• ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    This actually happened to me.
    At Wal-Mart in Avon there was an ethnic family and then an ethnic gentleman with full carts in front of me as I exited the interior doors. I too had a full cart. The “Greeter” stepped in front of me and asked for my receipt. In a very loud voice I started in with “ Oh yea pick on the white guy cause you can’t speak Spanish, Go ahead and single me out because you think I’m passive enough to give into your racism, I’m tired of being discriminated against, you think I’m stealing because I’m white? I’m an American, I served my Country, I pay my Taxes, I’m not a Felon, Why does Wal-Mart continue to persecute me as if I had a Tattoo on my forehead saying don’t trust this guy. Why, Why, Why? Either ask every single customer or don’t ask anyone!

About that time a manager was there flailing his arms in the air and saying we are sorry for any inconvenience, Please Sir have a nice day.

I have seen that same greeter since and he hides when he sees me - LOL

So you humiliated a minimum wage employee who was trying to do his job to the best of his ability and you're bragging about it on the internet? We're all very impressed!

Honestly, what did you or anyone else gain by your rudeness? Did the policy change? Did you get a key to the city? Did you even get a free coupon for a Pepsi? I'm glad you took pride in treating the employee with such disrespect because he was trying to support his family and pay his light bill. :bowdown:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If it helps keep the prices down I have no problem with it.

This is kind of like the "officer safety" argument for being disarmed at a traffic stop.

The gun on my hip has no relavence in any way shape or form with actual officer safety.

The items in my cart have no relavence in any way shape or form to actual theft and lower prices.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Protect your right to privacy like you do your right to carry a gun.

My sentiments exactly, the glancing into my bag at the exit does not deter the shoplifters, they have the “stuff” under their clothes; what next, strip searches? I was starting to get myself a little heated reading a couple response from certain members that said they see no problem with letting some untrained person look into a bag that the cashier from their store had just filled two minutes ago and “ check you paperwork” that was just given to you by this same cashier. How dare they imply their customers are stealing from them?

On the other hand no one dare challenge these same peoples right to wear their gun in that store or any other place. They have their second amendment rights you know. Well what about their 4th and 5th amendments? What about these box stores just showing their customers some respect and quit implying that they might be thieves? They don’t check every bill you give them to see if it might be counterfeit. This subject has bothered me for years and I am glad Annie started this thread. I feel so much better now.:D

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I usually have no problem with them checking my receipt. It would probably be different if they actually started taking up large portions of my time, but three seconds of handing a receipt to a person and then walking out doesn't bother me so much.

The one time I did keep on walking was when the alarm went off. I waited, looking around for about 30 seconds for someone to give me the "go on" signal but no one ever showed up so I just walked on out.

It's all about being reasonable and asking "Is it worth it?". 5-10 seconds of my time is no problem; I'll keep shopping at Wal-mart if that's my only issue. I mean, they slow me down MUCH more by their not having enough registers open (I swear they know EXACTLY what my tipping point is of just leaving their cart in the line and walking out the door). I hope it makes the greeters day a little bit better if I happily comply.

Having to wait 5-10 minutes or being detained and physically searched would probably be different. I've never had this happen, of course, and can't imagine any case where it would (but I can't support a store that threatens all its customers with it [see Hobby Lobby thread]).

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    some untrained person look into a bag that the cashier from their store had just filled two minutes ago and “ check you paperwork” that was just given to you by this same cashier.

What gets me is the ones that "need to see your credit card to compare your signatures"...
    in the first place, those stupid credit card machine pens never work right. It never looks like your signature on the back of your card...

In the second place, I didn't realize they were all handwriting analysis experts.

Lastly, once I handed them a card I'd forgotten to sign...the cashier flipped it over, compared it with the receipt signature...said "thank you" and handed it back. She compare my receipt signature to a blank line...and found a match.
    Another time, I used a card that said "See I.D." on the back and the same thing happened. Apparently, my receipt signature was a spot on match for "See I.D."

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    The solution is simple if you don't want to be hassled: keep walking.

When I worked Loss Prevention we had to witness the suspect enter the department where merchandise was allegedly taken, we had to witness them select the merchandise from the shelf/rack, we had to witness them conceal the merchandise, we had to maintain uninterrupted surveillance of the suspect through the store, and we then had to witness the suspect pass all open and operating checkout stations and leave the store. I can tell you from experience that this is all very easy to do when you know the person is stealing, so my advice would be not to steal in the first place. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to spot thieves once you have some experience and know what to look for. My point is that if the LP team has done all of what I described, they will have made the decision to stop you or not to stop you long before those little sensors have gone off or the greeters have asked for your receipt. The idea that those sensors stop thieves is only accurate in that it's simply a visual deterrent. Same with having the greeters check receipts, it's only to make people think that they will be caught if they try to steal.

I always let them check my reciept because I don't mind being polite and letting them do their job without undue confrontation. If I really felt like it was an imposition though I would just keep walking, problem solved.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Uhhhh....ok...

I won't belabor the point (again) but I did say MY hip and MY cart.

If there is no trust in the system that generates a little pink piece of paper allows people to exercise a God-given right, why have the system?

Because I might "go off the deep end" some day? Please.

If that's the case, why have the system?

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Care to elucidate?
    My original statement was if they want to check my receipt because in my opinion doing so serves as a deterrent to shoplifting and keeps some of the loss from being passed along to me resulting in higher costs..I have no problem with it. And if they happen to catch some goof shoplifting...it's an extra added bonus...IMO. I'm sure you may not agree....and I'm good with that.

It neither makes me feel violated or angry. Nor do I feel the need to curse out or scream at some little old lady. Just my opinion. You may or may not share it. And frankly...I don't care.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I won't belabor the point (again) but I did say MY hip and MY cart.

If there is no trust in the system that generates a little pink piece of paper allows people to exercise a God-given right, why have the system?

Because I might "go off the deep end" some day? Please.

If that's the case, why have the system?
    I was only speaking for myself. If they want to check my receipt...I personally am OK with it. If you are not...I'm OK with that as well.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Maybe if they are actually doing a real inspection

My original statement was if they want to check my receipt because in my opinion doing so serves as a deterrent to shoplifting and keeps some of the loss from being passed along to me resulting in higher costs..I have no problem with it. And if they happen to catch some goof shoplifting...it's an extra added bonus...IMO. I'm sure you may not agree....and I'm good with that.

It neither makes me feel violated or angry. Nor do I feel the need to curse out or scream at some little old lady. Just my opinion. You may or may not share it. And frankly...I don't care.

My issue is when they randomly check people when they are not busy chatting with co-workers. It is like being at the airport when TSA people pat down some ninety year old lady and let four young Arab guys walk through because they have to be politically correct.

Also they need to actually cross check the items to the cash register receipt so they know what you are taking out of the store you really paid for. Anything less is just wasting your time and insulting you, their customer by suggesting you might be stealing from them. It is all a farce and I take it as a personal affront on my rights of unlawful search. How long it takes is not the issue, even wasting a few seconds of your time is a few seconds too much.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom