I know this is going to sound silly, but...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I really need to tell this story. I've been thinking about this experience for days and I can't get it out of my head. This past Saturday I was at work. I manage a pizza joint and lately the drivers have been dropping like flies. Most of the employees don't have a car and ride the bus to and from work. This presents a problem for me. If there aren't enough employees to drive, guess who gets to pick up the slack. Yep, yours truly.

So on Saturday afternoon we were really swamped. I was out on a triple delivery run and complaining to myself about how I would so much rather be running my store than out delivering pizzas. I was in a pretty nasty mood about it. On the last delivery of the run I went up to a house, knocked on the door, and was greeted by an older gentleman who was clearly in a bad state. He was well groomed and clean, but I could tell something just wasn't right. He was having trouble trying to sign his credit card slip for the delivery and kept mumbling about how bad his day had been. He found out while trying to give me his signature that my pen was no longer working and he seemed to have a hard time finding a pen in his house. It's not that the house was dirty or cluttered, he just didn't seem to know what to do. He just looked distraught. He signed the paper and handed it to me.

Then he told me that his wife had lost her battle with cancer that morning. I expressed my condolences as he handed me his signed paper and told me to just keep the pen because mine wasn't "worth a crap". He told me that his wife had been ill for quite some time and that he thought he would just stay in that day, which is why he ordered from us. I told him I thought that sometimes hiding away for a little while is the best way to help the healing process along. He smiled at me with teary eyes and said to me "I like you. You're alright". By the time I got back to my car, I was teary eyed. By the time I got to the end of his street I was bawling like a baby.

I eventually got myself together and finished my day with a pretty heavy heart, but I also made sure to keep a mental note of his name and address. After work I stopped at CVS, bought him a card, came home and wrote him a letter with that pen. It sounds silly, but I feel like any act of generosity in the midst of emotional turmoil is a great and selfless thing. Even if it is something as silly as an ink pen. I truly hope this poor man doesn't think I'm some kind of a psycho stalker, but if he does, so be it. That was something I felt I HAD to do. I've never been so touched by something so small and even now every time I even look at that pen I cherish the things I have in my life and I think about how precious life really is. Don't wait for tomorrow to be thankful for what you have today. Tomorrow may not come. And it's crazy that something as silly as an ink pen can remind me of that

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There's plenty of spaces. Put your glasses on :D

I have my glasses on. Us old farts have issue reading these posts. Makes us go cross-eyed......:D

Edit....I do understand. On my worst day I will run across some poor soul that life is really kicking while they are already down. Keep the pen.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Great story. There is still good people out there, like you. That card will make his day!

I really do hope so. And even if it doesn't, I really needed to do that. I can't let someone make such an unbelievable impression on me without letting them know. I doubt he has any idea just what I felt that day, but hopefully the letter I sent with the card will shed some light on it.

stationhollow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    by the river
    good job MR REDNECK. people of that age only have each other and when you lose your partner its people like you that give meaning to life without them. as far as the way you wrote your post ( who gives a rats butt) we aint in english class.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    She aint no MR and you should have seen it before she edited it.:D

You're lucky I like you. I thought about sizing the whole thing down a little bit just to **** you off...but I decided I would cut you a break....this time.

And be nice to the new guy. He hasn't posted enough to realize I'm of the fairer gender yet

Top Bottom