straight face that the police only make a mistake one time in a thousand? I might believe that of the final outcome of the system (and even there, well, I want to see the actual source to see what it actually says and on what it's based and not "what [you] remember hearing"), but from simple arrest?

Pull the other one, it's got bells on.
    And like I said...that is what was told to me by a prosecutor with much greater knowledge on the subject than you or I. The fact that you do or do not believe it means nothing to me. Although your being incarcerated at one point does give you the upper hand on me there.

Oh and for the record...

in·car·cer·ate

1. To put into jail.
    2. To shut in; confine.
    –verb (used with object) 1. to imprison; confine.
    2. to enclose; constrict closely.

It has nothing to do with post conviction. Thanks though for attempting to "scool" me on it. :rolleyes: :):

someoneiswrongontheinternet.jpg
    :):

Last edited:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I think it comes down to guilty of what exactly , in my case it was PI & DOC . Even though I would do about 95% of it exactly as I did then , I was in fact guilty .

During the time of my state funded vacation , I didn't meet the nicest folks in town which leads me to believe that maybe the process works pretty well .

Not perfectly , just pretty good until we get something else figured out .
    Baaaaad Mars Hillian. You have to start staying out of the Big Dog Saloon. :):

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    And like I said...that is what was told to me by a prosecutor with much greater knowledge on the subject than you or I. The fact that you do or do not believe it means nothing to me. Although your being incarcerated at one point does give you the upper hand on me there.

That is called "appeal to authority" and is a logical fallacy.

I mean have you listened to what you just claimed: that you and every other police officer out there only makes mistakes 1 time out of every thousand. One in a thousand? And yet this magical ability to be right 99.9% of the time is not extended toward getting actual convictions? And that is the fallacy of "special pleading."

You want to trade definitions? How about this one:

hu⋅bris

–noun
    excessive pride or self-confidence; arrogance.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    And speaking of numbers...any chance you happen to recall that six digit number that was assigned to you when you were incarcerated? Just curious...

Neither know nor care but thank you for proving my point of the previous post.

Like 2admnlover I didn't meet the nicest class of people either. But, strangely enough, I saw more decency from those in the lockup than from those standing on the outside. While the following wasn't my story, it's close enough (even though it happened in a completely different Jurisdiction--Florida, if I understand correctly):

Keep and Bear Arms - Gun Owners Home Page - 2nd Amendment Supporters

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

There HAS to be something besides those tags that sets off the alarm.
    Because it HAS gone off when I've entered the store before.
    I just looked at the greeter-ninja and gave it one of these >:dunno:
    I was just waved on through, but it didn't go off when I exited.
    I think they just are glitchy.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I set off alarms all the time... when I am walking INTO stores. I have no idea why. I've heard some tell me it was my cell phone and others ask if I've had titanium put in my body.

Maybe I'm so sexy that even alarms have to whistle at me as I walk by.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    Neither know nor care but thank you for proving my point of the previous post.

Like 2admnlover I didn't meet the nicest class of people either. But, strangely enough, I saw more decency from those in the lockup than from those standing on the outside. While the following wasn't my story, it's close enough (even though it happened in a completely different Jurisdiction--Florida, if I understand correctly):

Keep and Bear Arms - Gun Owners Home Page - 2nd Amendment Supporters

i used to have a friend that worked at the state prison in michigan city. he and his feces stained uniforms would beg to differ. if anyone is wondering, the feces stains are NOT from his own feces. while weve got the dictionaries out, can you find a word to fit the definition of making ridiculous statements in an attempt to win an internet argument?

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    i used to have a friend that worked at the state prison in michigan city. he and his feces stained uniforms would beg to differ. if anyone is wondering, the feces stains are NOT from his own feces. while weve got the dictionaries out, can you find a word to fit the definition of making ridiculous statements in an attempt to win an internet argument?

You might want to try reading for content.

I'm not talking about prison after being tried and convicted. I'm talking about jail after merely being accused of a crime.

And you can call it "ridiculous" all you want. My observations remain what they were. I saw what I saw and experienced what I experienced.

Even while waiting for photos, one guy who made no bones about being guilty (and he was in for felony assault) was actually trying to be helpful to the other accused while waiting.

As opposed to, say, someone who after 30 hours finally falls into an exhausted sleep, doesn't wake when his name is called (for having been baled out), leading to a big search among the guards to find what cell they've put the person in, is finally woken by one of the other inmates when they call his name again at this cell, then, is grilled on being taken out of the cell and asked why he didn't answer, is met with disbelief at the honest answer of "I fell asleep and didn't hear" (I guess the guard thought he liked lockup so much he wanted to stay), is put back in another cell with only the bare iron cots (no padding), no heat, and told that everyone else will be gone before he's released.

Pure milk of human kindness there.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I usually never stop. I will go around of they are checking others. Like others stated they have no right unless they want to accuse me of stealing/shoplifting.
    Usually they don't ask at any of the WM's I go to. Usually I'm carrying my receipt in hand and s mall bag from "sporting goods".
    I stopped once and after wards went straight to customer service and returned everything! They had to call a manager because they didn't know what to writer for the reason returned.......I explained to the manager how I felt and refuted him when he said it was policy as his store is the only one on the area I've had it happen at.
    I have also told them to come out the car and check as I put my items away because I'm pressed for time and walk on past.

I do like the idea someone suggested of burying the receipt in a bag and telling them to find it!

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    OH. yes, i didnt realize you were talking about jail. i concur. jail is stocked with the nicest people youd ever want to meet. what a fool i am.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    You might want to try reading for content.

I'm not talking about prison after being tried and convicted. I'm talking about jail after merely being accused of a crime.

And you can call it "ridiculous" all you want. My observations remain what they were. I saw what I saw and experienced what I experienced.

Even while waiting for photos, one guy who made no bones about being guilty (and he was in for felony assault) was actually trying to be helpful to the other accused while waiting.

As opposed to, say, someone who after 30 hours finally falls into an exhausted sleep, doesn't wake when his name is called (for having been baled out), leading to a big search among the guards to find what cell they've put the person in, is finally woken by one of the other inmates when they call his name again at this cell, then, is grilled on being taken out of the cell and asked why he didn't answer, is met with disbelief at the honest answer of "I fell asleep and didn't hear" (I guess the guard thought he liked lockup so much he wanted to stay), is put back in another cell with only the bare iron cots (no padding), no heat, and told that everyone else will be gone before he's released.

Pure milk of human kindness there.

So your experience is base on 1 visit, so there for your knowledge on this subject is the voice of experience buuuuut yet my experience is based on 15 yrs of working there night after night after night and yet I don't know what I'm talking about. I really do appreciate you setting me straight on this, and here I thought I might have some knowledge about jail, the criminal justice system, incarceration and such.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Baaaaad Mars Hillian. You have to start staying out of the Big Dog Saloon. :):

I've been there twice and will NOT go back . The last time I was in there a small drunk hillbilly was harassing a rather large and imposing lesbian .

She finally got tired of it , wrestled him down , mounted him and proceeded to beat the crap out of him . I knew it was gonna happen .
    :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao: Not to mention all the bikers . :noway:

There's probably 20 teeth in the whole place .

Top Bottom