Hypothetical Assault Weapon Ban Question...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seagullplayer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    Crawford Co
    Don't worry, when they knock on your door just tell them your Muslim and offended by their questions!

The feds had this fool under investigation on at least two occasions and let him go. :(

Is this the same government that is going to background check the Syrian refugees?

That joke in the White House can't even use the right name.

Screw registration. Vote well..

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    The odds of any type of anti-gun legislation being passed in this political climate is incredibly small. Democrats, many of whom pay lip service to gunowners, would be more than happy to infringe upon our right after an election year. With a major election coming up in only a few months, these so-called "conservative" Democrats know that their constituents will remember their anti-gun votes.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    At the time the US Constitution was ratified, each state had it's own army.

The original purpose of the 2nd Amendment was to forbid the federal government from having any power to regulate arms in the states.

It was to be totally up to each state to pass it's own laws with regard to arms.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    At the time the US Constitution was ratified, each state had it's own army.

The original purpose of the 2nd Amendment was to forbid the federal government from having any power to regulate arms in the states.

It was to be totally up to each state to pass it's own laws with regard to arms.

^^^ Man knows his history

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    The odds of any type of anti-gun legislation being passed in this political climate is incredibly small. Democrats, many of whom pay lip service to gunowners, would be more than happy to infringe upon our right after an election year. With a major election coming up in only a few months, these so-called "conservative" Democrats know that their constituents will remember their anti-gun votes.

I things are safe for the rest of this year. Things will hinge on the House and Senate results in November. The GOP has a lot of seats to defend. If the Democrats take control with a decent majority, look for gun control to be a priority.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I had a similar question as I was a kid during the last assault weapon ban. What exactly was banned? Was it lowers you couldn't buy or was every component of the AR banned?
    In other words if I already have the lower and the same ban went into affect(same grandfather clause, restrictions etc) would I be able to finish the build?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I things are safe for the rest of this year. Things will hinge on the House and Senate results in November. The GOP has a lot of seats to defend. If the Democrats take control with a decent majority, look for gun control to be a priority.

If that's the case, you better hope like hell Trump doesn't come out of the convention with the nomination. He's better at mobilizing liberals, that any Democrat.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I had a similar question as I was a kid during the last assault weapon ban. What exactly was banned? Was it lowers you couldn't buy or was every component of the AR banned?
    In other words if I already have the lower and the same ban went into affect(same grandfather clause, restrictions etc) would I be able to finish the build?

Cosmetics. You could buy pretty much everything. Pre-ban was grandfathered in. New rifles needed very little to be compliant, most did it by eliminating the muzzle device.

The real PITA was magazines. There were plenty of AR mags, but some pistol mags were rare/expensive.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have a hard time believing that state rights was the motivating factor behind behind the 2A when the amendment never mentions the states...but secures the right to the people​.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Cosmetics. You could buy pretty much everything. Pre-ban was grandfathered in. New rifles needed very little to be compliant, most did it by eliminating the muzzle device.

The real PITA was magazines. There were plenty of AR mags, but some pistol mags were rare/expensive.

Ahh so they could sell everything rifle wise, just couldn't have it configured 'assault-y'

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

You forget the most important part... bayonet lugs.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You forget the most important part... bayonet lugs.

Yes, my HBAR Sporter has no bayonet lug.
    :xmad:

I bought a bayonet.
    For some reason, I received a letter, says I can own an AR, and a bayonet, but I can't put the bayonet on the AR.
    You know, cause of that problem with robberies with $1200 rifles with a pig sticker on it. (ok, this line is sarcasm)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yes, my HBAR Sporter has no bayonet lug.

I bought a bayonet.
    For some reason, I received a letter, says I can own an AR, and a bayonet, but I can't put the bayonet on the AR.
    You know, cause of that problem with robberies with $1200 rifles with a pig sticker on it. (ok, this line is sarcasm)

Dang. I can't find it.
    I wonder if it's in the bottom of my safe.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Ahh so they could sell everything rifle wise, just couldn't have it configured 'assault-y'

Everything except new magazines that held over 10 rounds. There's so many pre-ban AR and AK mags that it didn't matter much for those guns.

If you had a pistol grip and a detachable magazine, you were ok. If you added a bayonet lug or flash suppressor, you now had an assault weapon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban#Criteria_of_an_assault_weapon

Explains it pretty well and lists the "features" that you could only have one of on a semi-auto rifle with a detachable magazine. Honestly, the folding stock/collapsible stock was the biggest PITA. If you had a folder AK you had to have it welded (or similar) in the open position if it wasn't pre-ban.

Top Bottom