• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I just do not understand how the knife made him look out of place but a gun would not. Take "knife" and replace it with "gun" and people would be calling Cochran for representation.

I would hope that if he seemed "totally out of place" but it was not the way he dressed or looked, that you would have notified if he a gun. What bothered you if it was not the way he looked or was dressed?

Something just does not sit right with me on this one...

You would have to had to be there. I wish I had video. To me, there are knives and guns that are normal, and then there are knives and guns that are not in that situation. This was a big knife. If he would have been carrying a shotgun, or an AK-47, I probably would have reacted the same way.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    You would have to had to be there. I wish I had video. To me, there are knives and guns that are normal, and then there are knives and guns that are not in that situation. This was a big knife. If he would have been carrying a shotgun, or an AK-47, I probably would have reacted the same way.

I am surprised that people are not arguing that there are not normal guns and abnormal guns. Who is to decide what is an acceptable gun to carry?

If an LEO came up to you and said that you should not be OC'ing your Glock or carrying the AK in a sling because a Keltec 380 would do the job - you would be ok with that?

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I am surprised that people are not arguing that there are not normal guns and abnormal guns. Who is to decide what is an acceptable gun to carry?

If an LEO came up to you and said that you should not be OC'ing your Glock or carrying the AK in a sling because a Keltec 380 would do the job - you would be ok with that?

Well I don't own anything worth OC'ing, nor do I own any assault weapons, not that I have anything against them. I would expect to be stopped if I were carrying my shotgun into a hospital and I would expect that if it were I carrying that knife that big and in that way, somebody may be alarmed and rightfully so in this post 9/11 world we live in. FYI, I am compfortable CC with my .38.

Obviously I made a mistake, but at least I erred on the side of safety. I hope it can be a learning experience for all of us. Now the question is would I do it again.

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Don't worry about it Travis, he's VERY easy going. I'm off for the next week but I'll bring it up when I go back in. I'm sure he'll have forgotten all about it by then though.

If he even knew about it! It sounds like EVERYONE here acted appropriately-- the OP saw something that looked out of place, and reported it appropriately. It was up to Security there to check it out and determine if there was any threat, and it sounds like they didn't overreact. Good on everyone involved.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Was the bike parked in an employee spot, visitor spot, or haphazardly placed? If parked oddly I would be more concerned. I think you did fine. I think the nurses up front could have at least called security though.

VaGriller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Avon
    Are we talking like a Rambo knife?

I'm trying to wrap my head around your situation, however I feel what you did is no different than what happens when some sheep sees one of us OC/CC'ing and calls the cops.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville

I'm trying to wrap my head around your situation, however I feel what you did is no different than what happens when some sheep sees one of us OC/CC'ing and calls the cops.

I went to Buck's page and picked out one that looks close to the knife I am trying to describe.

BUCK

Not quite a Rambo survival knife, but not for cleaning fingernails either.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Ahh, the famous Buck 119. I carry one of those. I've been asked by two different Wally Worlds to leave it in my car when it's been on my belt. The first was at the store that sold it to me. The second was sure it was ok for me to carry, but because the door greeter had already asked me to leave it in my car, they weren't going to correct him on the policy, nor correct him on public relations.

The second incident happened just prior to me obtaining my Larry. Now, I OC everytime I walk into that store. I've never been bothered because of that.

remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Sounds to me like you did the right thing. You said you are usually cordial and welcoming to everyone you make eye contact with and your gut said something was wrong with this guy. Most times, where people get into trouble is when they second guess their gut feeling. +1 to you and your actions.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    Seriously?? Where do you not need a gun?? You are most susceptable to attack when your guard is down and not "concerned". I could not disagree with you anymore!

Good - it was suppossed to be in purple to show the absurdity of TT's position that the knife was NG and a gun is GTG. They are both GTG (where legal of course).

BTW, whoever on INGO took my purple key off my keyboard please put it back - I know it was one of you bastages.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Good - it was suppossed to be in purple to show the absurdity of TT's position that the knife was NG and a gun is GTG. They are both GTG (where legal of course).

BTW, whoever on INGO took my purple key off my keyboard please put it back - I know it was one of you bastages.

Hey glad too see this was the case!!!:rockwoot:

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana

Are you saying that you wouldln't be the least bit unnerved if somebody came walking by your table in a restaurant with an AR?

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana

I disagree. If you were walking around with your handgun drawn and stuck in your armpit then I'd be wondering about your intentions.

Top Bottom