• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    A couple of things that are being left out...

1.) The Officer was responding to a Disturbance call at that address...
    2.) The dog was barking and approaching him...

Original report states suspicious person, disturbance was also reported but only in relation to the subdivision. I may be at the medias disgression here but out of the 6 articles I just went through none of them stated he was reporting to that address.. report of suspicious person selling meat out of the back of a pick up truck, I am sure that person was in someones yard... Report of suspicious person selling meat results in dead family dog there was a white pickup in the driveway why not pull up behind it to check or better yet I am sure you could see a refrigeration unit from the road..

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Original report states suspicious person, disturbance was also reported but only in relation to the subdivision. I may be at the medias disgression here but out of the 6 articles I just went through none of them stated he was reporting to that address.. report of suspicious person selling meat out of the back of a pick up truck, I am sure that person was in someones yard... Report of suspicious person selling meat results in dead family dog there was a white pickup in the driveway why not pull up behind it to check or better yet I am sure you could see a refrigeration unit from the road..

I cede to your point about the Address...

I was meaning to point out the Deputy was in the Area due to a Possible Crime. Not that he just decided he you know what I have not shot any ones Dog for a while, screw it that Golden Retriever over there looks like the one I want to shoot today... ;)

elpenguin0717

Marksman
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    indy
    in all honesty i hate seeing stuff like this cause i love my dog but i know if i was walking around and saw a dog charge at me i wouldnt hesitate to shoot i grew up on the southside of chicago in the crazy 100s and iv ran from so many pitbulls its not even funny but now that im packing no more running for my life lol

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I cede to your point about the Address...

I was meaning to point out the Deputy was in the Area due to a Possible Crime. Not that he just decided he you know what I have not shot any ones Dog for a while, screw it that Golden Retriever over there looks like the one I want to shoot today... ;)

I am not out to get anybody, just seems like there were some poor decisions made. If I am checking on a suspicious vehicle why not pull up behind it so they can't run you over? Would have known immediately about the dog and no harm no foul. Responding to the crime once again more light, mobility (in certain situations), and some protection from the vehicle than on foot. A dog is going to be a dog and protect it's family no matter what piece of tin you pin on your chest. I appreciate all good LEOs and everything they do, but the nature of the thankless job is that your always under public scrutiny for what you did wrong instead of what you did right.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I am not out to get anybody, just seems like there were some poor decisions made. If I am checking on a suspicious vehicle why not pull up behind it so they can't run you over? Would have known immediately about the dog and no harm no foul. Responding to the crime once again more light, mobility (in certain situations), and some protection from the vehicle than on foot. A dog is going to be a dog and protect it's family no matter what piece of tin you pin on your chest. I appreciate all good LEOs and everything they do, but the nature of the thankless job is that your always under public scrutiny for what you did wrong instead of what you did right.

Did not mean to sound surly.

I am merely trying to point out, perhaps inadequately, that we all know the Media is usually not telling the whole truth, or an unbiased view point. It also appears to me that lately the Media is throwing their weight against the LEO, much as they did with Service Members in the 60's and 70's.

There are at least 2 sides to every story. Have we gotten the truth out of the Media?! :dunno:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Did not mean to sound surly.

I am merely trying to point out, perhaps inadequately, that we all know the Media is usually not telling the whole truth, or an unbiased view point. It also appears to me that lately the Media is throwing their weight against the LEO, much as they did with Service Members in the 60's and 70's.

There are at least 2 sides to every story. Have we gotten the truth out of the Media?! :dunno:

Took it more as dismissive than surly. I personally hate the media for what they are doing to our boys and girls now and what they did to them in the 60's and 70s. Good officers are harder and harder to come by now a days, many aren't on top of their p's and q's anymore. I know some fresh out of the academy boys that know the law better than a lot of the higher ups on the local pd and that just doesn't seem right.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    SELLING MEAT?? My gosh, the stupid things that we consider crimes in this country.

Maybe they wanted to check him for a LTSM.

You can't just have people selling meat without a license. This isn't the Wild West.

:n00b:

Stupid things indeed.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I sell these underground fence systems at work...they aren't guaranteed to stop every dog from going past the fence..I've had plenty of customers tell me so firsthand. If the dog's adrenaline is flowing, he'll take the shock to go through that fence. Yes it's tragic that a family pet was shot and killed. However, like other people have pointed out, a large dog running AT someone could be perceived as a threat right? However, yes, the LEO could have used a non lethal approach first.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I sell these underground fence systems at work...they aren't guaranteed to stop every dog from going past the fence..I've had plenty of customers tell me so firsthand. If the dog's adrenaline is flowing, he'll take the shock to go through that fence. Yes it's tragic that a family pet was shot and killed. However, like other people have pointed out, a large dog running AT someone could be perceived as a threat right? However, yes, the LEO could have used a non lethal approach first.

Golden retriver big :): maybe the big bone dobie experience I had throws off my perception of dog size but a goldie seems small to me.. enough with the jokes though underground fences are **** the only thing it kept my dog from doing was coming back in the yard after she bolted. That was my first dog and I had no business trying to train her and my parents I think lost patience as we got stuck with her in the first place (stray.) All three of the pit bulls I have had since won't leave the yard to even chase a bunny although they would really love to. still sticking to :draw: my guns, if the dog was a threat it is a good possibility it is because the officer was uninvited.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    Golden retriver big :): maybe the big bone dobie experience I had throws off my perception of dog size but a goldie seems small to me.. enough with the jokes though underground fences are **** the only thing it kept my dog from doing was coming back in the yard after she bolted. That was my first dog and I had no business trying to train her and my parents I think lost patience as we got stuck with her in the first place (stray.) All three of the pit bulls I have had since won't leave the yard to even chase a bunny although they would really love to. still sticking to :draw: my guns, if the dog was a threat it is a good possibility it is because the officer was uninvited.

I've seen Golden's that are as big as or bigger then a decent Dobie...Same for Lab's too...some breeder's don't read the breed standard when they're picking breeding stock. So they also get behavioral issues, like aggression. NOT saying big Goldens are vicious. And that's exactly what happens with the underground fencing. The dog gets an adrenaline surge, gets out then comes down and won't take the shock to go back in. The collar that 90% of these dogs are wearing has a 6 volt battery giving a poke... As far as the officer being uninvited and perceived as a threat by the dog, my dog is the same way. She's not near as big as a Golden or a Dobie but she'd try...and get shot for it?

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I've seen Golden's that are as big as or bigger then a decent Dobie...Same for Lab's too...some breeder's don't read the breed standard when they're picking breeding stock. So they also get behavioral issues, like aggression. NOT saying big Goldens are vicious. And that's exactly what happens with the underground fencing. The dog gets an adrenaline surge, gets out then comes down and won't take the shock to go back in. The collar that 90% of these dogs are wearing has a 6 volt battery giving a poke... As far as the officer being uninvited and perceived as a threat by the dog, my dog is the same way. She's not near as big as a Golden or a Dobie but she'd try...and get shot for it?

Our big bone was tipping 200 and every bit of 3 foot at the shoulders when he died, and not from his weight either. I have never seen a lab even try to be that big. In short answer yes your dog probably would be shot, just because it happens doesn't mean it is right though.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    Our big bone was tipping 200 and every bit of 3 foot at the shoulders when he died, and not from his weight either. I have never seen a lab even try to be that big. In short answer yes your dog probably would be shot, just because it happens doesn't mean it is right though.

No, no Lab's that big.
    I'm not saying it's right, not at all. I'm not implying it's wrong OR it's right either way...there are too many factor's that I have no knowledge of. I don't have the training a LEO has and I've never personally been in a situation like that. I could sit here and say what I would do in their place but I won't. So I prefer to focus my efforts to try to ensure I never put MY dog in that situation

Last edited:

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    No, no Lab's that big.
    I'm not saying it's right, not at all. I'm not implying it's wrong OR it's right either way...there are too many factor's that I have no knowledge of. I don't have the training a LEO has and I've never personally been in a situation like that. I could sit here and say what I would do in their place but I won't. So I prefer to focus my efforts to try to ensure I never put MY dog in that situation[/quote]

THAT. If everyone did that, this thread would not exist.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    No, no Lab's that big.
    I'm not saying it's right, not at all. I'm not implying it's wrong OR it's right either way...there are too many factor's that I have no knowledge of. I don't have the training a LEO has and I've never personally been in a situation like that. I could sit here and say what I would do in their place but I won't. So I prefer to focus my efforts to try to ensure I never put MY dog in that situation

No, no Lab's that big.
    I'm not saying it's right, not at all. I'm not implying it's wrong OR it's right either way...there are too many factor's that I have no knowledge of. I don't have the training a LEO has and I've never personally been in a situation like that. I could sit here and say what I would do in their place but I won't. So I prefer to focus my efforts to try to ensure I never put MY dog in that situation[/quote]

THAT. If everyone did that, this thread would not exist.

Guess you better get a cat then boys if you don't want it to bark at uninvited guests.. I am not going to train my dog to be defenseless so it can A) watch somebody rob me blind or B) be mutilated, maimed, killed, or stolen and abused by said intruder. There is a fine line between obedience and slavery.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Guess you better get a cat then boys if you don't want it to bark at uninvited guests.. I am not going to train my dog to be defenseless so it can A) watch somebody rob me blind or B) be mutilated, maimed, killed, or stolen and abused by said intruder. There is a fine line between obedience and slavery.
    :yesway::yesway:

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy

I don't want my dog to be defenseless...however I don't want my dog to decided that it's ok to attack any person that happens to be on my property, or in this case, inside my apartment. She's permitted to bark when someone knocks on the door, I encourage it. I reward it.

Top Bottom