• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    Point #1 No dog is going to respond to a strangers commands and dogs do NOT recognize police as authority figures.

Point #2 Officer was trespassing, no warrant and no reasonable evidence to support being on the property.

Point #3 Doesn't matter what breed, exhaust non-lethal defense on PETS before resorting to lethal force when you are trespassing on the property the PET belongs.

Point #4 Police aren't exempt from criticism, they are human and make mistakes. The badge, uniform, and gun does not give any officer to do as they please.

I have had several Golden's in my lifetime, I am on #2 rescue right now. Golden's can be aggressive too when cornered, scared, or attacked first. Golden's can also be very aggressive towards anyone in a uniform who has entered their property and their owner is not present.
    None of mine have ever harmed anyone, but they sure have scared the crap out of several service type people in uniform who had business on my property.

I am sorry this family lost their pet, I'm also sorry that too many people think a firearm is a first choice against a family pet on the family's property.

:yesway:

Silverlie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Anderson
    I'm not sure which form of chemical agent the police department in question carries, but OC, which is now the most common for LEO's was initially designed as a bear deterrent, I would think if it would work on a bear, it would probably also work on pretty much any dog, regardless of breed.

alluwant

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    look at it however you want to the cop was on his territory he was doing his job, it was a golden retriever lets get real i thought in the academy you get like 3 months training im not cop hating i have many friends that are cops, but i guess im a dog lover.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Once again, I can't see the video, so I'm going by the comments made on this thread. It's unfortunate the cop decided to shoot the dog, but it's understandable, based on their training and the kind of stuff they likely see every day. A cop's primary motivation has to be finishing his shift safely and going home to his family. Sometimes, even that mindset doesn't help a cop to get to go home after his shift (as David Moore's death witnesses). When in doubt, the officer will likely revert to his training: attempt to issue verbal commands; assess the threat; and neutralize the threat, if necessary. Cops are not trained to "shoot to miss" or "shoot to wound". The right thing for the department to do would be replace the dog with another like it.

Last edited:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Once again, I can't see the video, so I'm going by the comments made on this thread. It's unfortunate the cop decided to shoot the dog, but it's understandable, based on their training and the kind of stuff they likely see every day. The right thing for the department to do would be replace the dog with another like it.

Respectfully, ain't no way in hell that would make anyone feel better. That would be salt in an open wound to me if they brought me a bubbly new puppy after they shot my dog.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I will admit.

If your family Pet happens to be wondering around where I live you probably will not have him show back up for his Suppertime. Who is the bad guy here me for shooting a stray dog, or you as the Owner who could not Train your Pet?!

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I will admit.

If your family Pet happens to be wondering around where I live you probably will not have him show back up for his Suppertime. Who is the bad guy here me for shooting a stray dog, or you as the Owner who could not Train your Pet?!

Maybe I am getting threads confused or you are, but I do believe this dog was shot in his own yard, the officer was the stray so to speak.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    For many people, killing a dog is no different than squashing a bug. It's not on the level as a human...doesn't mean much to do it, even though they are cute and we have them as house pets. Others don't feel the same way about em. Sounds cruel but true.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Another reason having an invisible fence for your dog in the FRONT YARD is a bad idea. I really, really hate the invisible fences - can you tell? Unlike an actual fence, people do not notice it as a barrier, and do not realize the animal is confined. Signs can help, but people tend to not notice them anyway (especially when a dog is barking, it becomes a focal point).

That being said, who the hell thinks they have the right to go onto someone's property and then shoot the resident's dog? If you walk into someones front yard, and see a dog that may pose a threat - LEAVE. Do not run, just slowly back up out of the yard. Most of the time, the dog is not going to follow, fence or not.

The fact that he was an officer makes little difference in my mind. The only difference that makes, is that he was likely carrying and trained with other weapons. Yes, firing a tazer would likely not be effective - but a dry stun from same said weapon? How about, the spray made just for that situation? I dunno, maybe the ASP or nightstick...

"after they say the dog ignored commands to stop, the officer fired" - Really? Seriously? ... WTF ... :rolleyes:

In the end, he had many options that did not require shooting the dog. He chose to shoot the dog. I bet his co-workers are having a good time with this one. He will forever be known at the station as the brave dog killer.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    hate

During my court appearance, my neighbor who was watching the two Rotts (one of which I shot), said, "I don't know why, but Zoomie just hates animals."

No..Zoomie doesn't hate animals. Zoomie has owned and does own pets.

What Zoomie hates is being bitten, mauled, or killed on his own property by two vicious and unrestrained dogs.

What Zoomie hates is people who put a greater value on an animal than that of a human being, and them expecting Zoomie and everybody else to believe in the same thing about their precious fuzzy bundles of joy which roam freely and use the entire neighborhood as a toilet.

What Zoomie hates is hypocrite pet owners who do not take responsibility for their pets.

What Zoomie hates is other people telling him when, where, and how he should defend himself on his own property.

What Zoomie hates is irresponsible pet owners telling him he should have remained a prisoner in his home and waited for the police to handle the problem in their own sweet time.

Zoomie hates a lot of things, and Zoomie stays warm, but he does not hate animals.

:xmad:

Hate.

:):

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    During my court appearance, my neighbor who was watching the two Rotts (one of which I shot), said, "I don't know why, but Zoomie just hates animals."

No..Zoomie doesn't hate animals. Zoomie has owned and does own pets.

What Zoomie hates is being bitten, mauled, or killed on his own property by two vicious and unrestrained dogs.

What Zoomie hates is people who put a greater value on an animal than that of a human being, and them expecting Zoomie and everybody else to believe in the same thing about their precious fuzzy bundles of joy which roam freely and use the entire neighborhood as a toilet.

What Zoomie hates is hypocrite pet owners who do not take responsibility for their pets.

What Zoomie hates is other people telling him when, where, and how he should defend himself on his own property.

What Zoomie hates is irresponsible pet owners telling him he should have remained a prisoner in his home and waited for the police to handle the problem in their own sweet time.

Zoomie hates a lot of things, and Zoomie stays warm, but he does not hate animals.

:xmad:

Hate.

:):

Here is the key thing though you were on your property and had every right to protect yourself and your property, which is the very thing the dog was trying to do was protect his property. The difference is you didn't die for it, your wallet may have a bit but you are still intact if I am not mistaken.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Here is the key thing though you were on your property and had every right to protect yourself and your property, which is the very thing the dog was trying to do was protect his property.
    The dog must be afforded equal rights?:popcorn:

The difference is you didn't die for it, your wallet may have a bit but you are still intact if I am not mistaken.
    If he attacked the dog, and the dog killed him in self defense, then the dog would have been justified as well.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    The dog must be afforded equal rights?:popcorn:

Why not this government is giving them to illegals everyday.

If he attacked the dog, and the dog killed him in self defense, then the dog would have been justified as well.

You are comparing apples to oranges.. Walter was on his property, this LEO for all intense purposes would have been trespassing if it weren't for the badge he wears. If you or I had been on their property and shot a dog do you think we would be here discussing this? No. Common sense would dictate if you are a fugitive from the law your not going to go into a yard with a dog that alerts to trespassers. Common sense would dictate that you retreat from the dog's yard, or use several of the other less than lethal weapons that you are trained for. You can try and justify it all day long that just because it was a dog it is okay but my :twocents: says that it isn't.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    A couple of things that are being left out...

1.) The Officer was responding to a Disturbance call at that address...
    2.) The dog was barking and approaching him...

Top Bottom