• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VaGriller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Avon
    I disagree. If you were walking around with your handgun drawn and stuck in your armpit then I'd be wondering about your intentions.

Who said anything about the knife was drawn? He said the knife was in its sheath carrying it against a folder. The guy might have been carrying it that way to draw less attention to it, than on his hip.

I honestly see no difference between what the OP did, and when we are out and going about our lives, somebody sees our CC or OC, and they get that same pit feeling in their stomach because they are uninformed as to our rights, or scared and call the police.

Zero difference here. Sorry OP, I've got to disagree with what you did, especially since you said the guy acknowledged you, made eye contact and smiled. I haven't met very many tweekers or people with bad intentions that act like that.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Its one of those things where you cannot quite put your finger on it to put it into words, but you "feel" something is not right just the same. If I were carrying and someone "made" me and called the police, I would be polite as long as when the police approached me and asked for I.D. and my permit(s) they stayed within the parameters of the law. I know, even though I would not agree with it, that some people are just either nosey or on a mission to set the world right. These are the types to make problems for people like us. I would not view what you did as one of those people. Like you said, if he had the knife strapped on his belt you probably would not have even thought twice about it. I think you did the right thing.:twocents:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Good - it was suppossed to be in purple to show the absurdity of TT's position that the knife was NG and a gun is GTG. They are both GTG (where legal of course).

BTW, whoever on INGO took my purple key off my keyboard please put it back - I know it was one of you bastages.
    I spilled the purple yesterday, sorry.

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    Its one of those things where you cannot quite put your finger on it to put it into words, but you "feel" something is not right just the same. If I were carrying and someone "made" me and called the police, I would be polite as long as when the police approached me and asked for I.D. and my permit(s) they stayed within the parameters of the law. I know, even though I would not agree with it, that some people are just either nosey or on a mission to set the world right. These are the types to make problems for people like us. I would not view what you did as one of those people. Like you said, if he had the knife strapped on his belt you probably would not have even thought twice about it. I think you did the right thing.:twocents:

What is it that makes "our"(gun owners) gut feelings so superior to "their"(non gun owners) gut feelings?

I am not going to flame the OP or call him names but IMO if you need to come to the net seeking validation for a choice then you already know deep down that you are wrong.

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    It depends - what am I eating?

Whatever, man. If I saw you walk into a restaurant carrying an AR, I would stop you at the door and try to talk some sense into you.

I sympathize with the open carry argument. I just don't think that shocking your opposition into acceptance is a very intelligent response to people who are afraid of guns. It makes about as much sense as throwing a non-swimmer into a lake to teach him to swim.

Last edited:

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    You didn't shoot him, you reported him for looking suspicious. You did the right thing. If he did something bad, you'd have been a coward not to go with your gut.

So this argument will also stand for every one of the so called sheeple we like to ***** about so much here that has ever made a MWAG report... cause really, it would have been cowardly for them not to follow their gut and call the police about the scary man with a weapon in public right?

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Thanks for everyone's input. In the end, I think there is no absolutely correct answer. If I made a mistake, it was with safety in mind. I am just glad nothing bad happened involving that guy and his knife.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    I sympathize with the open carry argument. I just don't think that shocking your opposition into acceptance is a very intelligent response to people who are afraid of guns. It makes about as much sense as throwing a non-swimmer into a lake to teach him to swim.

I agree with you but not sure the connection. I think you are missing my point - it is not about shocking. I do not OC because I do not want to "shock" the people where I go. I also do not carry an AR where I go. Both are my choice. However, the montra of this site is that since it is legal for me to carry my AR, I should be able to do so without someone calling the police. Yet, almost no one has said much in ths thread because it was a knife. It is okay to be suspicious with a knife but not a gun.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    So this argument will also stand for every one of the so called sheeple we like to ***** about so much here that has ever made a MWAG report... cause really, it would have been cowardly for them not to follow their gut and call the police about the scary man with a weapon in public right?

Based on the responses in this thread, I think we know your answer.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I think I wouldve done the same thing, not because he had it, but how he was carrying it. I personally dont OC for the looks you get but I have stopped OCers not to harass, but for a friendly conversation about guns not the why do you open carry.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I agree with you but not sure the connection. I think you are missing my point - it is not about shocking. I do not OC because I do not want to "shock" the people where I go. I also do not carry an AR where I go. Both are my choice. However, the montra of this site is that since it is legal for me to carry my AR, I should be able to do so without someone calling the police. Yet, almost no one has said much in ths thread because it was a knife. It is okay to be suspicious with a knife but not a gun.
    My only question would be: What kind of food would make you freak out the most if you were eating it when somebody walked by carrying an AR?

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    In general I think people who own guns are not as freaked out when they see guns. Ive heard mulitple people tell me there was a guy that live in Carthadge that carried an AR around his shoulder everywhere he went

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I understand his concern for safety but, the guy said good morning and there could have been a couple reasons the guy didn't have his knife sheath on his belt.
    Also, the receptionists may have known he worked there.
    Last but not least, the guy looked like he just got off a bike but, there was no bike. Are you sure you seen a knife?

Last edited:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just read through every post. If the man greeted me, smiled, walked purposefully instead of surreptitiously, I would have gone about my business. Carrying the knife under the arm could be an alternative to having it on the belt in the car or on the bike.

My opinion: Overreaction similar to MWAG call. Helps me understand the other side of the argument.

However, if I see a guy walking into a restaurant with an AR or AK over his shoulder, I am leaving unless he is part of my group (in which case I would suggest he leave the long gun in the vehicle before I decided to leave). Doing that is just arrogant ostentation designed to draw attention and start an argument. Any hope of a quiet enjoyable meal just just disappeared like a Rambo wanna-be when the cops show up. OC your handgun. Leave the long gun in vehicle. It's called respect and good manners.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It is more of the other way. A good bacon sandwhich can make me pretty oblivious.
    I see your point. I tend to zone out almost in a trance like state when i'm eating good bacon too. My SA is almost nil.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    that is just arrogant ostentation ...QUOTE]

What does a cocky baby doctor have to do with thread?

I actually think your post makes sense. Even though it is legal, I personally think it is stupid - but that is my opinion and I cannot dictate how he legally carries. Do I shame or call police because I personally do not approve? That is my point...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom